Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Experiment in Beauty
By Stenn

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

As much as I love my 6-speed Shinka, I'd have to admit it's more an academic exercise in engineering and beauty, a "proof-of-concept" of the rotary engine, than a practical 21st century car. In this age of drying-up oil supplies and soaring fuel-cost, the gas-mileage on this work of art will "kill" you. I'm getting 14MPG no matter how careful I am, while my old, heavy, automatic '95 Nissan Pathfinder regularly gets 17MPG, go figure! Just driving normally ends up with 14mpg. I've only seen one owner-review that says he accomplishes the advertised 24/18, and I'd REALLY like to know how!

What else is there ... the styling and power, of course! That's what this car is ALL about. Regardless of the fuel economy, I can't take my eyes off the car, I still find it breathtaking, a work of beauty and art, even as I watch the gas-gauge visibly drop. I actually feel guilty driving the car.

Obviously, GAS MILEAGE! And rear-visibility, especially at the 4 o'clock position, is significantly restricted and takes some getting used to. I would also suggest bigger side-view mirrors, they are a bit too small.

Great Car
By Fun to Drive by Bob

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is so much fun to drive. We did a test drive 6 months before we bought and fell in love with the car. It handles like a dream and is too fast for local streets. The car takes every corner with no problems and puts you back in the seat with each gear. I love it. Gas mileage is what is expected from a sports car. Did I tell you it goes really really fast. WOW!

We got the Snow White Pearl finish. It looks so sharp.

Nothing. I got the car fully loaded and it has everything I have ever wanted in a sports car. It is my dream car.

Love My Rx8
By tecatemn

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have owned this car now for over six months. I have had only a couple of issues with it such as the center console, replaced once, seems very fragile. Also had a clip replace on the front spoiler. The car drives great very responsive with excellent steering. Not a powerhouse but by no means a weakling.

Handling, steering & cornering, looks.

More torque, better gas mileage, & oil consumption.

pretty darn good
By jrod64

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Great nicely fast and handles like a dream. A little idle shake but anything over 1000rpm it's silky smooth.

Everything; I guess I'm a Mazda guy.

Forced induction.

Fun to drive
By Dave

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I absolutely love my RX-8. It is so fun to drive and get those RPMs up. Gas mileage isn't great and it is horrible in the snow, but it is worth it.

The gas pedal.