Experiment in Beauty
By Stenn on
2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)
As much as I love my 6-speed Shinka, I'd have to admit it's more an academic exercise in engineering and beauty, a "proof-of-concept" of the rotary engine, than a practical 21st century car. In this age of drying-up oil supplies and soaring fuel-cost, the gas-mileage on this work of art will "kill" you. I'm getting 14MPG no matter how careful I am, while my old, heavy, automatic '95 Nissan Pathfinder regularly gets 17MPG, go figure! Just driving normally ends up with 14mpg. I've only seen one owner-review that says he accomplishes the advertised 24/18, and I'd REALLY like to know how!
Favorite Features
What else is there ... the styling and power, of course! That's what this car is ALL about. Regardless of the fuel economy, I can't take my eyes off the car, I still find it breathtaking, a work of beauty and art, even as I watch the gas-gauge visibly drop. I actually feel guilty driving the car.
Suggested Improvements
Obviously, GAS MILEAGE! And rear-visibility, especially at the 4 o'clock position, is significantly restricted and takes some getting used to. I would also suggest bigger side-view mirrors, they are a bit too small.