2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Zoom_Zoom_Zoom!
By HeatherStevens on 09/12/07 15:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I just got this car a month or two ago, I love everything about it but the gas. The gas is just horrible. I feel like everyday I am putting gas in it. I love how it drives, it's real comfortable, everything is in reach. This is my first car and I don't think I would ever trade it in. (Well only if they would get better MPG.)

The only car like it
By NOPI4U on 09/11/07 10:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I purchased my 2004 RX-8 in February of 2007. The car had 25,000 miles on it and a decent price. I was already in love with the rotary engine before I invested in the car so, I already had a good idea what I was up against. Without a shadow of a doubt, the car performs well. I've managed to squeeze out many 5 second 0-60 times and surpass all of my expectations with my MT. I have only had one quality issue with my RX-8. The clutch had scattered a few springs and thus, was not disengaging properly. This caused wear in the synchros that eventually led to the end of the transmission. After a new clutch and a new tranny (compliments of Mazda), the car is absolutely perfect.

Fun As Hell To Drive
By Kevin on 07/30/07 02:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Wow!! I've had my RX-8 for about 3 months. Its the GT Pkg M/T. The only one I've seen so far with the Blk/Red leather combo. When I first bought the car I took it down a very twisty 2 lane country highway and it cornered very precise. I was taking practically 90 degree turns at 65 mph with ease and control. The handling is perfect! The 50/50 weight distribution is wonderful. Love the sound of the rotary engine, my first. The body lines are beautiful and very aggressive looking. Onlookers are always commenting on how it looks. The interior is comfy. No rattles. Didn't buy the car based on cup holders. This is a true driver's car. It begs to be driven like it was built to do. The power is awesome.

Lots of ZOOOM for the Buck
By Rob@ Bement Illinois on 07/27/07 15:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This zippy 2004 manual RX-8 is the 4th sports car I've owned (79, 84 trans ams, 94 mustang) and I have no regrets thus far. I didn't plan on buying it but test drove it just wasting time while my trade in was getting appraised. I'm 5-8 & 200 lbs and found the seats to be a little small for us older Americans. If you ride the brakes at first for 3 seconds after 2 min. warming up, the brake squeak will stop. I get 20 mpg and 18.5 if I have my foot in it more than I should. The smooth ride from this lgt wgt car was really impressive. Controls are many and driver friendly. Wind noise with windows open sunroof closed is above average. Driver visibility req. mirrors to be adjusted correctly.

Looks Great!
By keithr on 07/03/07 12:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The RX-8 is a great looking car. I don't know that I've ever had a car that got as many compliments! The ride is very tight and you feel the road a bit too much but the overall driving experience makes up for it. The only disappointment has been the fuel economy - 17 city & 21 hwy. For premium gas it should be considerably higher but I guess that's the price for performance.

"Lemon" Yellow
By toconner on 06/11/07 16:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought my car in Mar 04. After 6 months new brakes and rotors. Nov 06 - took car in for oil change, was told need new motor in recall. New motor then required a new trans. Now in again because car is just not running right - doesn't want to start and backfires. I just wish Mazda would fix my little yellow car and bring it back to the car I use to love to drive and brag about.

Excellent and Poor
By Leo on 05/05/07 09:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Car was an excellent experience until recently, it started to stall in hot weather. After looking in the internet to see if this was unusual I was surprised to see that persons in hot climates, with or without humidity have had major issues with the engine. Mazda seems to have done all it could to fix the issue without having to replace the engine but in some cases the harm done to the engine has been too great and an engine replacement is needed - if you have this issue get to the dealer before the warranty expires or you will be stuck. I now have a new engine at 56K miles and all is well. Aside from the engine issue, the car had been the best I have owned.

GRX8T car
By Voter on 04/13/07 10:03 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Best handling car I've ever driven. Gets lost of looks on the road. Very comfortable to drive for a sports car.

It's a Kick
By RX8tive on 04/04/07 15:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Mazda RX-8 is nothing but fun, capable of putting a smile on your face in 5.7 seconds. Excellent balance, redlines at 9K, great wrap around bucket seats. Goes through tires quickly, too small for a married man with kids (me), trunk space with spare tire installed is a joke... shouldn't be called a trunk.

Excellent Value and head turning appleal
By leotol on 02/13/07 13:42 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Best car I have owned with regard to from the showroom quality. It handles very precisely and its turning radius is very small. I have taken it on long 400+ mile trips and found the car comfortable and well equipped to be fast and safe. I have an automatic, the manual shifting through the transmission is fun; am glad that I don't have to deal with manual shifting all of the time in traffic. Gas mileage is low, but expected. My dealer made a point of advising regarding warming the car up before turning off and keeping the oil level topped off, doing this is a must. One time forgot to warm it to operating temperature; it stalled & had to be towed, it was warranty fix.