Used 2004 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Best Car Ever Owned
By NEWireless

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

After 10 years of driving "sport sedans" (BMW 533i, Audi 100, Audi A6) this car is a remarkable improvement in fun and handling while maintaining the ability to travel comfortably and conveniently with my children. Love the look, feel, and driving experience. Car pulls strong and smooth right up to the red-line. The Renesis engine is amazing. With the right snow tires, this car is proving to be a great year-round driver here in Boston, MA

Overall styling, "Freestyle" doors.

Cooks RX 8
By Jim Cook

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I had an 1978 RX-7. This car shares only the RX. It's an awesome vehicle.

Everyting especially the looks. Very distinctive.

Better rear view A tad more storage in the cabin. Bins in the dashboard. Take out the ash tray.

If you LOVE driving you will LOVE the 8
By Bungle

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The rotary engine is INCREDIBLY smooth. Acceleration is linear and power builds quickly as you climb the tach. This thing loves to rev all the way to 9,000 RPM!!! Gas mileage sucks! I average 17 - 18 MPG and thats 50/50 highway and city driving. As a daily driver the comfort is top notch and the ergonomics are well thought out. The handling of this car is absolutely NUTS...the best I have ever driven. Excellent in traffic and twisties. The RX-8 is a driving enthusiasts wet dream...you won't own the drag strip but when you consider the car as total package and then look at the price you just can't beat it.

Beefy fender flares and nice fat wheels and tires Handling Ergonomics Interior lighting of controls and gauge cluster Usable back seat Acceleration Tight Gearbox (Short throw)

Gas Mileage HP Increase via Turbo option Auto up and down for all windows Automatic climate control (available in Canada but not US?!)

Jury's Still Out
By RX-8gr8!

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love my RX-8 -- after 30 yrs of kid- hauling minivans and station wagons, it's pure joy. Two concerns -- recalls and using oil. Two recall notices already -- of course it's a new vehicle and the dealer handled the problem quickly. The other concern I have is that the car seems to use oil. The dealer is documenting this problem in case we have to make some kind of claim ... on two road trips, the "check engine" light came on, and the oil was slightly low. This is a big concern to me, and one that I haven't seen addressed anywhere else. I love the car, but I want it to be solid for the long haul, so I'm going to wait and see.

Definitely the back seats ... such a nice touch for a sports car.

Dash lights up when key is turned; sometimes you think your headlights are on when you start driving. Tiny green icon indicates when headlights are on, but when dash lights up, I forget about it.

Just get one!
By RotoZoom

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Bought it for the Zoom Zoom factor and got a bonus. Normally when taking a long drive for a couple hours I get back pain, pain in the left hip and legs. This is due to some medical conditions that I cannot change. The second day I had the car, my son and I took it for a short spin in the country. After about 6 hours and 450 miles we returned. When I got out of the car, I felt like I had just gone around the corner, no pain! Get the GT package for the seats if nothing else. Seating is not bad in the back either. I had a couple of friends that are 6'1" in the back the other day with no complaints. More room than my RX4.

The zoom zoom is there and it will do the 148 that Mazda claims almost effortlessly. Drop from 6th to 4th at 70 and 2 seconds later, you will see 3 digits on the speedo. Shifting at 8500 from 1st to 2nd gives a nice chirp at 40 and then from 2nd to 3rd at 8500 will do the same at 74.

A turbo would make it really scream.

• SUV