Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Not made for long distance driving.
By Ty

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

It is a nice looking car. Not as comfortable as I would like but hey, it's a sport car not a family sedan. The bucket seats are not comfortable for long distance trips. It's kind of slow off the line but once it hits about 3500 rpm, this thing can go. Like many other people, I would like a bit more torque in this puppy. It is nice on the freeway, only if you're not living in LA. I am just wondering what is the top speed on an automatic? If you are looking for a fun car to drive and want to be different then everyone else, this may be the car for you.

The controls on the steering wheel is very nice to have. I also love the sport package, it comes with 18 inch rims which give the car a nice look.

Please increase the torque and the horsepower for the automatic. Everything else is fine.

RX8 6-speed can't handle the power
By alamoman

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

We have had an 05 RX8 with the 6-speed for 18 months. The rotary engine is much improved over the old one. My wife loves to drive it and we both like the styling. I enjoy hearing a motor rev about 7,000 rpms. We have had to replace the transmission, starter, and spark plugs. Too high maintenance for me.

It's fun to drive with the 6 speed. Great styling and the suicide doors are a great idea for a sports car.

The transmission is too weak for the power. The trunk is small so the rear seats should fold down. To add an XM radio is $500. Make the stereo upgradeable.

awesome
By na

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

This car is amazing. Fun to drive as long as you got the gas money.

Smooth acceleration, beautiful interior and exterior, great handling and it's a rotary.

Better gas mileage, more hp and torque but the car is still new.

The joy of balance
By Liam

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

The true personality of this car can only be revealed when in manumatic mode on a twisting road using the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Let the free wheeling engine wind up to 9000 RPM before changing gears and you begin to appreciate the true advantages of a rotary engine. Bought this car with 5000 miles on it - nicely loaded and comfortable to ride in. The 50/50 weight balance is a pure joy, no sudden spin outs - very predictable handling with solid braking and good feedback through the steering wheel. A very nicely put together package or design, utility, performance and fun.

Cornering, paddle shifters, free revving engine, styling, rear access doors for the kids.

Memory seats, improved center console, reversing sensors.

Dangerous to test drive.
By zenmouse

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought my 2005 RX-8 about a week ago, switching from my Audi A4. I never intended to buy the car, but my girlfriend was buying a Mazda 3, and I figured I'd give the 8 a spin while I was at the dealership. Hands-down, it's the most fun car I've ever driven. It's light and agile, rockets you faster to 60 than an s2000, and has incredibly good looks. The rotary engine has a beautiful powerband (and sound), and the 9,000 rpm redline is unbelievable! The four-door functionality is definitely a deal-clincher, as it makes this beast actually practical. My only gripe is the mpg which seems like it should be higher for the size of the engine. But if mpg is what I wanted, I'd have bought a Civic.

Handling, suicide doors, acceleration.

Forced induction, improved gas mileage, iPod connectivity.

• SUV