2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Mazda in Waco, TX
By Greta Texas on 11/15/06 00:43 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I just bought my dream car. Never thought I'd own a sports car and now I do. The RX-8 is sporty yet is also has a backseat, four doors, and a trunk to hold groceries. I love it!

RX-8
By Michie on 11/08/06 09:12 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love my RX-8. I think it has a great sleek design that really turns heads and the back doors were a great idea for those who want a sports car, but still have the comfort of a four door sedan. The car handles great & really grips the road, however it is very important to warm the vehicle up before driving in the cold weather otherwise you could possibly flood the engine. Also, you really need to keep an eye on the oil level because with the rotary it burns very hot. Other than that, the car is a ton of fun and really a head turner!

Head Turner
By rklan on 10/18/06 13:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have never had a vehicle which gets so much attention. It dares to be different. It strikes up conversations with people who normally care less about cars. The engine runs incredibly smooth, I would rather listen to it than the radio! Incredibly quick and nimble, a great year round driver (even in Wisconsin winters). Plenty of room for back seat passengers, the trunk carries much more than you would expect.

Don't she purr?
By Jwoods on 08/29/06 16:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have had 2 Mustang GTs, a Corvette, a RX-7 and presently have a Chrysler Crossfire (new) and a Mercedes C230 and this is my favorite so far. The comfortable ride doesn't beat you up, responsive engine, smooth shifting transmission, the Bose stereo and I could go on. But Al Pacino summed it up best in Scent of a Woman when he said " Don't she purr, though" while driving the Ferrari.

Nice Car Fun to Drive
By cindy on 08/27/06 20:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have had mine for over a year, still love it. Of course it's bad in the snow but it's rear wheel drive so I expected that.

Mazda no go!
By leo on 07/10/06 10:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Since I have had this car for the last four months the dealer has had it one month out of the first 3 months. There is very little acceleration and it has been taken to the dealer. After Mazda had it for a week they called and said take it home, go through two full tanks of premium gas (that's all I use anyway ) and then if it still has no acceleration we will look further into it (in other words they do not quickly stand behind their car).

Zoom Zoom
By Brad on 07/06/06 07:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Great for daily driver or long distance trips. Excellent seats, plenty of storage space, even the trunk has more room than you think. Went on a week long vacation and had plenty of room for luggage and items purchased using the trunk and rear seats. Looked at the 350Z but found that you get a lot more options with the RX8 for the money. Loaded with safety equipment and drives like a go cart. Not the fastest or most powerful car out there but can you really use all that power and speed in the real world and still obey the laws? This car is not for everyone. Rotary engine takes a little more attention than a piston engine. Heard all of the downsides of the rotary but have not had any problems.

hard on old bodies
By trolkeeper on 06/22/06 12:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

It is a little too low to the ground for this old body. I would not buy it again only for this reason. Otherwise it is a great car. Beautiful to look at and every one comments on it.

New Toy
By jwoods on 06/20/06 19:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have owned 2 previous rotary engine cars in the past, plus 2 Mustang GTs and 1 Corvette. This car has been great so far. Very fun to drive. Shifts easier than the 2004 Chrysler Crossfire we own. Very rare on the road (unlike Mustangs). Ample power and torque spread across a wide powerband. Gas mileage is mediocre.

Great car with issues, bad company.
By Babcock on 05/18/06 09:29 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The car is very fun to drive, its handling dynamics are excellent. Interior is well done with everything nicely laid out. Good storage for a small car. Back seat room is good, adults seat comfortably. Truck space is good for a sports car but small opening. Over all this is a very livable sports car. Now the bad, gas mileage is the worst I have ever experienced in any car. I get 11mpg city while driving normally. I have had the car to Mazda who tells me that it is normal mileage and they will do nothing about it. Mazda’s service is very poor and the company does not likes to support this car. Mazda has given others a hard time on warranty work or refused to acknowledge problems.