2005 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Review: 20000 mile update

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe - Consumer Review

20000 mile update
By Stenn on

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

When I bought it, I wrote here that it was an exercise in engineering theory and perfection, but not practical due to low fuel efficiency vs. high fuel costs. Well, 20K miles later, I'm still infatuated with it, wouldn't think of driving anything else, and have gotten used to its MPG after an '05 Mustang driver told me he gets the same 15 mpg I do. I'd MUCH rather have this than a Mustang!! I admit that 15 mph is around town and short highway runs, usually doing 100 mph+ to and from work, so of course it's going to suck the gas. But the handling of this thing !! :) And the sound system can't be beat. And it's still the most gorgeous thing on the road if you ask me.

It's beauty. It's handling. It's comfort (I have a bad back). The sound system. The sound of the rotary!!

The rotary's efficiency is in it's engine size-to-power abilities... a 1.3 liter engine that produces 238HP!, not it's fuel efficiency. If you can accept that, and the cost (it does take money to drive this work of art), then there's nothing to improve.