Used 2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews - 586 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Runs like Crap
By PureCarnage

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. I tell everyone I meet who admire its looks- all show, no go. It has been in the shop so many times I can't count. The last straw being the dealership waiting for the warranty to expire and then telling me I need a new engine. Something I told them for 2 years prior. No power, even as new. Bad tranny to engine hook-up, makes a horrible noise if you stomp on it. Rattles coming from everywhere. I see numerous defects that are common for all owners and no recalls for them. You have to complain for service. Never buy a Mazda again.

Looks great when parked and only when parked.

Rotor head; GT 6mt
By timqua

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought this car January 2005, getting a 2004 model which saved me 1k. It is a joy to drive based on shifting, cornering, speed at mid to high range RPMs, responsiveness and agility. Gas mileage is poor and range is sad. I filled the 15 gallon tank about every 1.5 weeks, until I parked it and use it only for joyrides. I replace about 1/8 quart of oil every other tank fill-up. Engine flashes were all performed without difficulty, I experience rough idling and occasionally idles to a stop if not allowed to warm well before driving. A rear taillight was replaced for condensation. I've had zero mechanical or engine problems in 4 years. Truly a joy to drive.

Cornering, responsive, ability to weave in and out of traffic. Mid and high speed acceleration. Slick transmission.

Overall HP, increase lower end torque so fuel consumption improves, possible turbo or 3 rotor model; electronically adjustable suspension; idle and overdrive RPMs

Motor to rotor
By motor2rotor

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Like a lot of other people, I was afraid of the rotary. It is so much different than anything on the road. That difference is what scared me, but that was till I drove one. I fell in love with this car in the first minute behind the wheel. It does have some dos and don'ts but what car doesn't. A pure sports car at this price is almost to good to be true. It is a high maintenance car so if you want to race stop light to stop light go buy a Honda! If you want a perfectly balanced extension of your thoughts to the road buy a RX8!

Navi, leather, interior, exterior! I love the whole package. I really love the self dim. rear-view, and built in garage door opener.

Fuel economy, but who are you kidding? You're not looking at this car for its MPG

Hot Ride
By MartyH.

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I got this car as used one w/ 33k on his back. But it was worth it. First impression wasn't that good about accelerations, but as I learned about rotary engine, that was pretty standard for auto/manual transmission. Which I choose for comfort and pedal shifters kinda looking like in most expensive sports cars. Fact is that fuel economy is that what you expect from sports car... you have to take the power somewhere if you have 1300cc in ultra light sexy looking racer with handling of formule1. I am looking forward for new RX9 in future, for now I may just get newer version w/ six speed transmission.

Engine over 4500 rpm, shifters, sunroof, heated seats, brakes (I've got 'red stuff'). Man HANDLING!

Six speed trans. with a clutch for first gear take off. (I just love steering wheel shifters and I can't afford any cars close to 150k.)

BAD NEWS DO NOT BUY
By Sarah

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Bought this gorgeous car new. At 20,000 miles it had been in the shop over 30x. At 30,000 miles and a new engine later they still could not resolve the problems going on with it. Yes it is a beautiful car and until this day I still think that there isn't another car looks as sharp but unless you don't care to pay out big bucks and never drive it I wouldn't recommend it. I do drive my cars I buy them to drive them not keep in the garage but I would still think at 30,000 miles a car should still have a lot of good usage left. Needless to say 20 grand in the whole I had to get rid of it because I need a dependable car.