Used 2004 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda RX-8

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Fun to drive!
By John Martiw

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I had it for more then 2 years now, and I still love the car. It's fun to drive and corning just amazing. Acceleration is decent but not the best. I drive a automatic which only has 200 hp compare to manual which has about 240.

Favorite Features

Power Steering on this car is amazing! Its not too loose or to Tight. It's perfect! Stays the same no matter how slow or fast your going. Oh to top it off, the steering wheel is beautiful.

Suggested Improvements

My 04 keeps showing check engine oil light even when i have oil. Also, the idle makes the car vibrate. Also, the brakes are squeaky when backing up, but to make it up, they do a nice job stopping the car.

Luckily strike
By Patrick

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought the car with 25,000 miles and I now have 82,000. I have read a lot of reviews of people who have problem with these cars. When I bought mine, most of the recall issues were already addressed. Whenever I did have a re- call issue ( side air bag light, condensation in the tail lights ) the dealership took the car in and gave me a rental car at no charge. The dealer was always professional. Other than that I have never had any issues ( knock on wood) with reliability of the car. I live in New Hampshire and the car started up one morning when the outside air temp was -4. It has always started and drove without any problems. The car its self is great.

Favorite Features

Navigation System, Ability to turn off the traction control,Bose System, Full size back seats, able to let people out of rear seat with out getting out my self.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better gas mileage.

For anyone who has one
By Jbern

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The rotary engines are not made for light footed people. Your engines break down because there is not enough tension on the engine. I needs to be pushed, not pulled. Press the gas more and you'll be saving hella money on repairs, though not in gas, but it makes up for it. Beats replacing the engine twice a year. Bottom line, this car isn't just made to look cool, its also meant to be driven hard.

Favorite Features

Design, love the headlight design, gives it a mean look. The engine note turns heads. keep it clean and you'll be breaking necks.

Suggested Improvements

Fix all the rattling parts, only flaw.

Worst car ever
By Seriouscoin

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Not a fan! The only thing I liked was the look, and getting on the gas around 5k RPM. Tons of problems later!!

Favorite Features

Handling, power band, looks

Suggested Improvements

Worst quality ever! REPLACED- motor (after %750 of unneccesary "fixes"), clutch bracket %580, sun visor, middle console door, water in tailights (fix from dealer was to drill holes!). Gas mileage was horrible. Cannot drive in the snow at all. HATED THIS CAR. Don not buy!

I love this car.
By fumarola

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I'm an 18 year old that just graduated high school, and i'm in the military. I purchased this car loving it at first sight. I got it for a great deal. Yes i paid for it, its in my name not my parents. I get about 24-25 highway 18-20 city. I shift between 3-4 but i heard its good to be hard once in awhile so ill take it up to 6-7.Premium gas (93 octane) always. Also good to rev to 3 before shutting down. Also i warm it up for 1-2 mins and hold it at 3 for 5 seconds. Its a great car, lots of fun.

Favorite Features

Interior, looks, handling, just love everything.

Suggested Improvements

MPG, and maybe tire pressure gauge would be nice, and also takes awhile to heat up.