Reliable Fun
By Irfan on
2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)
I had this car for a 4 year lease and didn't have any major issues with it. It was pretty rock solid, I didn't have a major issue with anything really. It did have its quirks and things that irritated me but nothing that left me stranded. I wish it had more power, but on the twisties it was outstanding. The interior styling won it over for me over the g35 at the time. The g35 had more power but just felt bulky and heavy compared to the lightweight agility the RX-8 offered. I always felt I could toss it around and maintain full control. Most of issues I had have been fixed for the 09 year as listed below. Mazda must have really listened because nearly EVERY quirk has been addressed.
Favorite Features
Rotary engine smoothness, interior style, exterior stlye, handling, handling, handling. 6 speed is perfect.
Suggested Improvements
Gauge cluster looks cheap (fixed in 09). HVAC system is loud over level 2 (fixed in 09), arm rests not padded (fixed in 09), nav system is awful (fixed in 09, along with adding BT and touchscreen, no onetouch up and down windows (fixed in 09). Gas mileage (not fixed).