2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews 4

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Still a treat to drive after 3 years!
By dna on 08/06/08 22:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I don't know of a better handling sports car for less than 5 times the price. The ride is firm, but comfortable. I am blown away with how comfortable a long distance cruiser the RX-8 is. I get 20 mpg combined city/hwy with spirited, but legal, driving. The rotary engine responds well to some pampering. I use 4 oz synthetic 2-cycle oil and 4 oz Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube in every 10 gallons of gas. That's probably why my mileage is better than most. Even a mechanic at the dealer commented that it was the smoothest running RX- 8 he had ever heard. The off-the-line grunt is weak, but once you get the revs up to 5000 rpm it is a winner. Drive the rotary right (high rpm) and you will be thrilled!

Great value, great fun
By Bob on 08/01/08 15:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought this car used 15 months ago. For the money, it's hard to imagine a car that offers the combination of spirited driving, mechanical quality, and inspired style. I also see no more than two RX-8s per month driving in the Chicago area. It's sweet to drive a rarely-seen car among all the bland brands. The car has a cool factor that usually comes with cars twice the sticker price. The only negatives? The paint chips easily and the gas mileage stinks. I knew that going in, though.

Exciting Machine
By Chris on 07/18/08 00:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought my car as a left over model so it was still brand new but with a nice discount. That and the style were initially my main reasons for purchasing the car. I would say I'm glad the pieces came together the way they did. I have owned 20 cars and 1 motorcycle and I'm only 30, and this vehicle is one of the most fun I have driven. One downfall was it didn't start out as fast as I would have liked but with a few minor upgrades the motor woke up a lot and it is now as fast as a 2008 Mustang GT 5 speed but handles 10 times better. Tests have been done with a stock RX-8 vs a 350z which is a faster car, the RX-8 matched the 350z's track time because the handling was superb to the quicker car.

Can you trash it?
By Street Breed Rx8 on 05/25/08 03:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I drive my 05 GT every day and take it to the strip every weekend. It's a great automobile for the person that likes to go a little faster with a little more style. Amazing grip on the black top. Aggressive look, can't go wrong with a 9,000 rpm redline. When you first start the RX-8 the motor makes the best sound in the world. I thrash my RX-8 every day of the week. The Greddy turbo is a great turbo to add to the RX-8 upwards of 70hp gain. and it makes you forget about the absence of torque. Top end never fails. Had it stock up to 143 mph. No problems with maintenence so far. However be careful where your feet are. a couple wrong moves and the RX-8 will flood in a heart beat. Best car ever.

My RX 8 is still thrilling to drive
By GWC on 04/25/08 12:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is a great car and it continues to be a kick to drive. Originally there were some problems with the starter and the battery but once these were replaced and the computer adjusted the car is very reliable.

Trouble
By anne on 04/19/08 08:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is a beautiful car and has a very clever design (I think I was won over by the suicide doors). Not exactly comfortable in the back, but it works. However, this car has been in the shop more than my 65 bug was. The first 6 mo of owning this car was so frustrating with frequent recalls and the car would stall easily. Then we had about 12 months of bliss. Now, at the ripe old age of 2.5 yrs, the car has been in the shop 6 times in 5 months. It has left me stranded (and not because the car was not warmed up). The dealers can't find anything "wrong" with it. I plan to get rid of it in the next month or so b/c I just cant have such an unreliable car.

By New Jersey RX-8 on 04/14/08 20:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Very fun to drive except for the horrible gas mileage. Everyone says it's a sports car but for a car that cant turn a sub 14 second quarter mile, 14 mpg is pretty sorry. I will concede it does carve corners as well as probably anything else out there for the price.

20000 mile update
By Stenn on 04/13/08 17:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

When I bought it, I wrote here that it was an exercise in engineering theory and perfection, but not practical due to low fuel efficiency vs. high fuel costs. Well, 20K miles later, I'm still infatuated with it, wouldn't think of driving anything else, and have gotten used to its MPG after an '05 Mustang driver told me he gets the same 15 mpg I do. I'd MUCH rather have this than a Mustang!! I admit that 15 mph is around town and short highway runs, usually doing 100 mph+ to and from work, so of course it's going to suck the gas. But the handling of this thing !! :) And the sound system can't be beat. And it's still the most gorgeous thing on the road if you ask me.

Best Sports Car for the Buck
By krusty on 03/27/08 07:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

By far the funnest car to drive short of shelling out 130k for a Porsche 911 GT3. A very beautiful design. I test drove the Nissan 350Z and knew within 1/4 mile which car I liked better...the RX8. Great handling, stability, and braking. I do have after-market BF Goodrich G-Force, which are incredible and probably a much better tire then stock (first upgrade). Very comfortable on highway. The car is deceiving in how fast it really is. You will be going 100mph and not even notice it and very stable and easy to drive at that speed. Bose Stereo is great. Transmission (manual) is smooth as butter and has very short throw. Your power is at 5000RPM and up, so you have to learn how to drive this car

Rotar-heads first rx-8
By waterproofone on 03/26/08 10:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I've owned 4 rx-7s. Only one of which was a lemon because I purchased from a friend and it was not well taken care of. I love the rotary engines and they have all been great. As long as you make sure the oil is filled with quality oil and the coolant is full all of the time you should be fine. The Rx-8 is less of a car in some manners and more in other areas than the rx-7. I love them both but think the rx-7s had more character to them. They were simpler and not so many sensors and design flaws. I hate the gas mileage and some of the rattles inside but the car so far is good. I have had it in the shop to repair many things/rattles and other things and so far they have not complained.