2004 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Mini Van...Who Needs One
By BV04RX8 on 05/04/09 12:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Lots of choices out there to haul your family but not many that gives you the fun and accessibility of the RX8. I have tried putting a baby seat in Audi TT's, RSX's, BMW 330 coupe's and none seem to work as well and as easy as the RX8. The trunk is a bit small for a stroller but it works. Plus, you can get several golf bags back there. The drive is really comfortable. It takes on bumps really well and can really hug the curves. If you see one used and you are thinking about buying it, check out the MazdaSpeed body kit as a add on. Makes a huge difference in the presence of your car and stands out among other cars. Really sharp. The only thing I would say is get one with low miles.

Runs like Crap
By PureCarnage on 04/01/09 14:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. I tell everyone I meet who admire its looks- all show, no go. It has been in the shop so many times I can't count. The last straw being the dealership waiting for the warranty to expire and then telling me I need a new engine. Something I told them for 2 years prior. No power, even as new. Bad tranny to engine hook-up, makes a horrible noise if you stomp on it. Rattles coming from everywhere. I see numerous defects that are common for all owners and no recalls for them. You have to complain for service. Never buy a Mazda again.

Rotor head; GT 6mt
By timqua on 01/23/09 17:16 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought this car January 2005, getting a 2004 model which saved me 1k. It is a joy to drive based on shifting, cornering, speed at mid to high range RPMs, responsiveness and agility. Gas mileage is poor and range is sad. I filled the 15 gallon tank about every 1.5 weeks, until I parked it and use it only for joyrides. I replace about 1/8 quart of oil every other tank fill-up. Engine flashes were all performed without difficulty, I experience rough idling and occasionally idles to a stop if not allowed to warm well before driving. A rear taillight was replaced for condensation. I've had zero mechanical or engine problems in 4 years. Truly a joy to drive.

Motor to rotor
By motor2rotor on 01/05/09 19:04 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Like a lot of other people, I was afraid of the rotary. It is so much different than anything on the road. That difference is what scared me, but that was till I drove one. I fell in love with this car in the first minute behind the wheel. It does have some dos and don'ts but what car doesn't. A pure sports car at this price is almost to good to be true. It is a high maintenance car so if you want to race stop light to stop light go buy a Honda! If you want a perfectly balanced extension of your thoughts to the road buy a RX8!

Hot Ride
By MartyH. on 12/07/08 07:47 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I got this car as used one w/ 33k on his back. But it was worth it. First impression wasn't that good about accelerations, but as I learned about rotary engine, that was pretty standard for auto/manual transmission. Which I choose for comfort and pedal shifters kinda looking like in most expensive sports cars. Fact is that fuel economy is that what you expect from sports car... you have to take the power somewhere if you have 1300cc in ultra light sexy looking racer with handling of formule1. I am looking forward for new RX9 in future, for now I may just get newer version w/ six speed transmission.

BAD NEWS DO NOT BUY
By Sarah on 09/17/08 10:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Bought this gorgeous car new. At 20,000 miles it had been in the shop over 30x. At 30,000 miles and a new engine later they still could not resolve the problems going on with it. Yes it is a beautiful car and until this day I still think that there isn't another car looks as sharp but unless you don't care to pay out big bucks and never drive it I wouldn't recommend it. I do drive my cars I buy them to drive them not keep in the garage but I would still think at 30,000 miles a car should still have a lot of good usage left. Needless to say 20 grand in the whole I had to get rid of it because I need a dependable car.

Fun little car, not too Reliable
By Brazuka on 09/16/08 13:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I purchased this car in 2006 with only 11K miles on it. It is loaded including navigation. Overall I love the car, the way it looks, and particularly the way it handles. Throughout its life I noticed a steady decrease in power, and in gas mileage. Complaint about it several times to Mazda with no fix. The doors also rattle quite a bit after you have it for about 40k. The car now has 67K miles, it is at the dealership for a new engine; and somehow I am still responsible for the "bad" O2 sensor which probably was damaged by the overwhelm amount of gas going thru the cat converter. I also had to replace the clutch at 62k.

Reliable Fun
By Irfan on 09/09/08 20:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I had this car for a 4 year lease and didn't have any major issues with it. It was pretty rock solid, I didn't have a major issue with anything really. It did have its quirks and things that irritated me but nothing that left me stranded. I wish it had more power, but on the twisties it was outstanding. The interior styling won it over for me over the g35 at the time. The g35 had more power but just felt bulky and heavy compared to the lightweight agility the RX-8 offered. I always felt I could toss it around and maintain full control. Most of issues I had have been fixed for the 09 year as listed below. Mazda must have really listened because nearly EVERY quirk has been addressed.

Zoom-Zoom Needs a Turbo
By NAZGUL on 08/06/08 20:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I'm a 37 male, I'd have to say I love all the attention I get with my RX-8. I have Mazdaspeed aftermarket parts along with Sportmax 502 Rims and a Soundstream amp and sub, and finally a MIO510 Roadmate G.P.S. I get looks from kids, chicks, and unfortunately the local 5-0 and state troopers. Heck I got pulled over just to have my tint inspected by one! When I get the car paid off I plan on putting a Greddy Turbo and upgrade the brakes. I hate that an ugly Dodge Neon SRT-4 can outsprint my lovely RX-8 but someday - Watch out! LOL

Fun Car
By Flute on 06/22/08 11:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car has excellent and fun driveability. Great pick-up and passing speed. Paddle shifter availablility. Most fun car I've ever had the pleasure to own and drive.