Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mazda RX-8

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

A car for people who love cars
By Rotaryphile

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This isn't my first rotary powered vehicle. I used to own an 86 first generation rx7 with a carbureted 12a 1.1 litter 2 rotor wankel. The car was an absolute blast. Minor maintenence kept the rotary alive well over 300k miles without any (I emphasize on ANY!!) internal engine work. Including the apex seals. I now drive an 05 shinka. Let me tell you. To say that I'm satisfied with the quality and reliability of my vehicle would be a complete understatement. It is simple to work on. Comfortable. My ac works fantastic at 115k miles. The car idles and pulls just fine. Burns oil just like it should. Never once has overheated on me. Never had to top off coolant. To say that the renesis wankel (what the engine is actually referred to) is put down so often only shows that rotary engines aren't exactly for everyone. Yeah my car has a few indicator lights on. I can't turn the dsc off without pulling the fuse, and it really tanks gas. But it's my money. I don't regret purchasing this car.

Some advice. If your looking to buy one first off good luck finding a cheap one and second off drive the car for a long time and really get it hot before you purchase it. Kinda goes without saying.

so sexy!!
By wy

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I just bought my car with barely 30000 miles and I love it!! I have always owned sports like cars but this one, hands down, takes the cake!! I was sketchy about buying a mazda because the last mazda i owned (a mx3) gave me alot of problems :( true this car may not be good for grocery shopping etc, but if you let her warm up and rev the engine before you kill it (not that hard rt??) she is a sexy lil thing to drive and I love her!!

Everything!! need i say more??

no improvements but maybe a more elongated rear end. might look more sleek, and tougher! plus that would probably allow more trunk space (which there"s barely any)

I love my Rx-8
By I love mazda R's

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love this car!!! I have wanted one since they came out (when I was 11) because my grandma had a yellow Rx-7 when I was little, and I missed it. It drives great, though loud, I love that. You have to use the best quality EVERYTHING!!! I cant stress that more. I live in the hills and it is fun to drive on the curves. I just bought it a month ago as my first car...LOL :)

-Engine loudness -Fun to drive -The looks

-fuel economy

Can you trash it?
By Street Breed Rx8

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I drive my 05 GT every day and take it to the strip every weekend. It's a great automobile for the person that likes to go a little faster with a little more style. Amazing grip on the black top. Aggressive look, can't go wrong with a 9,000 rpm redline. When you first start the RX-8 the motor makes the best sound in the world. I thrash my RX-8 every day of the week. The Greddy turbo is a great turbo to add to the RX-8 upwards of 70hp gain. and it makes you forget about the absence of torque. Top end never fails. Had it stock up to 143 mph. No problems with maintenence so far. However be careful where your feet are. a couple wrong moves and the RX-8 will flood in a heart beat. Best car ever.

9,000 RPM redline. Phenomenal top end from a 1.3 liter. Amazing sound from only a rotary motor. Aggressive look. Rear wheel drive. DSC traction and stability control. Suicide rear doors.

More torque. The flooding problem. Maybe make a 3 rotor model? Removal of the console that goes ALL the way back.

20000 mile update
By Stenn

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

When I bought it, I wrote here that it was an exercise in engineering theory and perfection, but not practical due to low fuel efficiency vs. high fuel costs. Well, 20K miles later, I'm still infatuated with it, wouldn't think of driving anything else, and have gotten used to its MPG after an '05 Mustang driver told me he gets the same 15 mpg I do. I'd MUCH rather have this than a Mustang!! I admit that 15 mph is around town and short highway runs, usually doing 100 mph+ to and from work, so of course it's going to suck the gas. But the handling of this thing !! :) And the sound system can't be beat. And it's still the most gorgeous thing on the road if you ask me.

It's beauty. It's handling. It's comfort (I have a bad back). The sound system. The sound of the rotary!!

The rotary's efficiency is in it's engine size-to-power abilities... a 1.3 liter engine that produces 238HP!, not it's fuel efficiency. If you can accept that, and the cost (it does take money to drive this work of art), then there's nothing to improve.