Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda Rx-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Still crazy after all these years
By rockschwag

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Can't believe the reviews I read about quality; this sports car has easily been the most reliable car I've ever had. After being left on the side of the road by mustangs and Camaros in the past, as a 6'4" guy I couldn't even fit in the new versions. So I tried this Japanese sports car after my AWD GSX blew, and I fit in it like a glove. You won't find many for sale, but that's how you know its good, and you should grab one before they disappear (like the RX-7). I got a fully loaded sport version in winning blue metallic with the spoiler and trim, and there isn't another one like it within 1000 miles. This is a special car.

Favorite Features

Low center of gravity, corners like its on rails, and always turns heads. 6 CD changer reads MP3s as well, heated leather and mirrors, traction control and antilock brakes work great in bad weather, but you'll need blizzaks if you're serious about winter driving. Effortless at high speeds, and I have to use the cruise regularly because this car gets fast before you realize it. Thought it was slightly louder than most sport cars at speed, but a new set of high quality tires really helped get a quieter ride.

Suggested Improvements

Driving a rotary means the thing LOVES to rev, and you have to learn how to get the rpms up to get to the power, but once you get used to this you can book. I've heard many upgrade to a turbo version, but mine is fast enough, and I have too many tickets already. Regular maintenance is the key to an amazing 10 year love affair with this car, but there are other things to be aware of. Storing in the winter requires starting the car weekly or it will flood, the suicide doors can be a pain when someone parks close, and I wish you didn't have to use the dealer to replace light bulbs, especially the fog lights. I wish it was more fuel efficient.

Worst mistake of my life
By carma8

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Do not buy this car. If you are thinking of buying this car go to the Rx8 forums, everything that can go wrong with this car will go wrong. This car has been the financial ruin of me. When I bought it the KBB price was $17k and thats what I paid. 3 years later I tried to trade it in, and was offered $3k. Bear in mind that it is in better condition now than when I bought it. Every year I spend at least $2-3k on repairs. The only luck I have had is the engine seems to be the only one that works, for now. Thats right $2-3k/year with a healthy engine. The car is crap. Other cars are just as fun to drive with much lower cost. Save yourself and run away.

Favorite Features

When its working it is great fun to drive. But then it breaks.

Suggested Improvements

This car is a heap of garbage the only improvement would be to throw it away.

A fun car if you know how to drive it.
By tw_direwolf

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I've had my 2005 RX8 Grand Touring for just over a year. The worst i've had to do put it in the shop for was because someone (previous owner) bypassed a fuse and shorted a brake light out. Have already been informed of some problems i currently have and know how to fix them. Even with the known problems the car still runs great, gets decent fuel economy ,16-21 mpg, and is extremely fun to drive. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Do plan on doing an RX7 FD Twin Turbo engine swap to it when i get to around 110k miles and rebuild its stock engine (miata's are fun with rotary engines too.)

Favorite Features

6-speed Manual is a wonderful must (grearing could use some tuning). Rotary engines are lots of fun and makes the car fun to drive. With or without Dynamic Stability Control/Traction Control it is still a quick car. I'm babying it while at home but as the saying goes, take care of the car and it will take care of you.

Suggested Improvements

93 Octane is a little pricey but I'm not really complaining. Lighter weight and minor tuning would help improve fuel economy.

Never Again
By scullymo

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This has bee one of my worst car buying experiences. Its hot, and fun to drive and all that, but the air conditioner never works. I have taken it to dealers in 3 states and they all say the same thing, "that's just the way it is, get used to it." I will never drive another Mazda because their customer service everywhere is awful!

Favorite Features

Its a chick magnet! What can I say?

Suggested Improvements

Put a real air conditioner in it!

2nd To NONE
By 2rx8

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

My first RX8 was totaled in an accident (hit by red light run side driver door impact). Fire/EMT said side airbag saved serious head injury if not my life. When seeking replacement car I didn't hesitate to get another RX8. I've not been disappointed in the past 6 years and don't want to part with my RX8. Previously had RX7 and had problems with restart on cold engine, but never with my 2005. The only thing I've had to replace is the battery and tires. Love this car! And I have a Viper so I have real comparative performance. Not that the RX8 is anywhere near a Viper, but when I don't drive the Viper I don't at all mind my RX8.

Favorite Features

Appearance (inside and out), performance, acceleration (2nd gear and beyond).