2005 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Worst mistake of my life
By carma8 on 08/17/14 22:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Do not buy this car. If you are thinking of buying this car go to the Rx8 forums, everything that can go wrong with this car will go wrong. This car has been the financial ruin of me. When I bought it the KBB price was $17k and thats what I paid. 3 years later I tried to trade it in, and was offered $3k. Bear in mind that it is in better condition now than when I bought it. Every year I spend at least $2-3k on repairs. The only luck I have had is the engine seems to be the only one that works, for now. Thats right $2-3k/year with a healthy engine. The car is crap. Other cars are just as fun to drive with much lower cost. Save yourself and run away.

A fun car if you know how to drive it.
By tw_direwolf on 05/05/13 10:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I've had my 2005 RX8 Grand Touring for just over a year. The worst i've had to do put it in the shop for was because someone (previous owner) bypassed a fuse and shorted a brake light out. Have already been informed of some problems i currently have and know how to fix them. Even with the known problems the car still runs great, gets decent fuel economy ,16-21 mpg, and is extremely fun to drive. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Do plan on doing an RX7 FD Twin Turbo engine swap to it when i get to around 110k miles and rebuild its stock engine (miata's are fun with rotary engines too.)

Never Again
By scullymo on 04/26/11 14:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This has bee one of my worst car buying experiences. Its hot, and fun to drive and all that, but the air conditioner never works. I have taken it to dealers in 3 states and they all say the same thing, "that's just the way it is, get used to it." I will never drive another Mazda because their customer service everywhere is awful!

2nd To NONE
By 2rx8 on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

My first RX8 was totaled in an accident (hit by red light run side driver door impact). Fire/EMT said side airbag saved serious head injury if not my life. When seeking replacement car I didn't hesitate to get another RX8. I've not been disappointed in the past 6 years and don't want to part with my RX8. Previously had RX7 and had problems with restart on cold engine, but never with my 2005. The only thing I've had to replace is the battery and tires. Love this car! And I have a Viper so I have real comparative performance. Not that the RX8 is anywhere near a Viper, but when I don't drive the Viper I don't at all mind my RX8.

Thanks Wankel!
By kailua_chaos on 07/03/10 16:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is my second RX8 - my first fell victim to a drunk driver - Handles EXTREMELY well, except in water. A little iffy on gas mileage, except I noticed in mid to high RPM range, gets way better mileage. Great car to race from a stop despite most RWD performances. Very crowded engine bay so semi difficult to work on, but a simple design and easy to take care of. Overall this car is a very mutual car, what I mean is, if you treat it good, it will treat you just as good or better. Oil changes and refills can get annoying, but definitely worth the trouble I'd say!

Lot of engine for a little car
By victor on 07/01/10 20:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I've had my RX8 for three years, and I still get comments about it every now and then. It's a unique car, considering the rotary engine. Let me start there: The rotary has a great range, getting up to 8,000 rpm. It really starts to sing once you get above 4k. You can tell Mazda's engineers spent most of their time and money on the engine. Inside, you get most of the typical features for this kind of car. The gauges look really cool, but that's really the only thing inside that was engineered. The backseat is comfortable enough, and surprisingly roomy with the four doors. This car is a blast to drive, but it can be a rough ride, especially with the Bridgestone OEM tires. Somewhat rattly.

Awesome sports car!
By Drek4 on 04/16/10 08:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is awesome. The best car that I have ever driven. The sweet spot for this wonderful rotary motor is between 5000-8000 rpm, below that it`s just a civilized sedan. I love this car on the highway, so comfortable and at ease with any speed you drive it. The handling of this car is just fabulous thanks to the 50/50 weight ratio front/rear. Even the looks on this car are too good to be true. I don`t know why everyone says to always check the oil level on this car…I've driven about 2500 miles with it since I got it and still at the same mark on the stick. The front seats are nice and comfortable. The BOSE sound system is nice and has a decent surround effect with it's 9 speakers.

Dream come true!
By Drek4 on 04/09/10 13:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Just purchased this awesome machine a little over a month ago. This car is real fun to drive and really stands out by it`s looks and rotary motor. Only thing I don`t really like about it is its fuel consumption but other than that it`s a sheer pleasure to drive. I read a lot of people need to add oil, but have done 2500 mi without needing to add a drop. The best place for it is on the highway, mind you curving roads are fine if you don`t mind the bumps. Suspension a little firm on this car. The Bose sound system is just fine and has a great surround effect and the front seats are very comfortable for 2 hour + rides.

Need To Know!
By RotorHead613 on 03/16/10 19:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Rx-8's are good/great cars but few people know how to take care of them. They are amazing for handling and they are engineering marvels when it comes to the motor. The problem is most people who buy them, do it for the looks not the motor. Rotary is an amazing thing. YOU CANNOT BABY IT! When you buy a car do some research. Understand what your driving and what you need to do. rotary has a different oiling system and it requires the motor to be run at high rpm to keep it well oiled. I own a R1 93 RX-7 and My Rx-8 i know how to take care of them and if u listen to these words you wont have an issue. Check the oil every 750-1000 miles to make sure its full.

MY RX8 OF 3 YRS
By Lethal on 02/03/10 18:38 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have had my 8 for 3 years now got it when I graduated from high school as a first car it ran great never any problems and really fun to drive. 2 years in my cat converter got plugged which gave it no power this was fixed by the dealer no problem free at cost have to change the oil at least every 2-3 months they key is taking care of the car don't be cheap n turn the engine off ull flood it or worse there are no problems if it is taken care of i have also done my car up n boy its been great!2 10" Alpine Subs V12 Alpine Amp Greddy SE exhaust custom led lights K&N Intake