2005 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Review: Another love-hate relationship

2005 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Review

Another love-hate relationship
By Liz on

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

While I love the look and feel of my car I have had many difficulties with it. Mazda acknowledges the engine problems that the 2004/2005 RX 8's have and thus have extended the drive train warranty. However, my car has been in the shop more times that I can count. The check engine light is constantly on, even after my engine was replaced! Started with the typical stalling you see in these cars, and went downhill from there. Most recently my oil cooler line completely rusted out, which the mechanic states he has seen in multiple RX 8s. It's a fun car, but as the dealership has told me AFTER pushing me to purchase the car...it should be used as a sports car, not your every day car.

Comfort and the way it handles are great! Love the design and the suicide doors.

MPG, engine issues, tends to lose a lot of power when A/C is on. Not good in snow weather, snow tires and some weight in the trunk are a big help.