2005 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
A fun car if you know how to drive it.
By tw_direwolf on 05/05/13 10:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I've had my 2005 RX8 Grand Touring for just over a year. The worst i've had to do put it in the shop for was because someone (previous owner) bypassed a fuse and shorted a brake light out. Have already been informed of some problems i currently have and know how to fix them. Even with the known problems the car still runs great, gets decent fuel economy ,16-21 mpg, and is extremely fun to drive. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Do plan on doing an RX7 FD Twin Turbo engine swap to it when i get to around 110k miles and rebuild its stock engine (miata's are fun with rotary engines too.)

P.O.S!!!!!
By turtle21 on 09/12/11 18:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I had my car for 4 years and it is the worst car ever! I've had 3 engine replacements and 3 transmission replacements. The car has left me stranded numerous times and the brakes even go out on me. I've also had to replace my coils every 3 months. And once the warranty is up good luck trying to get the thing to run!! It overheats and shuts off when driving long distances. It looks nice but runs like crap I wish I never got this car. And now getting rid of it is even harder due to all the problems it has.

Never Again
By scullymo on 04/26/11 14:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This has bee one of my worst car buying experiences. Its hot, and fun to drive and all that, but the air conditioner never works. I have taken it to dealers in 3 states and they all say the same thing, "that's just the way it is, get used to it." I will never drive another Mazda because their customer service everywhere is awful!

Read before you buy a 2005 Maxda RX8
By firebabe on 02/15/11 11:07 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

The rotary engine is horrible, you have to treat it like a diesel in cold weather which we didn't know and got it flooded. It ended up costing us $1500 to finally get it started and to help prevent it from happening again but now I want rid of it. Check engine light is on all the time and no one knows why. It now sounds bad and every one is now telling me after owning it for 6 months with 69,000 that the rotary engine don't live past 60,000. I know I'm going to lose with trading it in put I can't afford to keep it running. Wish I had never seen this beautiful car but the rotary engine is horrible.

2nd To NONE
By 2rx8 on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

My first RX8 was totaled in an accident (hit by red light run side driver door impact). Fire/EMT said side airbag saved serious head injury if not my life. When seeking replacement car I didn't hesitate to get another RX8. I've not been disappointed in the past 6 years and don't want to part with my RX8. Previously had RX7 and had problems with restart on cold engine, but never with my 2005. The only thing I've had to replace is the battery and tires. Love this car! And I have a Viper so I have real comparative performance. Not that the RX8 is anywhere near a Viper, but when I don't drive the Viper I don't at all mind my RX8.

Warranty ran out & 1 thing after another
By FLLawyer on 07/14/10 09:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

Bought the car because of looks and the zoom, zoom, zoom when I accelerated. Then the dealership made a recommended adjustment on one of my visits (due to a grinding/rattle noise on sudden accelerations from day one) and the responsiveness was never the same. Right after the 5 yr warranty ran out, the dealership in St. Pete announced that the vibration I was feeling was the engine mounts being kaput. This was a known problem they got a bulletin on. Never told me. They quoted $700 to fix. We bought Mazda mounts from a dealership on line and Midas installed-total cost $300. Soon thereafter the airbag light went on. It flashes or stays on permanently. So got to take it in again.

Thanks Wankel!
By kailua_chaos on 07/03/10 16:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is my second RX8 - my first fell victim to a drunk driver - Handles EXTREMELY well, except in water. A little iffy on gas mileage, except I noticed in mid to high RPM range, gets way better mileage. Great car to race from a stop despite most RWD performances. Very crowded engine bay so semi difficult to work on, but a simple design and easy to take care of. Overall this car is a very mutual car, what I mean is, if you treat it good, it will treat you just as good or better. Oil changes and refills can get annoying, but definitely worth the trouble I'd say!

Lot of engine for a little car
By victor on 07/01/10 20:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I've had my RX8 for three years, and I still get comments about it every now and then. It's a unique car, considering the rotary engine. Let me start there: The rotary has a great range, getting up to 8,000 rpm. It really starts to sing once you get above 4k. You can tell Mazda's engineers spent most of their time and money on the engine. Inside, you get most of the typical features for this kind of car. The gauges look really cool, but that's really the only thing inside that was engineered. The backseat is comfortable enough, and surprisingly roomy with the four doors. This car is a blast to drive, but it can be a rough ride, especially with the Bridgestone OEM tires. Somewhat rattly.

Awesome sports car!
By Drek4 on 04/16/10 08:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is awesome. The best car that I have ever driven. The sweet spot for this wonderful rotary motor is between 5000-8000 rpm, below that it`s just a civilized sedan. I love this car on the highway, so comfortable and at ease with any speed you drive it. The handling of this car is just fabulous thanks to the 50/50 weight ratio front/rear. Even the looks on this car are too good to be true. I don`t know why everyone says to always check the oil level on this carÂ…I've driven about 2500 miles with it since I got it and still at the same mark on the stick. The front seats are nice and comfortable. The BOSE sound system is nice and has a decent surround effect with it's 9 speakers.

Dream come true!
By Drek4 on 04/09/10 13:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Just purchased this awesome machine a little over a month ago. This car is real fun to drive and really stands out by it`s looks and rotary motor. Only thing I don`t really like about it is its fuel consumption but other than that it`s a sheer pleasure to drive. I read a lot of people need to add oil, but have done 2500 mi without needing to add a drop. The best place for it is on the highway, mind you curving roads are fine if you don`t mind the bumps. Suspension a little firm on this car. The Bose sound system is just fine and has a great surround effect and the front seats are very comfortable for 2 hour + rides.