2005 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
BIGGEST MISTAKE
By Regret on 09/03/09 14:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I had the car in the shop 8 times during the first year. The car would not start and none of the Mazda mechanics at the dealership could tell me why. I had to contact the Mazda corp. in California. They literally told me that the "RX8 is not to be used to drive short distances under 20 miles consecutively. It is meant for roadtrips and long commutes" I told them that they need to put that on their website and that it was a scam. So if you need to take it get groceries or drive to work under 20 miles one way, you are out of luck. HEED MY WARNING!!!!!! DON'T BUY THIS CAR!!!!!!!

It's a love, hate relationship
By Jessica on 06/29/09 13:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I purchased my RX8 used almost 2 years ago. My engine started "fluttering" 4 days after I bought the car. I have only had problems since. If your RX-8 is not idling correctly, you need to have the engine replaced. Finally after 2 years of problems, mine are about to be solved. If you are looking to buy this car, please know that it is not a grocery getter. You have to heat the engine completely up before you can turn it off. Do yourself a HUGE favor and do some research. You would be amazed at what needs to be done for the upkeep of this car. I love mine to the point that I cant trade it in. Make sure you are willing to put in the time and effort to keep it up.

Most vain car ever made
By brandon on 05/27/09 12:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Ok so I bought this car fresh after becoming single and this car was the vainest purchase I have ever made in my life. The car IS sexy, but that is it. It is not cheap, HORRIBLE ON GAS, and EXTREMELY HIGH maintenance!!! You have to check the oil a lot, it has to be run everyday or it won't turn over. Please learn from my mistake and buy a reliable and practical car.

I love my Rx-8
By I love mazda R's on 04/28/09 07:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love this car!!! I have wanted one since they came out (when I was 11) because my grandma had a yellow Rx-7 when I was little, and I missed it. It drives great, though loud, I love that. You have to use the best quality EVERYTHING!!! I cant stress that more. I live in the hills and it is fun to drive on the curves. I just bought it a month ago as my first car...LOL :)

Original Owner for 3 years
By SpookiusMortem on 04/10/09 12:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I purchased this vehicle new 3 years ago this month. This is the only car I have ever owned where after 3 years of ownership, I still have that new car excitement about it. I doubt I will ever part with this car and hope it will become a classic. I live in an urban environment and get a good mix of metropolitan and highway driving. Driving an RX-8 in the city is a blast. Its nimbleness and cornering ability make it capable of getting places fast. My favorite thing about driving this car is being able to fly around a corner, and if you feel is start to slip, goosing the throttle a little and feel it grip through the turn as if it were on rails.

Very Pleased
By ditto13041 on 03/16/09 07:05 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Just bought used 2005 with 26K miles. Had to immediately replace tires with snow tires (no problem ....am driving it in winter in midwest...$1000 for tires but should last 4-6 winter seaons). Alternator went out but warranty still good! (0 cost to me). Fuel economy is about 19 MPH combined Hwy, City. Rear quater view is restricted but acceptable. This car rocks! Fun to drive...you have the option of automatic, or you can still manually shift it (no clutch!) which I like to do about half the time. Roomy and comfortable interior (I'm 6'2" and still plenty of room). Mirror has garage door opener built in. Overall I really like this car...sports car with a backseat!

An Amazing Compromise
By GTRacer on 01/22/09 05:59 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

After 15+ years in front-wheel drive slushbox-equipped cars, I told my wife my next car would be RWD with manual transmission. She said fine, as long as it had four seats so I could continue to take the kids to school. I knew going in that the car was light on torque and thirsty for fuel. I didn't really mind because I was looking for a driver's car, not an econobox or quarter-mile dueler. The car is amazing to drive and I have yet to find its limits. I replaced the tires with BFG gForce KDWs so, with the amazing suspension I suspect the limits are high indeed. Launched properly it can go well enough but it really likes to turn and stop too. Comfort and accommodations are good too.

Great 3rd Car
By MI-Mazda on 11/22/08 18:53 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I loved this car for the first six months. The handling is phenomenal. Convinced my wife that it was practical for our family b/c it was a 4 door. However, this car is undriveable in winter, and thus, remains parked for nearly 4 months of the year here in Michigan. If I could, I would keep it as a third car to drive for fun. It just isn't practical for me as a daily driver.

Rotary car doesn't fade
By Andy on 11/16/08 18:25 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

There is a tendency to do errands in zig-zag back and forth across town style. It is very difficult to go home after completing the errands. It is difficult to do the actual errand, because you don't want to get out of the car to go in anywhere. I plan out huge, inefficient road trips on computer trip software. I'm fond of poking along routes that skulk through the corridors between the major interstates. 18 hours at a pop sometimes. Always sticking to posted speeds because I'm in "local territory", unshielded by the usual pack of rabbit-chasers and "what I can get away with" cruisers. Bottom line? There's no end in sight with driving this car at this point.

2005 Grand Touring Automatic
By kifs on 08/29/08 07:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I sort of inherited this car with 2800 miles on it from a former Ford exec and I have the automatic with paddle shifters. The car is a hoot to drive fast and the only trouble I have had was a trim issue in the interior and the spring in the filler door. My car runs great, gets 16-18 mpg in town and 20 mpg on the road, with about 1000 mi per quart of oil. It's tight as a drum but only has 16000 miles since this is my second car and I only drive it from Apr-Nov. My dealer experience was underwhelming on the engine recall - what a bunch of clods - but so far just maintenance and cleaning. I keep waiting for the problems, but I really like the car.