Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Worst mistake of my life
By carma8

Do not buy this car.
If you are thinking of buying this car go to the Rx8 forums, everything that can go wrong with this car will go wrong.
This car has been the financial ruin of me.
When I bought it the KBB price was $17k and thats what I paid.
3 years later I tried to trade it in, and was offered $3k.
Bear in mind that it is in better condition now than when I bought it.
Every year I spend at least $2-3k on repairs.
The only luck I have had is the engine seems to be the only one that works, for now.
Thats right $2-3k/year with a healthy engine. The car is crap.
Other cars are just as fun to drive with much lower cost.
Save yourself and run away.

When its working it is great fun to drive. But then it breaks.

This car is a heap of garbage the only improvement would be to throw it away.

A fun car if you know how to drive it.
By tw_direwolf

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I've had my 2005 RX8 Grand Touring for just over a year.
The worst i've had to do put it in the shop for was because someone (previous owner) bypassed a fuse and shorted a brake light out. Have already been informed of some problems i currently have and know how to fix them. Even with the known problems the car still runs great, gets decent fuel economy ,16-21 mpg, and is extremely fun to drive.
I wouldn't trade it for anything. Do plan on doing an RX7 FD Twin Turbo engine swap to it when i get to around 110k miles and rebuild its stock engine (miata's are fun with rotary engines too.)

6-speed Manual is a wonderful must (grearing could use some tuning). Rotary engines are lots of fun and makes the car fun to drive. With or without Dynamic Stability Control/Traction Control it is still a quick car. I'm babying it while at home but as the saying goes, take care of the car and it will take care of you.

93 Octane is a little pricey but I'm not really complaining. Lighter weight and minor tuning would help improve fuel economy.

P.O.S!!!!!
By turtle21

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I had my car for 4 years and it is the worst car ever! I've had 3 engine replacements and 3 transmission replacements. The car has left me stranded numerous times and the brakes even go out on me. I've also had to replace my coils every 3 months. And once the warranty is up good luck trying to get the thing to run!! It overheats and shuts off when driving long distances. It looks nice but runs like crap I wish I never got this car. And now getting rid of it is even harder due to all the problems it has.

I like the back doors.

The whole car!

Never Again
By scullymo

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This has bee one of my worst car buying experiences. Its hot, and fun to drive and all that, but the air conditioner never works. I have taken it to dealers in 3 states and they all say the same thing, "that's just the way it is, get used to it." I will never drive another Mazda because their customer service everywhere is awful!

Its a chick magnet! What can I say?

Put a real air conditioner in it!

Read before you buy a 2005 Maxda RX8
By firebabe

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

The rotary engine is horrible, you have to treat it like a diesel in cold weather which we didn't know and got it flooded.
It ended up costing us $1500 to finally get it started and to help prevent it from happening again but now I want rid of it.
Check engine light is on all the time and no one knows why.
It now sounds bad and every one is now telling me after owning it for 6 months with 69,000 that the rotary engine don't live past 60,000.
I know I'm going to lose with trading it in put I can't afford to keep it running.
Wish I had never seen this beautiful car but the rotary engine is horrible.

Cute and fun, sporty car

No rotary engine