Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
2005 Grand Touring Automatic
By kifs

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I sort of inherited this car with 2800 miles on it from a former Ford exec and I have the automatic with paddle shifters. The car is a hoot to drive fast and the only trouble I have had was a trim issue in the interior and the spring in the filler door. My car runs great, gets 16-18 mpg in town and 20 mpg on the road, with about 1000 mi per quart of oil. It's tight as a drum but only has 16000 miles since this is my second car and I only drive it from Apr-Nov. My dealer experience was underwhelming on the engine recall - what a bunch of clods - but so far just maintenance and cleaning. I keep waiting for the problems, but I really like the car.

Favorite Features

Overall appearance, front seat comfort, sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder, interior storage, dipstick and oil filter location, exhaust heat permeating the console and trunk floor, provide hook for gas cap dangle, ditch the monster key fob and make car compatible to remote start system(s), add compass without nav.

Another love-hate relationship
By Liz

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

While I love the look and feel of my car I have had many difficulties with it. Mazda acknowledges the engine problems that the 2004/2005 RX 8's have and thus have extended the drive train warranty. However, my car has been in the shop more times that I can count. The check engine light is constantly on, even after my engine was replaced! Started with the typical stalling you see in these cars, and went downhill from there. Most recently my oil cooler line completely rusted out, which the mechanic states he has seen in multiple RX 8s. It's a fun car, but as the dealership has told me AFTER pushing me to purchase the car...it should be used as a sports car, not your every day car.

Favorite Features

Comfort and the way it handles are great! Love the design and the suicide doors.

Suggested Improvements

MPG, engine issues, tends to lose a lot of power when A/C is on. Not good in snow weather, snow tires and some weight in the trunk are a big help.

2nd To NONE
By 2rx8

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

My first RX8 was totaled in an accident (hit by red light run side driver door impact). Fire/EMT said side airbag saved serious head injury if not my life. When seeking replacement car I didn't hesitate to get another RX8. I've not been disappointed in the past 6 years and don't want to part with my RX8. Previously had RX7 and had problems with restart on cold engine, but never with my 2005. The only thing I've had to replace is the battery and tires. Love this car! And I have a Viper so I have real comparative performance. Not that the RX8 is anywhere near a Viper, but when I don't drive the Viper I don't at all mind my RX8.

Favorite Features

Appearance (inside and out), performance, acceleration (2nd gear and beyond).

Mazda in Waco, TX
By Greta Texas

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I just bought my dream car. Never thought I'd own a sports car and now I do. The RX-8 is sporty yet is also has a backseat, four doors, and a trunk to hold groceries. I love it!

Favorite Features

I love the body style of the RX-8. It has beautiful curves.

Suggested Improvements

None at this time.

Still crazy after all these years
By rockschwag

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Can't believe the reviews I read about quality; this sports car has easily been the most reliable car I've ever had. After being left on the side of the road by mustangs and Camaros in the past, as a 6'4" guy I couldn't even fit in the new versions. So I tried this Japanese sports car after my AWD GSX blew, and I fit in it like a glove. You won't find many for sale, but that's how you know its good, and you should grab one before they disappear (like the RX-7). I got a fully loaded sport version in winning blue metallic with the spoiler and trim, and there isn't another one like it within 1000 miles. This is a special car.

Favorite Features

Low center of gravity, corners like its on rails, and always turns heads. 6 CD changer reads MP3s as well, heated leather and mirrors, traction control and antilock brakes work great in bad weather, but you'll need blizzaks if you're serious about winter driving. Effortless at high speeds, and I have to use the cruise regularly because this car gets fast before you realize it. Thought it was slightly louder than most sport cars at speed, but a new set of high quality tires really helped get a quieter ride.

Suggested Improvements

Driving a rotary means the thing LOVES to rev, and you have to learn how to get the rpms up to get to the power, but once you get used to this you can book. I've heard many upgrade to a turbo version, but mine is fast enough, and I have too many tickets already. Regular maintenance is the key to an amazing 10 year love affair with this car, but there are other things to be aware of. Storing in the winter requires starting the car weekly or it will flood, the suicide doors can be a pain when someone parks close, and I wish you didn't have to use the dealer to replace light bulbs, especially the fog lights. I wish it was more fuel efficient.