2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Head Turner
By Double Wankel

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Great looking car in Velocity Red Mica. Good lines, and the suicide doors prompt plenty of interest. Adults fit in the back comfortably if the front-seaters scoot up a bit. Plenty of head room. The rotary lacks impressive stoplight torque, but the ponies wind up quickly. It's a great passer - drop to 3rd, floor it, and you're blowing their doors off just before you slip back out of the oncoming traffic. The gas mileage is poor for a smaller car - I'm getting about 21 mpg when driving smoothly on the back roads at about 65 mph. I shudder to think how bad it would be if I frequently drove aggressively. Premium vs regular makes no difference.

Favorite Features

The double Wankel, suicide doors, surprising back seat room, Velocity Red Mica.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage, better low-end torque.

DO NOT BUY!
By POSRX8

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

i bought the car 10 months ago. It has been in the shop for over 60 days total so far. It gets horrible gas mileage; I have never got better than 15 miles to the gallon. It burns through oil like crazy. mMy car has had 3 engines in 10 months! Mazda has replaced and paid for everything because there is a bigger problem with their engines that they don't want to get out, I'm smelling major RECALL! Not reliable at all, uncomfortable seats, very slow off the line. Do not buy this car, because if you have the same problems and try to pursue the lemon law like i am, Mazda will just ignore you and not return your phone calls, so do not buy this car!

Favorite Features

Nothing.

Suggested Improvements

Engine, gas mileage, oil consumption, front seats, lower rpm power.

Not made for long distance driving.
By Ty

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

It is a nice looking car. Not as comfortable as I would like but hey, it's a sport car not a family sedan. The bucket seats are not comfortable for long distance trips. It's kind of slow off the line but once it hits about 3500 rpm, this thing can go. Like many other people, I would like a bit more torque in this puppy. It is nice on the freeway, only if you're not living in LA. I am just wondering what is the top speed on an automatic? If you are looking for a fun car to drive and want to be different then everyone else, this may be the car for you.

Favorite Features

The controls on the steering wheel is very nice to have. I also love the sport package, it comes with 18 inch rims which give the car a nice look.

Suggested Improvements

Please increase the torque and the horsepower for the automatic. Everything else is fine.

RX8 6-speed can't handle the power
By alamoman

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

We have had an 05 RX8 with the 6-speed for 18 months. The rotary engine is much improved over the old one. My wife loves to drive it and we both like the styling. I enjoy hearing a motor rev about 7,000 rpms. We have had to replace the transmission, starter, and spark plugs. Too high maintenance for me.

Favorite Features

It's fun to drive with the 6 speed. Great styling and the suicide doors are a great idea for a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission is too weak for the power. The trunk is small so the rear seats should fold down. To add an XM radio is $500. Make the stereo upgradeable.

awesome
By na

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

This car is amazing. Fun to drive as long as you got the gas money.

Favorite Features

Smooth acceleration, beautiful interior and exterior, great handling and it's a rotary.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, more hp and torque but the car is still new.

The joy of balance
By Liam

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

The true personality of this car can only be revealed when in manumatic mode on a twisting road using the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Let the free wheeling engine wind up to 9000 RPM before changing gears and you begin to appreciate the true advantages of a rotary engine. Bought this car with 5000 miles on it - nicely loaded and comfortable to ride in. The 50/50 weight balance is a pure joy, no sudden spin outs - very predictable handling with solid braking and good feedback through the steering wheel. A very nicely put together package or design, utility, performance and fun.

Favorite Features

Cornering, paddle shifters, free revving engine, styling, rear access doors for the kids.

Suggested Improvements

Memory seats, improved center console, reversing sensors.

Dangerous to test drive.
By zenmouse

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought my 2005 RX-8 about a week ago, switching from my Audi A4. I never intended to buy the car, but my girlfriend was buying a Mazda 3, and I figured I'd give the 8 a spin while I was at the dealership. Hands-down, it's the most fun car I've ever driven. It's light and agile, rockets you faster to 60 than an s2000, and has incredibly good looks. The rotary engine has a beautiful powerband (and sound), and the 9,000 rpm redline is unbelievable! The four-door functionality is definitely a deal-clincher, as it makes this beast actually practical. My only gripe is the mpg which seems like it should be higher for the size of the engine. But if mpg is what I wanted, I'd have bought a Civic.

Favorite Features

Handling, suicide doors, acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Forced induction, improved gas mileage, iPod connectivity.

Experiment in Beauty
By Stenn

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

As much as I love my 6-speed Shinka, I'd have to admit it's more an academic exercise in engineering and beauty, a "proof-of-concept" of the rotary engine, than a practical 21st century car. In this age of drying-up oil supplies and soaring fuel-cost, the gas-mileage on this work of art will "kill" you. I'm getting 14MPG no matter how careful I am, while my old, heavy, automatic '95 Nissan Pathfinder regularly gets 17MPG, go figure! Just driving normally ends up with 14mpg. I've only seen one owner-review that says he accomplishes the advertised 24/18, and I'd REALLY like to know how!

Favorite Features

What else is there ... the styling and power, of course! That's what this car is ALL about. Regardless of the fuel economy, I can't take my eyes off the car, I still find it breathtaking, a work of beauty and art, even as I watch the gas-gauge visibly drop. I actually feel guilty driving the car.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously, GAS MILEAGE! And rear-visibility, especially at the 4 o'clock position, is significantly restricted and takes some getting used to. I would also suggest bigger side-view mirrors, they are a bit too small.

Great Car
By Fun to Drive by Bob

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is so much fun to drive. We did a test drive 6 months before we bought and fell in love with the car. It handles like a dream and is too fast for local streets. The car takes every corner with no problems and puts you back in the seat with each gear. I love it. Gas mileage is what is expected from a sports car. Did I tell you it goes really really fast. WOW!

Favorite Features

We got the Snow White Pearl finish. It looks so sharp.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing. I got the car fully loaded and it has everything I have ever wanted in a sports car. It is my dream car.

Love My Rx8
By tecatemn

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have owned this car now for over six months. I have had only a couple of issues with it such as the center console, replaced once, seems very fragile. Also had a clip replace on the front spoiler. The car drives great very responsive with excellent steering. Not a powerhouse but by no means a weakling.

Favorite Features

Handling, steering & cornering, looks.

Suggested Improvements

More torque, better gas mileage, & oil consumption.