2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

so sexy!!
By wy

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I just bought my car with barely 30000 miles and I love it!! I have always owned sports like cars but this one, hands down, takes the cake!! I was sketchy about buying a mazda because the last mazda i owned (a mx3) gave me alot of problems :( true this car may not be good for grocery shopping etc, but if you let her warm up and rev the engine before you kill it (not that hard rt??) she is a sexy lil thing to drive and I love her!!

Favorite Features

Everything!! need i say more??

Suggested Improvements

no improvements but maybe a more elongated rear end. might look more sleek, and tougher! plus that would probably allow more trunk space (which there"s barely any)

I love my Rx-8
By I love mazda R's

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love this car!!! I have wanted one since they came out (when I was 11) because my grandma had a yellow Rx-7 when I was little, and I missed it. It drives great, though loud, I love that. You have to use the best quality EVERYTHING!!! I cant stress that more. I live in the hills and it is fun to drive on the curves. I just bought it a month ago as my first car...LOL :)

Favorite Features

-Engine loudness -Fun to drive -The looks

Suggested Improvements

-fuel economy

Can you trash it?
By Street Breed Rx8

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I drive my 05 GT every day and take it to the strip every weekend. It's a great automobile for the person that likes to go a little faster with a little more style. Amazing grip on the black top. Aggressive look, can't go wrong with a 9,000 rpm redline. When you first start the RX-8 the motor makes the best sound in the world. I thrash my RX-8 every day of the week. The Greddy turbo is a great turbo to add to the RX-8 upwards of 70hp gain. and it makes you forget about the absence of torque. Top end never fails. Had it stock up to 143 mph. No problems with maintenence so far. However be careful where your feet are. a couple wrong moves and the RX-8 will flood in a heart beat. Best car ever.

Favorite Features

9,000 RPM redline. Phenomenal top end from a 1.3 liter. Amazing sound from only a rotary motor. Aggressive look. Rear wheel drive. DSC traction and stability control. Suicide rear doors.

Suggested Improvements

More torque. The flooding problem. Maybe make a 3 rotor model? Removal of the console that goes ALL the way back.

20000 mile update
By Stenn

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

When I bought it, I wrote here that it was an exercise in engineering theory and perfection, but not practical due to low fuel efficiency vs. high fuel costs. Well, 20K miles later, I'm still infatuated with it, wouldn't think of driving anything else, and have gotten used to its MPG after an '05 Mustang driver told me he gets the same 15 mpg I do. I'd MUCH rather have this than a Mustang!! I admit that 15 mph is around town and short highway runs, usually doing 100 mph+ to and from work, so of course it's going to suck the gas. But the handling of this thing !! :) And the sound system can't be beat. And it's still the most gorgeous thing on the road if you ask me.

Favorite Features

It's beauty. It's handling. It's comfort (I have a bad back). The sound system. The sound of the rotary!!

Suggested Improvements

The rotary's efficiency is in it's engine size-to-power abilities... a 1.3 liter engine that produces 238HP!, not it's fuel efficiency. If you can accept that, and the cost (it does take money to drive this work of art), then there's nothing to improve.

Buyer beware...
By MR. ED

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

A couple of things interested buyers should know. The bridgestone tires wrapped around the 18 in alloy rims are horrible in snow! Get winter tires or a 2nd car. MPG is another problem. The 05 RX-8 had a couple recalls already. The 2 back seats in the car are for children! Not for adults, unless your under 5'2 you will not be comfortable. At low cruzin' speeds the cabin noise is over whelming. But the fact is the RX-8 is still a pretty fun car to drive. If you dont mind the shortcomings.

Favorite Features

the xenon headlights are awesome!

Suggested Improvements

a faster 0-60mph time.

It's great and almost practical
By Doug

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Purchased w/10K miles on it. Have had no problems, just regular visits for O/C, etc. Car has been great (now 20K Mi). You need to get over 4K RPMs to appreciate the car, handling is great and it's plain fun to drive. Have used winter Dunlops and aside from high drifts, it drives great on snow. Trunk is deceptively large although back seat is only usable if the front seats are in mid position. Mileage is average and engine burns about 1qt every 1000 miles. For the price it's a great value, particularly with the 4yr 50K warranty. A good sportscar option less pedestrian than eclipse or Z. Have owned Acuras, Jags and MB's, this is fun & saves $!

Favorite Features

High revving, looooong power bands.

Suggested Improvements

A bit low to get into for a +6' driver but it comes with the territory. Mileage has been an in city 19 mpg, again not bad for the category of car.

Love the car
By shinka lover

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is an outstanding sports car. If you know how to handle a rotary engine, it should last you a life time. Read the owners manual carefully and follow its instructions on warm-up and down. It doesn't take that much time for either. My wife and I have taken it on a few road trips and were pleased with the overall comfort. It has an incredible stereo system. The shifting (manual) is very smooth. The seat heaters can burn your fanny off if you are not careful!

Favorite Features

This is a world class sports car. The acceration is more than addiquate. The handling is superior. The car seems to feel snugger the faster you go (100+ mph). Good thing it's my wife's car. I can't count the number of times people have commented on the color. It also has a roomy trunk.

Suggested Improvements

There can always be room for improvement in any vehicle, but for a world class sports car this is an incredible buy. The only thing that needs improving is how some people view this engine. If you read the owner's manual and talk with the dealership, this car should last for many years.

Oh Shinka!
By SK

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

My Shinka is hot! Been on numerous tri-state road trips and the fun quotient cannot be matched. Unique looks of the Shinka garner a lot of admiration even from fellow RX-8 owners. Has passed all recall tests with flying colors. Similar bugs already mentioned but overall an awesome, sexy yet functional car. Only cons - light colored leather and the gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Styling, interior, performance, suicide doors.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage and lose the light colored leather. It's a pain to keep clean on a daily use vehicle, especially with the addition of the corgi puppy.

Mazda in Waco, TX
By Greta Texas

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I just bought my dream car. Never thought I'd own a sports car and now I do. The RX-8 is sporty yet is also has a backseat, four doors, and a trunk to hold groceries. I love it!

Favorite Features

I love the body style of the RX-8. It has beautiful curves.

Suggested Improvements

None at this time.

Experiment in Beauty
By Stenn

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

As much as I love my 6-speed Shinka, I'd have to admit it's more an academic exercise in engineering and beauty, a "proof-of-concept" of the rotary engine, than a practical 21st century car. In this age of drying-up oil supplies and soaring fuel-cost, the gas-mileage on this work of art will "kill" you. I'm getting 14MPG no matter how careful I am, while my old, heavy, automatic '95 Nissan Pathfinder regularly gets 17MPG, go figure! Just driving normally ends up with 14mpg. I've only seen one owner-review that says he accomplishes the advertised 24/18, and I'd REALLY like to know how!

Favorite Features

What else is there ... the styling and power, of course! That's what this car is ALL about. Regardless of the fuel economy, I can't take my eyes off the car, I still find it breathtaking, a work of beauty and art, even as I watch the gas-gauge visibly drop. I actually feel guilty driving the car.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously, GAS MILEAGE! And rear-visibility, especially at the 4 o'clock position, is significantly restricted and takes some getting used to. I would also suggest bigger side-view mirrors, they are a bit too small.