Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

so sexy!!
By wy

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I just bought my car with barely 30000 miles and I love it!! I have always owned sports like cars but this one, hands down, takes the cake!! I was sketchy about buying a mazda because the last mazda i owned (a mx3) gave me alot of problems :( true this car may not be good for grocery shopping etc, but if you let her warm up and rev the engine before you kill it (not that hard rt??) she is a sexy lil thing to drive and I love her!!

Favorite Features

Everything!! need i say more??

Suggested Improvements

no improvements but maybe a more elongated rear end. might look more sleek, and tougher! plus that would probably allow more trunk space (which there"s barely any)

I love my Rx-8
By I love mazda R's

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love this car!!! I have wanted one since they came out (when I was 11) because my grandma had a yellow Rx-7 when I was little, and I missed it. It drives great, though loud, I love that. You have to use the best quality EVERYTHING!!! I cant stress that more. I live in the hills and it is fun to drive on the curves. I just bought it a month ago as my first car...LOL :)

Favorite Features

-Engine loudness -Fun to drive -The looks

Suggested Improvements

-fuel economy

Can you trash it?
By Street Breed Rx8

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I drive my 05 GT every day and take it to the strip every weekend. It's a great automobile for the person that likes to go a little faster with a little more style. Amazing grip on the black top. Aggressive look, can't go wrong with a 9,000 rpm redline. When you first start the RX-8 the motor makes the best sound in the world. I thrash my RX-8 every day of the week. The Greddy turbo is a great turbo to add to the RX-8 upwards of 70hp gain. and it makes you forget about the absence of torque. Top end never fails. Had it stock up to 143 mph. No problems with maintenence so far. However be careful where your feet are. a couple wrong moves and the RX-8 will flood in a heart beat. Best car ever.

Favorite Features

9,000 RPM redline. Phenomenal top end from a 1.3 liter. Amazing sound from only a rotary motor. Aggressive look. Rear wheel drive. DSC traction and stability control. Suicide rear doors.

Suggested Improvements

More torque. The flooding problem. Maybe make a 3 rotor model? Removal of the console that goes ALL the way back.

20000 mile update
By Stenn

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

When I bought it, I wrote here that it was an exercise in engineering theory and perfection, but not practical due to low fuel efficiency vs. high fuel costs. Well, 20K miles later, I'm still infatuated with it, wouldn't think of driving anything else, and have gotten used to its MPG after an '05 Mustang driver told me he gets the same 15 mpg I do. I'd MUCH rather have this than a Mustang!! I admit that 15 mph is around town and short highway runs, usually doing 100 mph+ to and from work, so of course it's going to suck the gas. But the handling of this thing !! :) And the sound system can't be beat. And it's still the most gorgeous thing on the road if you ask me.

Favorite Features

It's beauty. It's handling. It's comfort (I have a bad back). The sound system. The sound of the rotary!!

Suggested Improvements

The rotary's efficiency is in it's engine size-to-power abilities... a 1.3 liter engine that produces 238HP!, not it's fuel efficiency. If you can accept that, and the cost (it does take money to drive this work of art), then there's nothing to improve.

Buyer beware...
By MR. ED

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

A couple of things interested buyers should know. The bridgestone tires wrapped around the 18 in alloy rims are horrible in snow! Get winter tires or a 2nd car. MPG is another problem. The 05 RX-8 had a couple recalls already. The 2 back seats in the car are for children! Not for adults, unless your under 5'2 you will not be comfortable. At low cruzin' speeds the cabin noise is over whelming. But the fact is the RX-8 is still a pretty fun car to drive. If you dont mind the shortcomings.

Favorite Features

the xenon headlights are awesome!

Suggested Improvements

a faster 0-60mph time.