Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

2nd To NONE
By 2rx8

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

My first RX8 was totaled in an accident (hit by red light run side driver door impact). Fire/EMT said side airbag saved serious head injury if not my life. When seeking replacement car I didn't hesitate to get another RX8. I've not been disappointed in the past 6 years and don't want to part with my RX8. Previously had RX7 and had problems with restart on cold engine, but never with my 2005. The only thing I've had to replace is the battery and tires. Love this car! And I have a Viper so I have real comparative performance. Not that the RX8 is anywhere near a Viper, but when I don't drive the Viper I don't at all mind my RX8.

Appearance (inside and out), performance, acceleration (2nd gear and beyond).

Warranty ran out & 1 thing after another
By FLLawyer

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

Bought the car because of looks and the zoom, zoom, zoom when I accelerated. Then the dealership made a recommended adjustment on one of my visits (due to a grinding/rattle noise on sudden accelerations from day one) and the responsiveness was never the same. Right after the 5 yr warranty ran out, the dealership in St. Pete announced that the vibration I was feeling was the engine mounts being kaput. This was a known problem they got a bulletin on. Never told me. They quoted $700 to fix. We bought Mazda mounts from a dealership on line and Midas installed-total cost $300. Soon thereafter the airbag light went on. It flashes or stays on permanently. So got to take it in again.

Exterior appearance except the paint (white) is weak/thin and pits easily. Like having a back seat.

Better quality paint. Extend warranty on motor mounts since Mazda knows they are defective. Include a hook in the back over the door to hang jacket/dry cleaning. Car should not shift automatically into 4th gear when only going 35-40 MPH especially when dealer says car must be driven at high RPM.

Thanks Wankel!
By kailua_chaos

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is my second RX8 - my first fell victim to a drunk driver - Handles EXTREMELY well, except in water. A little iffy on gas mileage, except I noticed in mid to high RPM range, gets way better mileage. Great car to race from a stop despite most RWD performances. Very crowded engine bay so semi difficult to work on, but a simple design and easy to take care of. Overall this car is a very mutual car, what I mean is, if you treat it good, it will treat you just as good or better. Oil changes and refills can get annoying, but definitely worth the trouble I'd say!

Interior design very accessible everything, LOVE the stock shifter! Clutch is sensitive but not stiff or empty. Love the high RPM power, especially mixed with turbo. Body style is undeniably sexy, and sinfully satisfying.

Increase torque at low ends, with a bigger chamber and rotors but keep them light too. Rear visibility is moderate at best, and PLEASE somebody fix the unreliability in the rain. DO NOT try high speed cornering during even slight wet conditions.

Lot of engine for a little car
By victor

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I've had my RX8 for three years, and I still get comments about it every now and then. It's a unique car, considering the rotary engine. Let me start there: The rotary has a great range, getting up to 8,000 rpm. It really starts to sing once you get above 4k. You can tell Mazda's engineers spent most of their time and money on the engine. Inside, you get most of the typical features for this kind of car. The gauges look really cool, but that's really the only thing inside that was engineered. The backseat is comfortable enough, and surprisingly roomy with the four doors. This car is a blast to drive, but it can be a rough ride, especially with the Bridgestone OEM tires. Somewhat rattly.

Engine, Xenon headlights are great, four door design (only if you look closely!)

I hear a lot of rattles in this car, and they started around 20,000 miles. Part of it is the short wheelbase and summer OEM tires give you a rough ride, but you can hear rattles coming from behind the dash whenever you hit a bump. No big deal if you have the engine revved! :)

Awesome sports car!
By Drek4

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is awesome. The best car that I have ever driven. The sweet spot for this wonderful rotary motor is between 5000-8000 rpm, below that it`s just a civilized sedan. I love this car on the highway, so comfortable and at ease with any speed you drive it. The handling of this car is just fabulous thanks to the 50/50 weight ratio front/rear. Even the looks on this car are too good to be true. I don`t know why everyone says to always check the oil level on this carÂ…I've driven about 2500 miles with it since I got it and still at the same mark on the stick. The front seats are nice and comfortable. The BOSE sound system is nice and has a decent surround effect with it's 9 speakers.

Looks, power, handling & comfortable.

Needs premium gas and has poor mileage.