2005 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
P.O.S!!!!!
By turtle21 on 09/12/11 18:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I had my car for 4 years and it is the worst car ever! I've had 3 engine replacements and 3 transmission replacements. The car has left me stranded numerous times and the brakes even go out on me. I've also had to replace my coils every 3 months. And once the warranty is up good luck trying to get the thing to run!! It overheats and shuts off when driving long distances. It looks nice but runs like crap I wish I never got this car. And now getting rid of it is even harder due to all the problems it has.

Read before you buy a 2005 Maxda RX8
By firebabe on 02/15/11 11:07 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

The rotary engine is horrible, you have to treat it like a diesel in cold weather which we didn't know and got it flooded. It ended up costing us $1500 to finally get it started and to help prevent it from happening again but now I want rid of it. Check engine light is on all the time and no one knows why. It now sounds bad and every one is now telling me after owning it for 6 months with 69,000 that the rotary engine don't live past 60,000. I know I'm going to lose with trading it in put I can't afford to keep it running. Wish I had never seen this beautiful car but the rotary engine is horrible.

Warranty ran out & 1 thing after another
By FLLawyer on 07/14/10 09:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

Bought the car because of looks and the zoom, zoom, zoom when I accelerated. Then the dealership made a recommended adjustment on one of my visits (due to a grinding/rattle noise on sudden accelerations from day one) and the responsiveness was never the same. Right after the 5 yr warranty ran out, the dealership in St. Pete announced that the vibration I was feeling was the engine mounts being kaput. This was a known problem they got a bulletin on. Never told me. They quoted $700 to fix. We bought Mazda mounts from a dealership on line and Midas installed-total cost $300. Soon thereafter the airbag light went on. It flashes or stays on permanently. So got to take it in again.

Another love-hate relationship
By Liz on 02/07/10 16:59 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

While I love the look and feel of my car I have had many difficulties with it. Mazda acknowledges the engine problems that the 2004/2005 RX 8's have and thus have extended the drive train warranty. However, my car has been in the shop more times that I can count. The check engine light is constantly on, even after my engine was replaced! Started with the typical stalling you see in these cars, and went downhill from there. Most recently my oil cooler line completely rusted out, which the mechanic states he has seen in multiple RX 8s. It's a fun car, but as the dealership has told me AFTER pushing me to purchase the car...it should be used as a sports car, not your every day car.

In it for the looks
By Florida on 01/27/10 14:42 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I wanted to own a great looking sports car at least once before I was too old and would look silly in one. I had been a committed Accord owner for 20 years (cannot say enough about their great reliability.) But I love the way the RX 8 looks and I get compliments on it. It is fun to drive, but that blast off that I got on acceleration, which really sold me on this car, was lost after taking it to the dealer in response to some recall notice a couple years ago. They adjusted something and it was never the same. Anytime I go to the dealer for odd noises, the only thing they do is say it's my fault because I used regular grade gas. Car was recently idling with loud vibration. Coils! only 28K mi

Worse car I ever owned
By Ron on 12/21/09 12:14 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

Car looks great, however its 4 years old and I have replaced: engine, transmission, extensive work on front end, towed 3 times for no start, headlight assembly (twice), rear taillight assembly, motor mounts (twice), oil leak around oil pump, and paint peeling. Now its back in the shop for no start, and AC problems, also oil leaking again. Most problems happened before 40,000 miles. Most unreliable car I have ever owned.

Not made for long distance driving.
By Ty on 03/16/06 18:35 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

It is a nice looking car. Not as comfortable as I would like but hey, it's a sport car not a family sedan. The bucket seats are not comfortable for long distance trips. It's kind of slow off the line but once it hits about 3500 rpm, this thing can go. Like many other people, I would like a bit more torque in this puppy. It is nice on the freeway, only if you're not living in LA. I am just wondering what is the top speed on an automatic? If you are looking for a fun car to drive and want to be different then everyone else, this may be the car for you.

The joy of balance
By Liam on 03/01/06 12:30 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

The true personality of this car can only be revealed when in manumatic mode on a twisting road using the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Let the free wheeling engine wind up to 9000 RPM before changing gears and you begin to appreciate the true advantages of a rotary engine. Bought this car with 5000 miles on it - nicely loaded and comfortable to ride in. The 50/50 weight balance is a pure joy, no sudden spin outs - very predictable handling with solid braking and good feedback through the steering wheel. A very nicely put together package or design, utility, performance and fun.

Zooma Zoom Zoom
By gloria on 11/01/05 20:06 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I bought my car in July and what a car! I feel great every time I get into my 8. It handles like no other car I've ever owned.The suicide seats are fabulous... I actually enjoy taking on the curves these days. I go out of my way to find "some curves" and just feel my 8 straighten them out. The only other side of the coin is gas mileage. But I can deal with it. Look out world, it"s me and my zooma zoom zoom.

Just a few things shy from perfection
By Andrea on 10/22/05 07:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

Great car. Not impressed with the recall and the flooding problems. Needs a better place for the dipstick, you have to stick your hand down in the engine to get to it. I thought the interior would be more impressive ... my Dodge Neon was about the same when it came to the fanciness. A lot of people lean on that center console to get out because the car is so low, and because it slides open and it's on tracks, it often pops off of track. Maybe get a lift open one instead? The speedometer is a little difficult to read, maybe make it bigger. Gas mileage isn't impressive ... otherwise this car has been very good to me, *knock on wood.*