2004 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
My fourth RX
By JamesBaud on 08/27/06 08:38 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is the fourth rotary I've owned (82, 85, 91 RX-7s) and I'm pleased. The car looks awesome, has exciting acceleration, sounds cool, is surprisingly roomy, has a neat dash, and handles very well. Like my other RX-7's, cons include an interior that doesn't wear well (easy to scuff up--especially the leather, center console/cover tends to come loose, leather shift cover likely to crack), and poor gas mileage (no surprise). Also, the A/C in the RX-8 seems underpowered. A big pro is that these vehicles typically require little maintenance (no timing belt replacements, valve adjustments, etc.) so long as you keep the fluid levels topped off.

Zoom Zoom with lots of room
By GaylordMays on 08/26/06 19:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The RX-8 won't go 0-60 with blinding speed. It's only 1.8 liters, but if you want to rip through a winding roads like sports cars are meant to do, you can't beat it for the price. Its worst feature is gas mileage. I love the interior layout. All the gauges are clearly visible and the huge 10K tach with the digital speedometer is way cool even though I don't look at it much; I shift by sound. If I get to wound up in the post 8000 rpm whine the audible alarm that goes off as I pass through 95K mark reminds me to shift. I haven't experienced any maintenance problems (mine's a 6 speed manual). My biggest thrill comes from the G-force engaging the limited slip differential in the curves.

No problems, great on twisties
By allston on 08/22/06 13:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I'm now at 30k miles, and the only maintenance work I've had has been the recommended maintenance work. The fuel mileage seems to have improved a little from when I first purchased it, and the oil consumption is also down even though I've been driving it harder. The car excels in the turns, and it's fantastic at the track.

2004 Mazda RX8
By Joseph Torres on 08/16/06 18:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Handling of this car is great. It is priced right and has a great design.

zoom zoom
By martha phillips on 08/12/06 09:41 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have enjoyed every aspect of this car except the gas mileage. I bought the first model year, 2004, and it's been perfect so far. No engine troubles, no performance issues. And the only interior issue is a little squeak the sun roof makes when it's tilted open. Open it all the way and no noise. As promised, this car has been both practical and fun. I'm thrilled. I drove it about 900 miles on a road trip from San Francisco to Seattle and it was surprisingly comfortable for the long haul. One other interior issue is the heat. They could stand better heat insulation around the drive train as the inside of the car gets quite hot and is tough to cool down, even with the AC blasting.

A real sportscar with practicality
By Jimk on 08/04/06 14:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love this car. It does everything it's supposed to perfectly. A solid reliable sportscar you can race at the track or take for 2 week road trip. It has a nice ride and superior handling. It can straighten out any curve fast. It makes me feel like a better driver than I am. It revs like a sportbike and is as much fun to drive. I highly recommend it.

Love it Hate It
By BK on 08/04/06 12:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car gets looks. The engine isn't annoying. The problem is the car has a tendency to flood. Tow truck drivers tell you that you're not the only one. They are towing these quite often. That is the hate it part. The love it part is this is a fun car to drive. Then engine has poor low-end pick up, but one you pass 3,000RPM, the car is fun to drive.

I guess I got the bad one in the batch
By Adam on 07/27/06 15:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I was looking for something fun to drive. I came across it when I first laid eyes on the RX-8. I loved it my first year or so driving it when all the problems began. I always serviced my vehicle when the book states to do so. I always added oil when I was told to. But to no avail... my car just didn't work correctly. At about 14,000 miles my check engine light came on and until about two months ago, now 36,000 miles, did it go off. I went to the dealerships and they told me that oxygen sensors needed to be replaced. Then I went back and they told me that the gas line had something wrong with it. Then I went back and they told me that it was an oil issue. Finally they told me I needed a new engine.

great car
By jim nowell on 07/26/06 12:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Plenty of zoom zoom and room for a 6'4" man. Gas mileage is about 17mpg in town or on highway. Must be my lead foot. Shifts smooth and has plenty of get up and go.

Too much fun!
By M&M on 06/27/06 09:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

We are completely pleased by the performance, practicality, and quirkiness of this car. Perfectly balanced and, with snow tires, a blast to drive in the winter. Gas mileage is a stinker, but it seems to be getting better as the engine breaks in. The sound of a rotary engine is wonderful: Very Jetson-like at low revs and silky-smooth all the way to redline. The manual transmission shifts easily, the clutch is light. All the bits and pieces that make this car wonderful add up to a swift, stable, safe car that even novice sports car owners like us can drive with confidence. Everything works together really well.