2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews 16

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Mazda RX8 Bang For the Buck
By Brett Carner on 02/15/05 16:29 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I looked extensively for a daily driver with a sport car mentality. The Mazda RX8 was a hands down choice. The rotary engine is far ahead of the engines still today. It is a little thirsty on fuel economy if you get on it. Handling is excellent, rear view visibility is poor. Appearance and quality is very good, considering the price. If you are looking for a mid range sports car this is the choice. Mazda has an excellent warranty 5/50 and so far service is also above par. It is a fun car to drive.

Fun RX-8 with room for my little girl
By Jenna on 02/09/05 19:04 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I love this car. I wanted a fun car that loves to drive as much as I do and I found it! I have one daughter who has plenty of room in the back with her own storage. She is thrilled about that. It handles beautifully especially once it kicks in. It was a little hard to get used to the feel of the rotary engine. it felt different to me. I love the small rear doors, which lends to easy access without the confines of a four door sedan. The only thing I would change in the center console which extends form the front all the way to the back, making exiting form the back difficult if not impossible if you open the opposite door. Overall- a definite 9.9! :)

Pocket Rocket
By agilefalcon on 02/06/05 01:33 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

First, when you choose this car you should be somebody who is willing to understand the engine and the fact that it is a sports car you are buying. Here is what you need to know: the engine produces a ton of power: power lies between 4,000 and 9,000 RPM; not 1,500 to 4,000 like a Mustang. It has a Renesis Engine (rotary) so it has unique needs. Warm up required, familiarly with the dechoking procedure if you need it and monitoring of the oil level (used to lubricate the rotor vanes). Finally, you must know how to drive and properly use a stick shift. If you can do these things, you will be rewarded with utter joy. I smile everytime I warm mine up. I love it. It's different, It's amazing.

More bang for the buck!
By TD on 02/03/05 22:16 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Easily the best car I've ever driven, and I've had a BMW 330I to compare it to. Excellent power from the rotary engine in any gear, at any speed, tons of torque, tight steering and stop on a dime brakes. This car looks like nothing else on the road, which is great. The Bose stereo is awesome. This car easily gives the most bang for the buck compared to anything else on the street, plus it has a usable back seat that the 350z and BMW don't. Gas mileage isn't great, but who cares? If you want great gas mileage, buy a hybrid. If you want to ENJOY your ride to work, or wherever, THIS is the car to get.

Mazda RX-8 lot of flash, bad on gas
By lugnutz on 01/30/05 10:06 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The Mazda RX-8 is a great sports coupe. In terms of performance the RX-8 competes well with the Porsche Boxster and BMW M4. It has a broad rpm range, true 9000 rpm redline, has a shifting sweet spot around 7500-8000 which is absolute music to the ears. The Zoom Zoom is in the curves. Its .88 Gs in slalom testing by Motor Trend magazine puts the RX-8 in a class with true exotic sports supercars. This is an ideal sports car for the family guy. With seating for four, you can take drop the kids off at soccer, ballet, and lacrosse practice. Its exterior design is flowing and graceful, but definitely exudes its sports car nature. The drivers cockpit very stylish, but all business.

Eye-catching, Great handling
By Mazda RX8 on 01/29/05 14:30 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The car draws positive comments and looks from everyone passing by. Many people ask what car it is, and say how much they like the look of the car. Handles like a dream even in high wind with the limited slip differential. Power to spare, incredible comfort. There is a great sound system, and fantastic safety features. The seats are amazingly comfortable, and a "cockpit" style dash presents all information so it's easy to see. The digital speedometer is excellent for the quick glance - and necessary - it's hard to tell how fast you may be going! Quiet ride. The back seats are a major asset - it's a "family sports car"! Great car - you have to experience it to believe it.

Zoom Zoom with a Few Hidden Facts
By Jerry Miskovsky on 01/29/05 07:52 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The Mazda RX8 is definitely fun to drive and I plan to enjoy it for the next year or two. Buyers should be aware of a few things you don't learn about until you own it. First, the tires are absolutely useless on snow or ice; you'll need to get snow tires. Second, you're cautioned to always let the engine come up to normal operating temperature; even if you just need to go out and move if a few feet. Third, there is no spare tire (unless you want to give up your trunk space). If you can deal with these three shortcomings, get one and enjoy it as I have mine.

Zoom Zoom
By Starke on 01/26/05 00:49 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I absolutely love my RX-8. It's a blast to drive! The effortless acceleration and outstanding handling even make the daily commute exciting. It's not the best for a Nebraska winter, but I'll put up with that for the rest of the thrills.

RX-8 (Not so great)
By JoeBone on 01/23/05 11:58 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I've been driving my RX-8 for about two months now...kinda disappointed. Not nearly as fast as my 350-Z. In fact, not even close. Hardly any torque off the line; you have to be in third gear to get any torque but it is impressive once you get going. Interior is kinda cool and Bose audio is very good. Enough room to take 4 people comfortably, as opposed to the Z which was horrible. Gas mileage is a joke; seems like 2 miles per gallon. I would not buy this car if I had it to do over again.

Rotary Lives
By RotaryRocket on 01/22/05 14:09 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have owned 2 Mazda RX-7 FC3s and One FD3s and I love these rotary rockets. Since I've learned of them I switched over from pistons. Yes, people have their preferences, but i enjoy driving a different engine. I love it to death. Sure it has lower torque than a 350z and eats up a bit more gas but its a risk I take and don't even question 'cause I enjoy the pure driving experience I get from driving it. It's great on twisties and city driving in NYC. I love the car, don't get me wrong I like 350z, G35, 'Vettes and Mustang but the rotary is so nimble and agile. It's styling took me a while to get used to it but its unique and has been compared to Italian cars design by Road and Track.