Used 2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

3 Year Owner with 80K miles
By ckrx8

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I've owned my RX8 for 3 years now. I'm a rotary enthusiast, owned RX7's and work on RX's of all sorts. First off, this car is an amazing machine as far as handling and value for a very affordable price. However, before you buy make sure you know what you're getting into. Like most rotaries, this car is temperamental, it WILL be high maintenance and its important you know that. Acceleration is good for a stock car but modding this car with simple bolt ons will do NOTHING. Major dollars are involved if you want to go faster. Overall, I'm a very happy owner, I plan to keep this car when its paid off and turn it into a track car.

Favorite Features

Great looks, awesome interior, turns heads everywhere.

Suggested Improvements

32K car, no auto climate control? Even the speed3 has that! Not a fan of the altezza looking tail lamps. Side port Renesis motor makes for carbon build up issues (2006 engine recall), return to the bottom mounted exhaust ports for reliability purposes.

Great Car for Most Purposes
By Stonejaw

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The RX8 is very fun to drive! Great road feel and superb handling. If you want to drive this car where there is snow - get dedicated snow tires! This is not a 4x4 (that are all in the ditch because they start well but don't stop any better) but I regress. With the Potenza's that come with the car RE040(very noisy and rough riding) forget about driving in the winter. However, put some Pirelli Wintersport 210's on and have fun! I have taken it skiing in Colorado numerous times including blizzard conditions and heavy snow and it came through just fine. Also since the tires are an integral suspension component treat yourself to some Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions - will get you home.

Favorite Features

Styling, frequent positive comments even 6 years later! Great interior and backseat that works well up to about 5'6". Large enough trunk for portable soccer goals and a dozen #5 balls. Let's see you do that in any other true sports car! Handling is fantastic and ride pretty good,keep pressure 30- 32.

Suggested Improvements

Low rpm power is lacking. The cure is to rev to 3,500 - 4,000 at takeoff and you will have a smile on your face everytime. Gas mileage 16 in town and 23-24 at 80 mph (with a heavy foot most of the time). Reliability and body integrity have been great for me. Had problems with leaky tailight assembly

DO NOT BUY REPLACED 2 ENGINES
By Jessie

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is th absolute worst car I think of all time. I bought this car brand new in 04 and it has been nothing but problems. I have replaced 2 engines and that is just the beginning, everytime I turn around something is wrong with it and it cost a pretty penny to fix everything. This car makes awful rattleing noises, it breaks down on me while driving on the road about once a week, whick is very dangerous in traffic. The dealership has been absolutely no help and often have to argue with them. The problems are never ending! It pretty to the eye and thats bout as far as it goes.

Favorite Features

the seats

Suggested Improvements

people need to stop buying them so mazda will discontinue making these awful things!

The funnest car I've ever owned
By NW Redhead

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car rocks! Purchased it new as a 30th b-day present to myself and have no regrets. My first car was a 79 RX7 and then I had a 91 MR2 and this RX8 blows them both out of the water. It corners like a dream and the acceleration onto the fwy gives me a smile everytime. I've had it up to 140 mph and it had room for more - I just chickened out. I get looks and comments on it all the time. It's such a unique looking car. The 4 door aspect is really only good for lower insurance although the backseats are surprisingly roomy. No engine probs at all. Not good in the snow so luckily I have the luxury of garaging it for the winter and driving a beater 4x4. Gas mileage is a consistent 20.

Favorite Features

Looks. Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.

Another RX-8 Lemon
By Anne

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Here is another RX-8 that had to have the engine replaced. This car is an outrage that they ever put this car into production! My husband owned a 1984 RX-7 and loved it. We were so disappointed. It been in the shop since we got it. The engine light has never been off. The deal told us it was sand in the engine, then this and that and final we demanded a new engine. Has been OK for three years and now the engine shuts down once it get hot..about 90 miles. SO now we just drive it 15 minutes to the van pool. Mazda you should have recalled this car..never by another Mazda and tell my horror story. My other car is a 2002 Toyota 4Runner..the best truck on earth..no kidding!

Favorite Features

Ride look