Used 2004 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Nothing but problems
By MBates1969

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Everything from not wanting to start on days at 50 degrees to starter problems. Cd player crapped out, brake sensors, air bag sensors, you name it. My girlfriend's is currently sitting in the driveway with a failed starter. I guess the way you have to crank these cars to get them started really takes it toll on the part. When it drives, it's great, but it just has way too many problems. Not worth the aggravation, in my humble opinion.

It handles great and has a nice amount of torque.

More durable parts that experience daily wear and tear. Fix the mild weather starting issues.

Complete garbage
By efwilson4

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I bought this car and saw where Mazda of North America warrantied the engine until 100,000. Well they lied. Mazda admitted to utilizing a loop hole to deny engine replacement. This car is garbage and Mazda will do anything but stand behind it. They charged me $1,100 dollars to replace coils, wires, plugs, decarbon the engine before saying I needed a new engine. The car runs worse than when I took it in. This my 4th rotary car and my last. I recommend something else. DO NOT BUY! Just search warm start or low compression.

exterior styling, handling, and its a blast to drive until the engine dies.

Stand behind your product as you said you would.

Super fine and super fun
By aquab1

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I think 2004 was the only year for "mellow yellow" love the color. The exterior design is sleek, confident, gorgeous. The interior fits perfectly--I'm 5'10", much taller wouldn't work. The gas mileage isn't THAT bad--I average 18 and get 22 on the highway. Driving something that's this much fun. I actually think, "This car is awesome" almost every time I drive it--is worth a few extra mpg. Flooded it once, my bad. No significant repairs in 5 years. Everything original 2004 except tires and breaks. The rotary engine sings like a jet engine all the way up to 8500 rpm. The RX-8 is super fine and super fun. Handling in rain is bad and in snow is downright hazardous.

Cornering, sound of engine, seat comfort, headlight beam coverage, shifting

Turbo, convertible, gas mileage, bigger gas tank, traction in rain and snow.

Fun to drive!
By John Martiw

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I had it for more then 2 years now, and I still love the car. It's fun to drive and corning just amazing. Acceleration is decent but not the best. I drive a automatic which only has 200 hp compare to manual which has about 240.

Power Steering on this car is amazing! Its not too loose or to Tight. It's perfect! Stays the same no matter how slow or fast your going. Oh to top it off, the steering wheel is beautiful.

My 04 keeps showing check engine oil light even when i have oil. Also, the idle makes the car vibrate. Also, the brakes are squeaky when backing up, but to make it up, they do a nice job stopping the car.

Luckily strike
By Patrick

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought the car with 25,000 miles and I now have 82,000. I have read a lot of reviews of people who have problem with these cars. When I bought mine, most of the recall issues were already addressed. Whenever I did have a re- call issue ( side air bag light, condensation in the tail lights ) the dealership took the car in and gave me a rental car at no charge. The dealer was always professional. Other than that I have never had any issues ( knock on wood) with reliability of the car. I live in New Hampshire and the car started up one morning when the outside air temp was -4. It has always started and drove without any problems. The car its self is great.

Navigation System, Ability to turn off the traction control,Bose System, Full size back seats, able to let people out of rear seat with out getting out my self.

More power, better gas mileage.

• SUV