Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

2005 Grand Touring Automatic
By kifs

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I sort of inherited this car with 2800 miles on it from a former Ford exec and I have the automatic with paddle shifters. The car is a hoot to drive fast and the only trouble I have had was a trim issue in the interior and the spring in the filler door. My car runs great, gets 16-18 mpg in town and 20 mpg on the road, with about 1000 mi per quart of oil. It's tight as a drum but only has 16000 miles since this is my second car and I only drive it from Apr-Nov. My dealer experience was underwhelming on the engine recall - what a bunch of clods - but so far just maintenance and cleaning. I keep waiting for the problems, but I really like the car.

Favorite Features

Overall appearance, front seat comfort, sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder, interior storage, dipstick and oil filter location, exhaust heat permeating the console and trunk floor, provide hook for gas cap dangle, ditch the monster key fob and make car compatible to remote start system(s), add compass without nav.

Still a treat to drive after 3 years!
By dna

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I don't know of a better handling sports car for less than 5 times the price. The ride is firm, but comfortable. I am blown away with how comfortable a long distance cruiser the RX-8 is. I get 20 mpg combined city/hwy with spirited, but legal, driving. The rotary engine responds well to some pampering. I use 4 oz synthetic 2-cycle oil and 4 oz Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube in every 10 gallons of gas. That's probably why my mileage is better than most. Even a mechanic at the dealer commented that it was the smoothest running RX- 8 he had ever heard. The off-the-line grunt is weak, but once you get the revs up to 5000 rpm it is a winner. Drive the rotary right (high rpm) and you will be thrilled!

Favorite Features

Handling, ride, styling inside and out)

Suggested Improvements

Better OEM tires -- the car rides 100% better with Avon M550 A/S; taller 6th gear for better hwy cruising mpg.

Great value, great fun
By Bob

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought this car used 15 months ago. For the money, it's hard to imagine a car that offers the combination of spirited driving, mechanical quality, and inspired style. I also see no more than two RX-8s per month driving in the Chicago area. It's sweet to drive a rarely-seen car among all the bland brands. The car has a cool factor that usually comes with cars twice the sticker price. The only negatives? The paint chips easily and the gas mileage stinks. I knew that going in, though.

Favorite Features

Styling, value, high rev rotary, the smile on my face every time I approach.

Suggested Improvements

A little better gas mileage.

Exciting Machine
By Chris

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought my car as a left over model so it was still brand new but with a nice discount. That and the style were initially my main reasons for purchasing the car. I would say I'm glad the pieces came together the way they did. I have owned 20 cars and 1 motorcycle and I'm only 30, and this vehicle is one of the most fun I have driven. One downfall was it didn't start out as fast as I would have liked but with a few minor upgrades the motor woke up a lot and it is now as fast as a 2008 Mustang GT 5 speed but handles 10 times better. Tests have been done with a stock RX-8 vs a 350z which is a faster car, the RX-8 matched the 350z's track time because the handling was superb to the quicker car.

Favorite Features

The high revving motor and 6 speed transmission, rear wheel drive, sexy style that woman love, very tight responsive steering, and of course the comfortable ride while still having excellent handling.

Suggested Improvements

A turbo of course, even if just with a mild 5 psi of boost.

Can you trash it?
By Street Breed Rx8

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I drive my 05 GT every day and take it to the strip every weekend. It's a great automobile for the person that likes to go a little faster with a little more style. Amazing grip on the black top. Aggressive look, can't go wrong with a 9,000 rpm redline. When you first start the RX-8 the motor makes the best sound in the world. I thrash my RX-8 every day of the week. The Greddy turbo is a great turbo to add to the RX-8 upwards of 70hp gain. and it makes you forget about the absence of torque. Top end never fails. Had it stock up to 143 mph. No problems with maintenence so far. However be careful where your feet are. a couple wrong moves and the RX-8 will flood in a heart beat. Best car ever.

Favorite Features

9,000 RPM redline. Phenomenal top end from a 1.3 liter. Amazing sound from only a rotary motor. Aggressive look. Rear wheel drive. DSC traction and stability control. Suicide rear doors.

Suggested Improvements

More torque. The flooding problem. Maybe make a 3 rotor model? Removal of the console that goes ALL the way back.