Used 2004 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Jury's Still Out
By RX-8gr8!

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love my RX-8 -- after 30 yrs of kid- hauling minivans and station wagons, it's pure joy. Two concerns -- recalls and using oil. Two recall notices already -- of course it's a new vehicle and the dealer handled the problem quickly. The other concern I have is that the car seems to use oil. The dealer is documenting this problem in case we have to make some kind of claim ... on two road trips, the "check engine" light came on, and the oil was slightly low. This is a big concern to me, and one that I haven't seen addressed anywhere else. I love the car, but I want it to be solid for the long haul, so I'm going to wait and see.

Favorite Features

Definitely the back seats ... such a nice touch for a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

Dash lights up when key is turned; sometimes you think your headlights are on when you start driving. Tiny green icon indicates when headlights are on, but when dash lights up, I forget about it.

Just get one!
By RotoZoom

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Bought it for the Zoom Zoom factor and got a bonus. Normally when taking a long drive for a couple hours I get back pain, pain in the left hip and legs. This is due to some medical conditions that I cannot change. The second day I had the car, my son and I took it for a short spin in the country. After about 6 hours and 450 miles we returned. When I got out of the car, I felt like I had just gone around the corner, no pain! Get the GT package for the seats if nothing else. Seating is not bad in the back either. I had a couple of friends that are 6'1" in the back the other day with no complaints. More room than my RX4.

Favorite Features

The zoom zoom is there and it will do the 148 that Mazda claims almost effortlessly. Drop from 6th to 4th at 70 and 2 seconds later, you will see 3 digits on the speedo. Shifting at 8500 from 1st to 2nd gives a nice chirp at 40 and then from 2nd to 3rd at 8500 will do the same at 74.

Suggested Improvements

A turbo would make it really scream.

A New Generation
By JTMauney

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This review is based upon 1,000 miles of ownership. The RX-8 is, quite simply, the best performance automobile I've ever driven. The handling is nothing short of superb. It drives like a race car, and once you learn to deal with the unique power curve of the rotary engine, produces a speed-thrill every time you crank it up. It is very comparable to European exotics that cost a great deal more money, and at an average US$30K price point, it's the greatest enthusiast car bargain ever sold. Go test drive one right now; you will not be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Incredible performance/cost ratio and a "fun-factor" that is off the scale. Interior materials and workmanship are far above its price point.

Suggested Improvements

A heads-up display for tach and speedo. You need to keep your eyes on the road with this car.

Rx8 Rox
By Joshua Beers

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

FUN, FUN, FUN and more FUN!!! The rx8 although pretty pricy when at the gas station is well worth the fill up. You will find yourself filling the car up all the time because it's so fun to drive. If you have the $$$ or even if you don't you should def. get yourself into one of these. Take it for some turn and hear that rotary rev. (even w/ 4 heads in the car) Awesome ride, awesome design & a great all around car. RX8 OWNER

Favorite Features

ROTARY SOUND, INTERIOR DEISGN, 18" WHEELS, STEERING WHEEL, COCKPIT LIKE DESING --- and many more!!!

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Economy or Gas Prices

Fool Mileage
By dchurricane

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Awesome driving experience. Constant acceleration through all gears. But I feel slighted by Ford by advertising 18- 24 miles per gallon. I have yet to get more than 14 and my commute is solely highway. Supposedly this will improve in time, but I doubt I will ever see 24 mpg. The interior is well designed, aesthetically speaking, but the materials are cheap and the door panels are easily marked. Acceleration off the line is a bit weak.

Favorite Features

Acceleration from 50-70 mph. Handling. Four seats (I have a child).

Suggested Improvements

Fuel eeficiency, different interior materials.