2004 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Review: Road Warrior

2004 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Review

Manual Coupe (1.3L 6-speed Manual)

Road Warrior
By James Pulley on

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I purchased the 2004 RX-8 I have now in 2006 as a used car. There have been some nitpicky items but overall I am happy with the decision. As a note, just this past weekend I turned 100K on the clock, so this car has seen more than it's share of miles. As to the nitpicky items? I am a tall guy, with both longs legs and long torso, so I get hit on the headroom and on the legroom, particularly with the dead peddle, which I remove for longer road trips - there's an extra five inches of leg room that thing eats up! The laughable part, my SUV with 260K on the clock regularly gets 25-27mpg on the highway. The best I have ever achieved in the RX8? About 23. But heck, it's a sports car!

This engine is smooth! The lightweight, tossable nature of this car makes it a genuine pleasure to drive even in congested traffic.

A lot of my items are related to long distance use of the RX-8. I agree with the hot cupholder area which needs more insulation. I would also suggest that the touring trim level should receive additional sound insulation. Add an optional short dead peddle for us long-legged types.