Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

MY RX8 OF 3 YRS
By Lethal

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have had my 8 for 3 years now got it when I graduated from high school as a first car it ran great never any problems and really fun to drive. 2 years in my cat converter got plugged which gave it no power this was fixed by the dealer no problem free at cost have to change the oil at least every 2-3 months they key is taking care of the car don't be cheap n turn the engine off ull flood it or worse there are no problems if it is taken care of i have also done my car up n boy its been great!2 10" Alpine Subs V12 Alpine Amp Greddy SE exhaust custom led lights K&N Intake

Favorite Features

Handling High Rev's Rotary Engine Sound Driveability

Suggested Improvements

Water in rear tail lights AC control/heater Gas mileage..could be better torque...we all love it!

In it for the looks
By Florida

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I wanted to own a great looking sports car at least once before I was too old and would look silly in one. I had been a committed Accord owner for 20 years (cannot say enough about their great reliability.) But I love the way the RX 8 looks and I get compliments on it. It is fun to drive, but that blast off that I got on acceleration, which really sold me on this car, was lost after taking it to the dealer in response to some recall notice a couple years ago. They adjusted something and it was never the same. Anytime I go to the dealer for odd noises, the only thing they do is say it's my fault because I used regular grade gas. Car was recently idling with loud vibration. Coils! only 28K mi

Favorite Features

Appearance. Can drive as automatic or manual shift. It's the sportiest looking car with a back seat for the money. Cool doors. Seat warmers! (It was 37 deg in FL last week.) Decent trunk space, but design of opening is small and prevents many things from going in even tho there is space inside.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a coat hook! Only a 25 cent item and I've missed having it since day one. People who drive sports cars still need to hang up dry cleaning. Gas mileage poor. Paint chips VERY easily. Don't ever just back car out of garage and turn off engine. Manual warns it will not restart. They mean it!

Worse car I ever owned
By Ron

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

Car looks great, however its 4 years old and I have replaced: engine, transmission, extensive work on front end, towed 3 times for no start, headlight assembly (twice), rear taillight assembly, motor mounts (twice), oil leak around oil pump, and paint peeling. Now its back in the shop for no start, and AC problems, also oil leaking again. Most problems happened before 40,000 miles. Most unreliable car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Looks

Suggested Improvements

Everything.

Don't bother wasting your money!
By DontbuyRX8

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is horrible, it has spent more time in the shop than on the road. I have had four recalls, over heating problem, flooding, starter, risk of it catching fire! and have had it towed four times to the dealership. It doesn't like hot weather, or cold weather, it is the most unreliable car ever!! I bought it brand new off the show room floor, and I HATE it! Save yourself a lot of headache and go buy a G37 or G37. This morning, went to start it to go to work, it wont start, so guess what, towed again to the dealership. This car stinks! it only has 50 kilometers on it.

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

Stop building this Lemon, and refund money to everyone that purchased this car!

Great car, poor mileage
By surfdude

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is fantastic! The most fun car to drive I've ever driven. It can hit up to 8000 RPM without any trouble, in fact, its healthy for the car to do this, as it cleans out the engine. Incredible handling: you can literally go around a 90 degree turn at 40 mph without any trouble! While the car doesn't have the acceleration of a corvette or a 350z (5.9 from 0-60), its handling is better than a 350z and rivals that of a corvette. Reason is a 50/50 rear-to-front weighting of the car. There is no 500lb engine under the hood, as the rotary engine isn't a typical heavy engine. Thus, there is no front heavy, back sliding that occurs in a typical car in turns.

Favorite Features

Handling, handling, handling!!! Did I say handling!?!?! Like I said, equal to a porsche or corvette! no lie!

Suggested Improvements

Mileage: the one downside of this car. The mileage is horrible. I've heard people say "this is a sports car, what'd you expect". Problem with this argument is that the 350z is also a sports car, with better acceleration, and better mileage (and a heavier car)! The poor mileage has just no excuse.