2004 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Joy to Own
By Kap on 01/18/07 19:26 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is a wonderful GT style car that is comfortable and entertaining.

RX8, cute but unreliable. Don't buy!
By Diana on 01/17/07 05:26 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The RX-8 is a gas guzzler, the brakes squeal, it's temperamental, if you turn if off without letting it run long enough it may flood itself after which you will have to have it towed to the dealership. It burns oil fast and sometimes it doesn’t start the first time you turn the ignition. There were problems with the oil pan, panels popping up, the under carriage fell down; the solenoid even died causing me to lose power steering on Highway 95. “Just bring it in again if you have any more problems” is what they continue to say. My response is that I shouldn't have to keep taking off from work to take in a new car. The car is unreliable and is not worth the time and expense!

my car
By diana romines on 01/10/07 09:41 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought my RX8 in February of 2004; since then I have a lot of fun driving it when it's on the road. My car spends what I consider an excessive amount of time at the dealership getting worked on. I have had to have a new transmission put in it at about 20,000 miles and it is currently having the 2nd replacement engine put in. Since it crossed over approximately 15,000 miles it has had one thing after another go out, not to mention several recalls and the aggravation of having to take it to the dealer every 5,000 miles in between all the unscheduled service trips. I love my car, I have the only yellow RX8 around here and it really disappoints me that it doesn't hold up to what I expected from a Mazda.

A blast to drive and looks good
By JZ on 01/06/07 09:14 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Overall the car is a great experience. I replaced the expensive run flat tires when I took a nail in the sidewall and bought a spare on eBay. Driving it to work can be frustrating because you have to hold it back in heavy traffic. It's fabulous to drive on trips. My first rotary. I like the sounds but miss the rumble of a big V-8. My mileage started out low but has improved to a steady 20 mpg. If you drive slow on the freeway, you might get 22 (downhill).

Read Before buying
By Bama on 01/02/07 15:38 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

My first Mazda. I have had 3 recalls in less than 3 years. one was to replace the motor!. Less than a month after the motor was replaced . The car started running hot. Through no fault of the dealer's mechanic and everything hooked back up right. The radiator fan burned out. Whats next? You can buy this car if you like. But i will be putting mine in to some Toyota dealer's used parking lot. 200,000+ sold with the same motor and fan. Good luck

Mazda did it again
By Gabe on 11/25/06 08:37 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Wow, if only Mazda owned Ford and not the only way around. This is the 3rd Mazda in my family, and my 2nd sporty one (ex-Miata owner). Before you buy a RX-8, know what you're getting: a real sports car that is practical. Think NASCAR vs F-1, i.e. the RX-8 won't blow away a Mustang GT but in a twisty road you will leave it eating your dust. Four people can be comfortable in it, but the trunk is small with the spare. The rotary by design burns oil and needs to be warmed up, so be advised. Also the Renesis rotary engine uses gas like a V-6 so the comments here are true. I've had the car for almost a year in the warm FL weather and I still look forward to driving it, that's how fun it is.

Two years and going
By dryer on 11/21/06 19:07 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Fun to drive, takes corners like it is glued to the road. Have to rev to get torque. Do not be afraid to wind it out. More power at higher speeds. Rides better than a Z.

Best Mazda I ever owned
By RedRX8 on 11/19/06 19:43 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I've owned several Mazdas in my day. The RX3, RX4 pickup, RX7 carb., RX7 GSL SE fuel injected, and now the 2004 RX8 6 MT. This is by far the best car of them all. I was the first one to buy an RX8 at my new dealership. So I was expecting Mazda would have some problems with such an advanced engineered sports car. The only constant updates were on the PCM programs to improve fuel mixtures, oil metering, & cold starting problems. They finally got it all working perfectly. This is the must fun you can have driving without getting a ticket.

2004 RX8 as a weekender.
By themo2v8r on 10/29/06 20:39 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is a great 2nd car. I do not recommend this as a daily though. Gas is fair (12-15mpg), room is A++ and fun factor is off the charts. The RX8 is a great car for attention and getting somewhere quickly, very quickly. To address some reviews that the car has no horsepower, keep in mind most of these people have autos. Also this car was meant to kick but after 4,000 RPMs. A Z will get you off the line, but you will catch up and pass! With a six speed you can 40 in first, 70 in second, 90 in 3rd (never went past 90 yet, I have a good driving record:). I don't recommend driving like that all the time, but if you need to get out of the way fast, you can.

Looks great and works bad
By bob forman on 10/04/06 02:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This call has been towed to the dealer at least 10 times. There is a definite flaw in the design of the engine.It's failure to start especially in cold weather is frustrating. Although the handling is superior to any car I have owned, for a sports car this car is way to sluggish. I do have an automatic transmission. I am sorry I did not get the Nissan Z instead of this rattle machine