2005 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Review: An Amazing Compromise

2005 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Review

Manual Coupe (1.3L 6-speed Manual)

An Amazing Compromise
By GTRacer on

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

After 15+ years in front-wheel drive slushbox-equipped cars, I told my wife my next car would be RWD with manual transmission. She said fine, as long as it had four seats so I could continue to take the kids to school. I knew going in that the car was light on torque and thirsty for fuel. I didn't really mind because I was looking for a driver's car, not an econobox or quarter-mile dueler. The car is amazing to drive and I have yet to find its limits. I replaced the tires with BFG gForce KDWs so, with the amazing suspension I suspect the limits are high indeed. Launched properly it can go well enough but it really likes to turn and stop too. Comfort and accommodations are good too.

Handling, driver's seat comfort. Wonderful note when revved hard at WOT. Spooky brakes and suspension that defy all expectations. Appearance. Ability to move four people. The smile I get from Zoom-Zoom

HP is fine but more torque please - with three passengers launches are noticeably boggier. The A/C button should be the sole control of the compressor! Button off, comp off! Fix taillight seals. Faster warmups would be nice (Car is in FL but still takes 5+ minutes to reach normal temp).