Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda RX-8

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

my RX-8
By Chad Foster

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Being a proud owner of my RX-8, I made the decision over the winter to store my car for 4 months until the weather improved. Since beginning to drive it again as of March 20th, 2005 (I remember the date because of my brother's birthday), I have had my RX-8 picked up by roadside assistance on 3 different occasions. It is fast becoming the most unreliable vehicle I have ever purchased in my life.

Favorite Features

The exterior body style and the car's ability to really step up it's speed as the rotary engine spins faster.

Suggested Improvements

It's clear that the electrical system for the car is unreliable. I strongly urge prospective buyers to use caution when purchasing a new RX-8. It appears that the electrical system renders the Mazda certified technicians incompetent due to their inability to solve the electrical problems.

Worse car I ever owned
By Ron

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

Car looks great, however its 4 years old and I have replaced: engine, transmission, extensive work on front end, towed 3 times for no start, headlight assembly (twice), rear taillight assembly, motor mounts (twice), oil leak around oil pump, and paint peeling. Now its back in the shop for no start, and AC problems, also oil leaking again. Most problems happened before 40,000 miles. Most unreliable car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Looks

Suggested Improvements

Everything.

DO NOT BUY!
By POSRX8

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

i bought the car 10 months ago. It has been in the shop for over 60 days total so far. It gets horrible gas mileage; I have never got better than 15 miles to the gallon. It burns through oil like crazy. mMy car has had 3 engines in 10 months! Mazda has replaced and paid for everything because there is a bigger problem with their engines that they don't want to get out, I'm smelling major RECALL! Not reliable at all, uncomfortable seats, very slow off the line. Do not buy this car, because if you have the same problems and try to pursue the lemon law like i am, Mazda will just ignore you and not return your phone calls, so do not buy this car!

Favorite Features

Nothing.

Suggested Improvements

Engine, gas mileage, oil consumption, front seats, lower rpm power.

i would not buy one again
By rx8joe

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

when i got my rx8 home, i was looking for the spare tire. lo and behold there is no spare tire.. it is an option. which cost me 477 more. the saleslady forgot to mention that the rx8 uses oil. actually she forgot to mention many things about the rx8. and most importantly she left out the part about these cars are prone to flooding. if you do not let your engine warm up. will i buy one of these again? no... in fact as soon as i can i am getting rid of it.. nothing but problems since i've gotten it..

Favorite Features

i like the suicide doors.. easy access to the back seats.

Read before you buy a 2005 Maxda RX8
By firebabe

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

The rotary engine is horrible, you have to treat it like a diesel in cold weather which we didn't know and got it flooded. It ended up costing us $1500 to finally get it started and to help prevent it from happening again but now I want rid of it. Check engine light is on all the time and no one knows why. It now sounds bad and every one is now telling me after owning it for 6 months with 69,000 that the rotary engine don't live past 60,000. I know I'm going to lose with trading it in put I can't afford to keep it running. Wish I had never seen this beautiful car but the rotary engine is horrible.

Favorite Features

Cute and fun, sporty car

Suggested Improvements

No rotary engine