Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Dream come true!
By Drek4

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Just purchased this awesome machine a little over a month ago. This car is real fun to drive and really stands out by it`s looks and rotary motor. Only thing I don`t really like about it is its fuel consumption but other than that it`s a sheer pleasure to drive. I read a lot of people need to add oil, but have done 2500 mi without needing to add a drop. The best place for it is on the highway, mind you curving roads are fine if you don`t mind the bumps. Suspension a little firm on this car. The Bose sound system is just fine and has a great surround effect and the front seats are very comfortable for 2 hour + rides.

Great looks, good performance and stands out!

Fuel consumption!

so sexy!!
By wy

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I just bought my car with barely 30000 miles and I love it!! I have always owned sports like cars but this one, hands down, takes the cake!! I was sketchy about buying a mazda because the last mazda i owned (a mx3) gave me alot of problems :( true this car may not be good for grocery shopping etc, but if you let her warm up and rev the engine before you kill it (not that hard rt??) she is a sexy lil thing to drive and I love her!!

Everything!! need i say more??

no improvements but maybe a more elongated rear end. might look more sleek, and tougher! plus that would probably allow more trunk space (which there"s barely any)

Need To Know!
By RotorHead613

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Rx-8's are good/great cars but few people know how to take care of them. They are amazing for handling and they are engineering marvels when it comes to the motor. The problem is most people who buy them, do it for the looks not the motor. Rotary is an amazing thing. YOU CANNOT BABY IT! When you buy a car do some research. Understand what your driving and what you need to do. rotary has a different oiling system and it requires the motor to be run at high rpm to keep it well oiled. I own a R1 93 RX-7 and My Rx-8 i know how to take care of them and if u listen to these words you wont have an issue. Check the oil every 750-1000 miles to make sure its full.

ROTARY! them motor is grate if you know how to take care of it. Like i said check the oil every 50-1000 miles to make sure its full. Rev the motor past 6.5-7k rpm at least once to twice per day to get the oil into all the seals in the motor. i haven't needed service since the day i bought it.

Drop some weight there are a lot of unnecessary things in the car that make it heavier. gas mileage could be a little higher but that could be solved with thought 1. More options for RIMS. the factory gray and chrome dont match any of the paint colors offered. Get black ones they make it look perf!

Another love-hate relationship
By Liz

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

While I love the look and feel of my car I have had many difficulties with it. Mazda acknowledges the engine problems that the 2004/2005 RX 8's have and thus have extended the drive train warranty. However, my car has been in the shop more times that I can count. The check engine light is constantly on, even after my engine was replaced! Started with the typical stalling you see in these cars, and went downhill from there. Most recently my oil cooler line completely rusted out, which the mechanic states he has seen in multiple RX 8s. It's a fun car, but as the dealership has told me AFTER pushing me to purchase the car...it should be used as a sports car, not your every day car.

Comfort and the way it handles are great! Love the design and the suicide doors.

MPG, engine issues, tends to lose a lot of power when A/C is on. Not good in snow weather, snow tires and some weight in the trunk are a big help.

MY RX8 OF 3 YRS
By Lethal

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have had my 8 for 3 years now got it when I graduated from high school as a first car it ran great never any problems and really fun to drive. 2 years in my cat converter got plugged which gave it no power this was fixed by the dealer no problem free at cost have to change the oil at least every 2-3 months they key is taking care of the car don't be cheap n turn the engine off ull flood it or worse there are no problems if it is taken care of i have also done my car up n boy its been great!2 10" Alpine Subs V12 Alpine Amp Greddy SE exhaust custom led lights K&N Intake

Handling High Rev's Rotary Engine Sound Driveability

Water in rear tail lights AC control/heater Gas mileage..could be better torque...we all love it!