Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Still a treat to drive after 3 years!
By dna

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I don't know of a better handling sports car for less than 5 times the price. The ride is firm, but comfortable. I am blown away with how comfortable a long distance cruiser the RX-8 is. I get 20 mpg combined city/hwy with spirited, but legal, driving. The rotary engine responds well to some pampering. I use 4 oz synthetic 2-cycle oil and 4 oz Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube in every 10 gallons of gas. That's probably why my mileage is better than most. Even a mechanic at the dealer commented that it was the smoothest running RX- 8 he had ever heard. The off-the-line grunt is weak, but once you get the revs up to 5000 rpm it is a winner. Drive the rotary right (high rpm) and you will be thrilled!

Handling, ride, styling inside and out)

Better OEM tires -- the car rides 100% better with Avon M550 A/S; taller 6th gear for better hwy cruising mpg.

Great value, great fun
By Bob

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought this car used 15 months ago. For the money, it's hard to imagine a car that offers the combination of spirited driving, mechanical quality, and inspired style. I also see no more than two RX-8s per month driving in the Chicago area. It's sweet to drive a rarely-seen car among all the bland brands. The car has a cool factor that usually comes with cars twice the sticker price. The only negatives? The paint chips easily and the gas mileage stinks. I knew that going in, though.

Styling, value, high rev rotary, the smile on my face every time I approach.

A little better gas mileage.

Exciting Machine
By Chris

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought my car as a left over model so it was still brand new but with a nice discount. That and the style were initially my main reasons for purchasing the car. I would say I'm glad the pieces came together the way they did. I have owned 20 cars and 1 motorcycle and I'm only 30, and this vehicle is one of the most fun I have driven. One downfall was it didn't start out as fast as I would have liked but with a few minor upgrades the motor woke up a lot and it is now as fast as a 2008 Mustang GT 5 speed but handles 10 times better. Tests have been done with a stock RX-8 vs a 350z which is a faster car, the RX-8 matched the 350z's track time because the handling was superb to the quicker car.

The high revving motor and 6 speed transmission, rear wheel drive, sexy style that woman love, very tight responsive steering, and of course the comfortable ride while still having excellent handling.

A turbo of course, even if just with a mild 5 psi of boost.

Can you trash it?
By Street Breed Rx8

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I drive my 05 GT every day and take it to the strip every weekend. It's a great automobile for the person that likes to go a little faster with a little more style. Amazing grip on the black top. Aggressive look, can't go wrong with a 9,000 rpm redline. When you first start the RX-8 the motor makes the best sound in the world. I thrash my RX-8 every day of the week. The Greddy turbo is a great turbo to add to the RX-8 upwards of 70hp gain. and it makes you forget about the absence of torque. Top end never fails. Had it stock up to 143 mph. No problems with maintenence so far. However be careful where your feet are. a couple wrong moves and the RX-8 will flood in a heart beat. Best car ever.

9,000 RPM redline. Phenomenal top end from a 1.3 liter. Amazing sound from only a rotary motor. Aggressive look. Rear wheel drive. DSC traction and stability control. Suicide rear doors.

More torque. The flooding problem. Maybe make a 3 rotor model? Removal of the console that goes ALL the way back.

My RX 8 is still thrilling to drive
By GWC

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is a great car and it continues to be a kick to drive. Originally there were some problems with the starter and the battery but once these were replaced and the computer adjusted the car is very reliable.

The whole package.

Better gas mileage. Better instructions on putting the car into reverse, the lever must be depressed. The trunk release on the key is in such a position that when the key is twisted into the off position the button is often pushed by me inadvertantly opening the trunk and running down the battery.