Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Very Pleased
By ditto13041

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Just bought used 2005 with 26K miles. Had to immediately replace tires with snow tires (no problem ....am driving it in winter in midwest...$1000 for tires but should last 4-6 winter seaons). Alternator went out but warranty still good! (0 cost to me). Fuel economy is about 19 MPH combined Hwy, City. Rear quater view is restricted but acceptable. This car rocks! Fun to drive...you have the option of automatic, or you can still manually shift it (no clutch!) which I like to do about half the time. Roomy and comfortable interior (I'm 6'2" and still plenty of room). Mirror has garage door opener built in. Overall I really like this car...sports car with a backseat!

Can auto or manually shift. Performance (except for acceleration) exceptional

More low end torque for acceleration

An Amazing Compromise
By GTRacer

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

After 15+ years in front-wheel drive slushbox-equipped cars, I told my wife my next car would be RWD with manual transmission. She said fine, as long as it had four seats so I could continue to take the kids to school. I knew going in that the car was light on torque and thirsty for fuel. I didn't really mind because I was looking for a driver's car, not an econobox or quarter-mile dueler. The car is amazing to drive and I have yet to find its limits. I replaced the tires with BFG gForce KDWs so, with the amazing suspension I suspect the limits are high indeed. Launched properly it can go well enough but it really likes to turn and stop too. Comfort and accommodations are good too.

Handling, driver's seat comfort. Wonderful note when revved hard at WOT. Spooky brakes and suspension that defy all expectations. Appearance. Ability to move four people. The smile I get from Zoom-Zoom

HP is fine but more torque please - with three passengers launches are noticeably boggier. The A/C button should be the sole control of the compressor! Button off, comp off! Fix taillight seals. Faster warmups would be nice (Car is in FL but still takes 5+ minutes to reach normal temp).

Great 3rd Car
By MI-Mazda

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I loved this car for the first six months. The handling is phenomenal. Convinced my wife that it was practical for our family b/c it was a 4 door. However, this car is undriveable in winter, and thus, remains parked for nearly 4 months of the year here in Michigan. If I could, I would keep it as a third car to drive for fun. It just isn't practical for me as a daily driver.

Cockpit feel to the interior. I actually got my pilot's certificate after getting this vehicle b/c it got me thinking how much faster I could go & I quit getting sweaty palms no matter how fast I took it into corners.

The dipstick location is idiotic considering how frequently you are supposed to check the level.

Rotary car doesn't fade
By Andy

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

There is a tendency to do errands in zig-zag back and forth across town style. It is very difficult to go home after completing the errands. It is difficult to do the actual errand, because you don't want to get out of the car to go in anywhere. I plan out huge, inefficient road trips on computer trip software. I'm fond of poking along routes that skulk through the corridors between the major interstates. 18 hours at a pop sometimes. Always sticking to posted speeds because I'm in "local territory", unshielded by the usual pack of rabbit-chasers and "what I can get away with" cruisers. Bottom line? There's no end in sight with driving this car at this point.

Car's balance, longer lasting tires (from 200 less pounds), visibility in all directions, variations in gearbox spacing which correspond to wind resistance. No auto headlights. no seat belt beeper.

None. More rpm maybe. If that could be done, the same torque up to 9000 rpm, and then an "extra torque range" from 9000 to some stratospheric number that would be fine with me. Consistent to what's there, only more. It would involve a supercharger I think. A spinning sound above 10,000 RPM.

2005 Grand Touring Automatic
By kifs

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I sort of inherited this car with 2800 miles on it from a former Ford exec and I have the automatic with paddle shifters. The car is a hoot to drive fast and the only trouble I have had was a trim issue in the interior and the spring in the filler door. My car runs great, gets 16-18 mpg in town and 20 mpg on the road, with about 1000 mi per quart of oil. It's tight as a drum but only has 16000 miles since this is my second car and I only drive it from Apr-Nov. My dealer experience was underwhelming on the engine recall - what a bunch of clods - but so far just maintenance and cleaning. I keep waiting for the problems, but I really like the car.

Overall appearance, front seat comfort, sound system.

Cup holder, interior storage, dipstick and oil filter location, exhaust heat permeating the console and trunk floor, provide hook for gas cap dangle, ditch the monster key fob and make car compatible to remote start system(s), add compass without nav.