Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Great 3rd Car
By MI-Mazda

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I loved this car for the first six months. The handling is phenomenal. Convinced my wife that it was practical for our family b/c it was a 4 door. However, this car is undriveable in winter, and thus, remains parked for nearly 4 months of the year here in Michigan. If I could, I would keep it as a third car to drive for fun. It just isn't practical for me as a daily driver.

Cockpit feel to the interior. I actually got my pilot's certificate after getting this vehicle b/c it got me thinking how much faster I could go & I quit getting sweaty palms no matter how fast I took it into corners.

The dipstick location is idiotic considering how frequently you are supposed to check the level.

Rotary car doesn't fade
By Andy

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

There is a tendency to do errands in zig-zag back and forth across town style. It is very difficult to go home after completing the errands. It is difficult to do the actual errand, because you don't want to get out of the car to go in anywhere. I plan out huge, inefficient road trips on computer trip software. I'm fond of poking along routes that skulk through the corridors between the major interstates. 18 hours at a pop sometimes. Always sticking to posted speeds because I'm in "local territory", unshielded by the usual pack of rabbit-chasers and "what I can get away with" cruisers. Bottom line? There's no end in sight with driving this car at this point.

Car's balance, longer lasting tires (from 200 less pounds), visibility in all directions, variations in gearbox spacing which correspond to wind resistance. No auto headlights. no seat belt beeper.

None. More rpm maybe. If that could be done, the same torque up to 9000 rpm, and then an "extra torque range" from 9000 to some stratospheric number that would be fine with me. Consistent to what's there, only more. It would involve a supercharger I think. A spinning sound above 10,000 RPM.

2005 Grand Touring Automatic
By kifs

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I sort of inherited this car with 2800 miles on it from a former Ford exec and I have the automatic with paddle shifters. The car is a hoot to drive fast and the only trouble I have had was a trim issue in the interior and the spring in the filler door. My car runs great, gets 16-18 mpg in town and 20 mpg on the road, with about 1000 mi per quart of oil. It's tight as a drum but only has 16000 miles since this is my second car and I only drive it from Apr-Nov. My dealer experience was underwhelming on the engine recall - what a bunch of clods - but so far just maintenance and cleaning. I keep waiting for the problems, but I really like the car.

Overall appearance, front seat comfort, sound system.

Cup holder, interior storage, dipstick and oil filter location, exhaust heat permeating the console and trunk floor, provide hook for gas cap dangle, ditch the monster key fob and make car compatible to remote start system(s), add compass without nav.

Still a treat to drive after 3 years!
By dna

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I don't know of a better handling sports car for less than 5 times the price. The ride is firm, but comfortable. I am blown away with how comfortable a long distance cruiser the RX-8 is. I get 20 mpg combined city/hwy with spirited, but legal, driving. The rotary engine responds well to some pampering. I use 4 oz synthetic 2-cycle oil and 4 oz Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube in every 10 gallons of gas. That's probably why my mileage is better than most. Even a mechanic at the dealer commented that it was the smoothest running RX- 8 he had ever heard. The off-the-line grunt is weak, but once you get the revs up to 5000 rpm it is a winner. Drive the rotary right (high rpm) and you will be thrilled!

Handling, ride, styling inside and out)

Better OEM tires -- the car rides 100% better with Avon M550 A/S; taller 6th gear for better hwy cruising mpg.

Great value, great fun
By Bob

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought this car used 15 months ago. For the money, it's hard to imagine a car that offers the combination of spirited driving, mechanical quality, and inspired style. I also see no more than two RX-8s per month driving in the Chicago area. It's sweet to drive a rarely-seen car among all the bland brands. The car has a cool factor that usually comes with cars twice the sticker price. The only negatives? The paint chips easily and the gas mileage stinks. I knew that going in, though.

Styling, value, high rev rotary, the smile on my face every time I approach.

A little better gas mileage.

• SUV