2005 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Dream come true!
By Drek4 on 04/09/10 13:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Just purchased this awesome machine a little over a month ago. This car is real fun to drive and really stands out by it`s looks and rotary motor. Only thing I don`t really like about it is its fuel consumption but other than that it`s a sheer pleasure to drive. I read a lot of people need to add oil, but have done 2500 mi without needing to add a drop. The best place for it is on the highway, mind you curving roads are fine if you don`t mind the bumps. Suspension a little firm on this car. The Bose sound system is just fine and has a great surround effect and the front seats are very comfortable for 2 hour + rides.

so sexy!!
By wy on 04/07/10 03:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I just bought my car with barely 30000 miles and I love it!! I have always owned sports like cars but this one, hands down, takes the cake!! I was sketchy about buying a mazda because the last mazda i owned (a mx3) gave me alot of problems :( true this car may not be good for grocery shopping etc, but if you let her warm up and rev the engine before you kill it (not that hard rt??) she is a sexy lil thing to drive and I love her!!

Need To Know!
By RotorHead613 on 03/16/10 19:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Rx-8's are good/great cars but few people know how to take care of them. They are amazing for handling and they are engineering marvels when it comes to the motor. The problem is most people who buy them, do it for the looks not the motor. Rotary is an amazing thing. YOU CANNOT BABY IT! When you buy a car do some research. Understand what your driving and what you need to do. rotary has a different oiling system and it requires the motor to be run at high rpm to keep it well oiled. I own a R1 93 RX-7 and My Rx-8 i know how to take care of them and if u listen to these words you wont have an issue. Check the oil every 750-1000 miles to make sure its full.

Another love-hate relationship
By Liz on 02/07/10 16:59 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

While I love the look and feel of my car I have had many difficulties with it. Mazda acknowledges the engine problems that the 2004/2005 RX 8's have and thus have extended the drive train warranty. However, my car has been in the shop more times that I can count. The check engine light is constantly on, even after my engine was replaced! Started with the typical stalling you see in these cars, and went downhill from there. Most recently my oil cooler line completely rusted out, which the mechanic states he has seen in multiple RX 8s. It's a fun car, but as the dealership has told me AFTER pushing me to purchase the car...it should be used as a sports car, not your every day car.

MY RX8 OF 3 YRS
By Lethal on 02/03/10 18:38 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have had my 8 for 3 years now got it when I graduated from high school as a first car it ran great never any problems and really fun to drive. 2 years in my cat converter got plugged which gave it no power this was fixed by the dealer no problem free at cost have to change the oil at least every 2-3 months they key is taking care of the car don't be cheap n turn the engine off ull flood it or worse there are no problems if it is taken care of i have also done my car up n boy its been great!2 10" Alpine Subs V12 Alpine Amp Greddy SE exhaust custom led lights K&N Intake

In it for the looks
By Florida on 01/27/10 14:42 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I wanted to own a great looking sports car at least once before I was too old and would look silly in one. I had been a committed Accord owner for 20 years (cannot say enough about their great reliability.) But I love the way the RX 8 looks and I get compliments on it. It is fun to drive, but that blast off that I got on acceleration, which really sold me on this car, was lost after taking it to the dealer in response to some recall notice a couple years ago. They adjusted something and it was never the same. Anytime I go to the dealer for odd noises, the only thing they do is say it's my fault because I used regular grade gas. Car was recently idling with loud vibration. Coils! only 28K mi

Worse car I ever owned
By Ron on 12/21/09 12:14 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

Car looks great, however its 4 years old and I have replaced: engine, transmission, extensive work on front end, towed 3 times for no start, headlight assembly (twice), rear taillight assembly, motor mounts (twice), oil leak around oil pump, and paint peeling. Now its back in the shop for no start, and AC problems, also oil leaking again. Most problems happened before 40,000 miles. Most unreliable car I have ever owned.

Don't bother wasting your money!
By DontbuyRX8 on 11/17/09 11:16 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is horrible, it has spent more time in the shop than on the road. I have had four recalls, over heating problem, flooding, starter, risk of it catching fire! and have had it towed four times to the dealership. It doesn't like hot weather, or cold weather, it is the most unreliable car ever!! I bought it brand new off the show room floor, and I HATE it! Save yourself a lot of headache and go buy a G37 or G37. This morning, went to start it to go to work, it wont start, so guess what, towed again to the dealership. This car stinks! it only has 50 kilometers on it.

Great car, poor mileage
By surfdude on 09/30/09 08:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is fantastic! The most fun car to drive I've ever driven. It can hit up to 8000 RPM without any trouble, in fact, its healthy for the car to do this, as it cleans out the engine. Incredible handling: you can literally go around a 90 degree turn at 40 mph without any trouble! While the car doesn't have the acceleration of a corvette or a 350z (5.9 from 0-60), its handling is better than a 350z and rivals that of a corvette. Reason is a 50/50 rear-to-front weighting of the car. There is no 500lb engine under the hood, as the rotary engine isn't a typical heavy engine. Thus, there is no front heavy, back sliding that occurs in a typical car in turns.

Crossing my fingers
By Crossing Fingers on 09/19/09 17:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

An answer to my mid-life crisis, I was coerced into buying the lil red sedoupe (sedan,coupe) rather than a used luxury sedan. 47, no wife, no kids: it seemed to make sense, I've owned nothing but SUVs/Mini Vans since the disco era. The first thing i noticed was the ride noise from the standard 17'inch tires. Also, the rear light housing was fogged up/filled with inner perspiration. Both items served as bargaining chips & I managed to walk out with it for a mere $11K. With only 37K miles, I was happy. Getting in/out is a challenge with my 275lb frame, but the car's an excellent incentive to lose weight and I've got nothing but compliments from friends/co-workers. 30 days so far, no problems.