Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Love my 2005 rx8
By Me

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love my car black on black 6 speed manual trans. Absolute blast to drive just as long the roads are dry. Its a rotary so checking the oil frequently and letting it warm up for a little bit in cold weather is a must and dont start it up and shut it right off cold and your fine.
I was very lucky when i bought this car used because the owner took great care of it. Been having issues finding a passenger fender but its cosmetic stuff.

Mazda building another awesome machine
By steven

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Before I bought this car I read some reviews from other owners and forums all talking about how bad rotary engines are and my personal experience I just love them they are really fun really smooth and a 9,000 rpm redline with the RX8 suspension chassis and steering response around the corners is not a better car than this is just incredible how great of a job Mazda did with this car definitely a must have best car I ever owned

A car for people who love cars
By Rotaryphile

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This isn't my first rotary powered vehicle. I used to own an 86 first generation rx7 with a carbureted 12a 1.1 litter 2 rotor wankel. The car was an absolute blast. Minor maintenence kept the rotary alive well over 300k miles without any (I emphasize on ANY!!) internal engine work. Including the apex seals. I now drive an 05 shinka. Let me tell you. To say that I'm satisfied with the quality and reliability of my vehicle would be a complete understatement. It is simple to work on. Comfortable. My ac works fantastic at 115k miles. The car idles and pulls just fine. Burns oil just like it should. Never once has overheated on me. Never had to top off coolant. To say that the renesis wankel (what the engine is actually referred to) is put down so often only shows that rotary engines aren't exactly for everyone. Yeah my car has a few indicator lights on. I can't turn the dsc off without pulling the fuse, and it really tanks gas. But it's my money. I don't regret purchasing this car.

Some advice. If your looking to buy one first off good luck finding a cheap one and second off drive the car for a long time and really get it hot before you purchase it. Kinda goes without saying.

Awesome car for Rotary lovers!
By Cam Smith

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is a really great car, don't let negative reviews sway you as most of the negative reviews are from people who don't want to put in the extra time and care in maintenance. To truly appreciate this amazing vehicle, you need to have a decent understanding of the Wankel rotary engine. It's a super high revving engine due to its design (Redlines at 9000 RPMs). It's owners must love it enough to regularly check the fluids and conduct basic maintenance. The RX-8 will treat you awesome as long as you treat it awesome. The only thing I would recommend is that a perspective owner has the time and funds for keeping it maintained. If you drive it hard and keep the RPM's high, the engine will last a long, long time without carbon build-up. Just take the time to learn about it. I love driving mine! I bought mine as a project car and I have it almost all brand new now. I put a newly rebuilt engine in so the new engine only has 4,184 miles on it, although the odometer still has 172,824 on it. This car handles amazingly and accelerates like crazy once you pass 5k Rpms. The sound of a rotary engine is unlike anything. Another great thing is that they are highly customizable with wonderful support through online forums, clubs, and rotary fanatics. I'll never get rid of mine, no matter what the cost over my lifetime. I have never driven anything as fun as the RX-8, and I've been around a long time.

Still crazy after all these years
By rockschwag

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Can't believe the reviews I read about quality; this sports car has easily been the most reliable car I've ever had. After being left on the side of the road by mustangs and Camaros in the past, as a 6'4" guy I couldn't even fit in the new versions. So I tried this Japanese sports car after my AWD GSX blew, and I fit in it like a glove. You won't find many for sale, but that's how you know its good, and you should grab one before they disappear (like the RX-7). I got a fully loaded sport version in winning blue metallic with the spoiler and trim, and there isn't another one like it within 1000 miles. This is a special car.

Low center of gravity, corners like its on rails, and always turns heads. 6 CD changer reads MP3s as well, heated leather and mirrors, traction control and antilock brakes work great in bad weather, but you'll need blizzaks if you're serious about winter driving. Effortless at high speeds, and I have to use the cruise regularly because this car gets fast before you realize it. Thought it was slightly louder than most sport cars at speed, but a new set of high quality tires really helped get a quieter ride.

Driving a rotary means the thing LOVES to rev, and you have to learn how to get the rpms up to get to the power, but once you get used to this you can book. I've heard many upgrade to a turbo version, but mine is fast enough, and I have too many tickets already. Regular maintenance is the key to an amazing 10 year love affair with this car, but there are other things to be aware of. Storing in the winter requires starting the car weekly or it will flood, the suicide doors can be a pain when someone parks close, and I wish you didn't have to use the dealer to replace light bulbs, especially the fog lights. I wish it was more fuel efficient.