Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

P.O.S!!!!!
By turtle21

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I had my car for 4 years and it is the worst car ever! I've had 3 engine replacements and 3 transmission replacements. The car has left me stranded numerous times and the brakes even go out on me. I've also had to replace my coils every 3 months. And once the warranty is up good luck trying to get the thing to run!! It overheats and shuts off when driving long distances. It looks nice but runs like crap I wish I never got this car. And now getting rid of it is even harder due to all the problems it has.

Favorite Features

I like the back doors.

Suggested Improvements

The whole car!

Read before you buy a 2005 Maxda RX8
By firebabe

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

The rotary engine is horrible, you have to treat it like a diesel in cold weather which we didn't know and got it flooded. It ended up costing us $1500 to finally get it started and to help prevent it from happening again but now I want rid of it. Check engine light is on all the time and no one knows why. It now sounds bad and every one is now telling me after owning it for 6 months with 69,000 that the rotary engine don't live past 60,000. I know I'm going to lose with trading it in put I can't afford to keep it running. Wish I had never seen this beautiful car but the rotary engine is horrible.

Favorite Features

Cute and fun, sporty car

Suggested Improvements

No rotary engine

Warranty ran out & 1 thing after another
By FLLawyer

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

Bought the car because of looks and the zoom, zoom, zoom when I accelerated. Then the dealership made a recommended adjustment on one of my visits (due to a grinding/rattle noise on sudden accelerations from day one) and the responsiveness was never the same. Right after the 5 yr warranty ran out, the dealership in St. Pete announced that the vibration I was feeling was the engine mounts being kaput. This was a known problem they got a bulletin on. Never told me. They quoted $700 to fix. We bought Mazda mounts from a dealership on line and Midas installed-total cost $300. Soon thereafter the airbag light went on. It flashes or stays on permanently. So got to take it in again.

Favorite Features

Exterior appearance except the paint (white) is weak/thin and pits easily. Like having a back seat.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality paint. Extend warranty on motor mounts since Mazda knows they are defective. Include a hook in the back over the door to hang jacket/dry cleaning. Car should not shift automatically into 4th gear when only going 35-40 MPH especially when dealer says car must be driven at high RPM.

Another love-hate relationship
By Liz

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

While I love the look and feel of my car I have had many difficulties with it. Mazda acknowledges the engine problems that the 2004/2005 RX 8's have and thus have extended the drive train warranty. However, my car has been in the shop more times that I can count. The check engine light is constantly on, even after my engine was replaced! Started with the typical stalling you see in these cars, and went downhill from there. Most recently my oil cooler line completely rusted out, which the mechanic states he has seen in multiple RX 8s. It's a fun car, but as the dealership has told me AFTER pushing me to purchase the car...it should be used as a sports car, not your every day car.

Favorite Features

Comfort and the way it handles are great! Love the design and the suicide doors.

Suggested Improvements

MPG, engine issues, tends to lose a lot of power when A/C is on. Not good in snow weather, snow tires and some weight in the trunk are a big help.

In it for the looks
By Florida

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I wanted to own a great looking sports car at least once before I was too old and would look silly in one. I had been a committed Accord owner for 20 years (cannot say enough about their great reliability.) But I love the way the RX 8 looks and I get compliments on it. It is fun to drive, but that blast off that I got on acceleration, which really sold me on this car, was lost after taking it to the dealer in response to some recall notice a couple years ago. They adjusted something and it was never the same. Anytime I go to the dealer for odd noises, the only thing they do is say it's my fault because I used regular grade gas. Car was recently idling with loud vibration. Coils! only 28K mi

Favorite Features

Appearance. Can drive as automatic or manual shift. It's the sportiest looking car with a back seat for the money. Cool doors. Seat warmers! (It was 37 deg in FL last week.) Decent trunk space, but design of opening is small and prevents many things from going in even tho there is space inside.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a coat hook! Only a 25 cent item and I've missed having it since day one. People who drive sports cars still need to hang up dry cleaning. Gas mileage poor. Paint chips VERY easily. Don't ever just back car out of garage and turn off engine. Manual warns it will not restart. They mean it!