Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Most Helpful|
Need To Know!
By RotorHead613

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Rx-8's are good/great cars but few people know how to take care of them. They are amazing for handling and they are engineering marvels when it comes to the motor. The problem is most people who buy them, do it for the looks not the motor. Rotary is an amazing thing. YOU CANNOT BABY IT! When you buy a car do some research. Understand what your driving and what you need to do. rotary has a different oiling system and it requires the motor to be run at high rpm to keep it well oiled. I own a R1 93 RX-7 and My Rx-8 i know how to take care of them and if u listen to these words you wont have an issue. Check the oil every 750-1000 miles to make sure its full.

Favorite Features

ROTARY! them motor is grate if you know how to take care of it. Like i said check the oil every 50-1000 miles to make sure its full. Rev the motor past 6.5-7k rpm at least once to twice per day to get the oil into all the seals in the motor. i haven't needed service since the day i bought it.

Suggested Improvements

Drop some weight there are a lot of unnecessary things in the car that make it heavier. gas mileage could be a little higher but that could be solved with thought 1. More options for RIMS. the factory gray and chrome dont match any of the paint colors offered. Get black ones they make it look perf!

P.O.S!!!!!
By turtle21

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I had my car for 4 years and it is the worst car ever! I've had 3 engine replacements and 3 transmission replacements. The car has left me stranded numerous times and the brakes even go out on me. I've also had to replace my coils every 3 months. And once the warranty is up good luck trying to get the thing to run!! It overheats and shuts off when driving long distances. It looks nice but runs like crap I wish I never got this car. And now getting rid of it is even harder due to all the problems it has.

Favorite Features

I like the back doors.

Suggested Improvements

The whole car!

Worst mistake of my life
By carma8

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Do not buy this car. If you are thinking of buying this car go to the Rx8 forums, everything that can go wrong with this car will go wrong. This car has been the financial ruin of me. When I bought it the KBB price was $17k and thats what I paid. 3 years later I tried to trade it in, and was offered $3k. Bear in mind that it is in better condition now than when I bought it. Every year I spend at least $2-3k on repairs. The only luck I have had is the engine seems to be the only one that works, for now. Thats right $2-3k/year with a healthy engine. The car is crap. Other cars are just as fun to drive with much lower cost. Save yourself and run away.

Favorite Features

When its working it is great fun to drive. But then it breaks.

Suggested Improvements

This car is a heap of garbage the only improvement would be to throw it away.

Zooma Zoom Zoom
By gloria

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I bought my car in July and what a car! I feel great every time I get into my 8. It handles like no other car I've ever owned.The suicide seats are fabulous... I actually enjoy taking on the curves these days. I go out of my way to find "some curves" and just feel my 8 straighten them out. The only other side of the coin is gas mileage. But I can deal with it. Look out world, it"s me and my zooma zoom zoom.

Favorite Features

1.The style, it's tres chic. 2. Handling, it's awesome 3. The acceleration, it scared me the first time I tried to accelerate-zooooom. 4.Suicide seats, eye catcher 5.Dual exhaust. 6. Sound system, it's a BOSE and it rocks

Suggested Improvements

I absolutely love my car, even the rims. I'd like to see an improved suspension system or can I get one added now?

The joy of balance
By Liam

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

The true personality of this car can only be revealed when in manumatic mode on a twisting road using the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Let the free wheeling engine wind up to 9000 RPM before changing gears and you begin to appreciate the true advantages of a rotary engine. Bought this car with 5000 miles on it - nicely loaded and comfortable to ride in. The 50/50 weight balance is a pure joy, no sudden spin outs - very predictable handling with solid braking and good feedback through the steering wheel. A very nicely put together package or design, utility, performance and fun.

Favorite Features

Cornering, paddle shifters, free revving engine, styling, rear access doors for the kids.

Suggested Improvements

Memory seats, improved center console, reversing sensors.