Used 2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Another RX-8 Lemon
By Anne

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Here is another RX-8 that had to have the engine replaced. This car is an outrage that they ever put this car into production! My husband owned a 1984 RX-7 and loved it. We were so disappointed. It been in the shop since we got it. The engine light has never been off. The deal told us it was sand in the engine, then this and that and final we demanded a new engine. Has been OK for three years and now the engine shuts down once it get hot..about 90 miles. SO now we just drive it 15 minutes to the van pool. Mazda you should have recalled this car..never by another Mazda and tell my horror story. My other car is a 2002 Toyota 4Runner..the best truck on earth..no kidding!

Ride look

not recomended
By grrrrrrr

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Bought the car two years ago, was great the first year, because I was 19 and all the looks it got. Now i'm 21 and I am getting very tired of it stalling in 80+ degree weather, and taking over a minute to start the car in the cold (under 30 or so degrees). It is a great looking car, but the pros don't outweigh the cons by any means. I have yet to get over 22 mpg (and have only got that once). I average around 18 or 19 mpg. I bought this car because its the only 4 door sports car, but I am very regretful of my decision. It has lost more than half its value in 2 years. I have no control in the winter and dread waking up and seeing it snowing.

looks.

horse, torque, gas consumption, MAJOR engine improvements, Aux plug in (for radio) take the plastic crap off in the engine bc it is embarrassing.

Mini Van...Who Needs One
By BV04RX8

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Lots of choices out there to haul your family but not many that gives you the fun and accessibility of the RX8. I have tried putting a baby seat in Audi TT's, RSX's, BMW 330 coupe's and none seem to work as well and as easy as the RX8. The trunk is a bit small for a stroller but it works. Plus, you can get several golf bags back there. The drive is really comfortable. It takes on bumps really well and can really hug the curves. If you see one used and you are thinking about buying it, check out the MazdaSpeed body kit as a add on. Makes a huge difference in the presence of your car and stands out among other cars. Really sharp. The only thing I would say is get one with low miles.

back doors, speed...the car is faster than you think, test drive one at least before buying another car.

Gas consumption is bad. Clutch is a bit spongy. Bose audio is not very good unless you crank it up. Low volume is muffled a bit.

Runs like Crap
By PureCarnage

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. I tell everyone I meet who admire its looks- all show, no go. It has been in the shop so many times I can't count. The last straw being the dealership waiting for the warranty to expire and then telling me I need a new engine. Something I told them for 2 years prior. No power, even as new. Bad tranny to engine hook-up, makes a horrible noise if you stomp on it. Rattles coming from everywhere. I see numerous defects that are common for all owners and no recalls for them. You have to complain for service. Never buy a Mazda again.

Looks great when parked and only when parked.

Rotor head; GT 6mt
By timqua

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought this car January 2005, getting a 2004 model which saved me 1k. It is a joy to drive based on shifting, cornering, speed at mid to high range RPMs, responsiveness and agility. Gas mileage is poor and range is sad. I filled the 15 gallon tank about every 1.5 weeks, until I parked it and use it only for joyrides. I replace about 1/8 quart of oil every other tank fill-up. Engine flashes were all performed without difficulty, I experience rough idling and occasionally idles to a stop if not allowed to warm well before driving. A rear taillight was replaced for condensation. I've had zero mechanical or engine problems in 4 years. Truly a joy to drive.

Cornering, responsive, ability to weave in and out of traffic. Mid and high speed acceleration. Slick transmission.

Overall HP, increase lower end torque so fuel consumption improves, possible turbo or 3 rotor model; electronically adjustable suspension; idle and overdrive RPMs