2004 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Run Far Far Away...
By gregtheowner on 09/27/12 15:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I bought my 2004 Mazda RX8 in 2004 - brand new with 4 miles on it. I treated this car like royalty: and it didn't matter. Engine was replaced at 20k for warranty - THEN the engine failed again just 2k outside of warranty - I paid $7,000 for repairs; The spark plugs cost $100 a piece, Tires are $200. MUST have premium gas (At premium prices) and MPG is horrible. $5 in gas won't get you out of your neighborhood. Now -2012 - I finally got rid of it. PROBLEMS from day one til the last day. Car shuts off at red lights, when its too cold, and when its too hot. MUST warm-up engine for 15 min. before driving anywhere - I can go on for days but my space here is limited. DO NOT BUY a 2004 Mazda RX8

beautiful crap
By mika11 on 01/10/12 19:01 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

This I feel is the most sexy looking car on the road BUT.....I put 3 starters in it in 2 years,the visors both split down the middle,various plastic parts broke without reason. I treat my cars like babies.Also,it's true....if you are only driving 2 blocks and shut the car off,it won't restart. Trust me....buy an eclipse instead.

ZOOM, ZOOM, DOOM!!
By norx84me on 01/16/11 13:46 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

Thinking of buying this car? I'm stranded AGAIN after losing power on a major interstate & having to drift to a stop on the shoulder. I knew what was wrong because I'd been through this before: the "glass bottles" sound rattling under the hood, the jerky take-off & the oil light that just couldn't be corrected. Yes...once again, the rotary engine was dead. This is the THIRD ENGINE IN 1.5 YEARS!!!! Engines are on back order from MAZDA til February, '11. Wanna hear the real horror? I traded my HONDA for this terrible piece of machinery!! Will I ever forgive my bad judgement in buying this car? With all the GREAT alternatives out there, why would you consider Mazda? Take it from me, DON'T!!

Complete garbage
By efwilson4 on 07/16/10 14:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I bought this car and saw where Mazda of North America warrantied the engine until 100,000. Well they lied. Mazda admitted to utilizing a loop hole to deny engine replacement. This car is garbage and Mazda will do anything but stand behind it. They charged me $1,100 dollars to replace coils, wires, plugs, decarbon the engine before saying I needed a new engine. The car runs worse than when I took it in. This my 4th rotary car and my last. I recommend something else. DO NOT BUY! Just search warm start or low compression.

Fun to drive!
By John Martiw on 05/25/10 00:29 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I had it for more then 2 years now, and I still love the car. It's fun to drive and corning just amazing. Acceleration is decent but not the best. I drive a automatic which only has 200 hp compare to manual which has about 240.

Best Car I Ever Had!
By Rotaryboi4ever on 11/05/09 13:51 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I bought my RX-8 this past July and I really love it! Being a mechanic, I think that the rotary is way more reliable than a piston engine. The gas mileage kinda hurts, but it's worth it to me. Only problem I had with it was the A/C amplifier going bad, but it was an easy fix. Out of all the cars I have owned, this is the best one ever! The 8 is definitely my favorite one to drive, and I always admire other ones I see on the road.

RX-8 Fan
By Zman on 04/26/05 12:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

This is the best car I have ever owned and that covers a lot. Every time I drive it I get a smile on my face. It has performed well on long and short trips. It is a rotary, so there are the normal maintanence issues and lower mileage than I would like. But I knew that when I bought it and I am already planning my next RX-8 purchase in a couple years. I recommend that you do not test drive this car unless you are ready to buy one, because you will want it!

Fun vehicle
By ED STRINGER on 03/23/05 08:15 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

This vehicle was purchased as a "just for fun" vehicle for me and my wife. I was an owner of the old rx-7 back in the late 70's early 80's. This car is all you would want from a "fun car." It is not an economical car. It requires high octane gas, regular oil checks, and expensive tires. It drives and handles just as you would expect a sports car to drive and handle. It has a six speed transmission that adds fun and power to the rotary engine. This is a wonderful vehicle.

RX8 Review
By Keith Bertolino on 03/18/05 13:59 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

Excellent car, well built, fun to drive, and beats out any car's handling for the price range. Crash tests show outstanding ratings, and the 2 door looking, 4 door design is innovative. Power is great in the high RPM band, but the automatic is a little slower that I would have liked, however this 1.3 ltr. has more pull than my 3.8 ltr. V6 Mustang.

No regrets
By mikgal0 on 03/14/05 19:52 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I'm always a little wary of buying the first model year of car but I'm over 11,000 miles with not the first problem. Excellent handling and ride with good acceleration thta could use a little more torque in the lower RPMs of first gear. A little thirsty for gas especially if driven fast. I tend to average about 19 MPG. I love the short throw gearbox and tight steering. A really fun car to drive.