Used 2004 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews - 586 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Awesome car
By RX8=Awesome

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought my '04 RX8 in Feb of 2009 with 33k miles on it. It's now almost Nov 2009 with 41k on it. This car has been absolutely amazing (despite gas mileage). The rotary engine is a very high maintenance though, I was told by a Rotary Specialist, to let my car warm up to where it is idling at 1k rpm, and let it idle for 15-30 seconds before shutting it off (of course never shut the car off when its cold), and I have not had one single issue. The handling is great, I got a K&N short ram cold air intake which makes the biggest difference, so much louder then stock, you would be surprised. Got an extended warranty til 2014 (highly recommend that). This car is great if you maintain it properly.

Comfortable, the looks (Exterior and Interior), Smooth ride, handling, heated seats, 4dr coupe.

Gas mileage, some rattling at high rpm, condensation in tail lights (had to re-seal them myself). More power in low rpm.

Never again
By never again

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I, like others, purchased this car because of its sleek look. It started with problems with the engine which the dealership wanted to replace. Unfortunately Mazda, the corporation ,decided it was my fault that the engine was faulty and declined all repairs. Even though, I have had all maintenance repairs(oil change, tune ups, etc) done at the mazda service center ever since I purchased the vehicle. The sad part is that the car is still under warranty and they would not honor the warranty. I even got a call from thier rep. who told me they would not honor the warranty. When asked if he could put this in writing he declined. To anyone who is thinking about buying this car..One word..DON'T.

It actually started without giving me any problems and it never rode hot..but isn't that what a car is supposed to do. I guess you can see where my expectations are for this vehicle. Not very high.

I wish that the Mazda corporation would just honor the warranty that they committed to when they built the vehicle. You know this engine has major flaws yet you choose not to correct them. My only suggestion would be DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!!!!!

love to hate it
By steven30x

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought my rx-8 in April 09 with 27k. It is now Sept. 09 and i have 34k. I got a great deal on the car and loved the first 2 months i had it. Recently the airbag light came on for 2 weeks and then just shut off. A few days later and a month after an oil change it ran out of oil because the warning light never came on. Now every time i drive it it smells like burning oil, and mazda has no answers to these problems. The brakes squeak horribly and still squeaked after replacement. Heat from the cupholder area is ridiculous,and everything rattles. The stereo for a bose is awful, but the car looks awesome and if u get the clutch perfect in first it will take off pretty fast. Keep it or sell it?

Speed,looks,def handling,the attention,and the sound of the engine at a high rpm.

Better heat insulation, u turn on the a/c and cant feel it because the heat around the cup holder area is way hot, reliability, build quality. hopefully the 2010 is better. But i will never buy another to find out.

3 Year Owner with 80K miles
By ckrx8

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I've owned my RX8 for 3 years now. I'm a rotary enthusiast, owned RX7's and work on RX's of all sorts. First off, this car is an amazing machine as far as handling and value for a very affordable price. However, before you buy make sure you know what you're getting into. Like most rotaries, this car is temperamental, it WILL be high maintenance and its important you know that. Acceleration is good for a stock car but modding this car with simple bolt ons will do NOTHING. Major dollars are involved if you want to go faster. Overall, I'm a very happy owner, I plan to keep this car when its paid off and turn it into a track car.

Great looks, awesome interior, turns heads everywhere.

32K car, no auto climate control? Even the speed3 has that! Not a fan of the altezza looking tail lamps. Side port Renesis motor makes for carbon build up issues (2006 engine recall), return to the bottom mounted exhaust ports for reliability purposes.

Great Car for Most Purposes
By Stonejaw

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The RX8 is very fun to drive! Great road feel and superb handling. If you want to drive this car where there is snow - get dedicated snow tires! This is not a 4x4 (that are all in the ditch because they start well but don't stop any better) but I regress. With the Potenza's that come with the car RE040(very noisy and rough riding) forget about driving in the winter. However, put some Pirelli Wintersport 210's on and have fun! I have taken it skiing in Colorado numerous times including blizzard conditions and heavy snow and it came through just fine. Also since the tires are an integral suspension component treat yourself to some Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions - will get you home.

Styling, frequent positive comments even 6 years later! Great interior and backseat that works well up to about 5'6". Large enough trunk for portable soccer goals and a dozen #5 balls. Let's see you do that in any other true sports car! Handling is fantastic and ride pretty good,keep pressure 30- 32.

Low rpm power is lacking. The cure is to rev to 3,500 - 4,000 at takeoff and you will have a smile on your face everytime. Gas mileage 16 in town and 23-24 at 80 mph (with a heavy foot most of the time). Reliability and body integrity have been great for me. Had problems with leaky tailight assembly