Used 2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic Consumer Reviews - 121 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda RX-8

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

How to Make A Rotary Last, and Last, and Last!
By Gary Itano

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

My '04 RX-8 (after 5 RX-7s, since '84) just turned 143K original miles with the last 60+K as track-only, since being replaced in '06 with a Prius daily driver. So, rotary reliability is entirely dependent on NEVER bogging the engine (detonation breaks the rotor seals in an instant) and routinely redlining the motor to minimize carbon build-up. Other than routine maintenance and strictly maintaining fluid levels, that's all one needs to know about keeping a rotary healthy. Looking forward to seeing a 1.6L with improved torque and direct injection for better mileage and emissions.

Btw, be sure to look up the maintenance sheet that guarantees FREE LIFETIME REPLACEMENT BRAKE PADS (at least for the 1st gen RX-8s), as the pads last for about 4-6 track days (front brake rotors lasted to 130K after 40K of extreme "use"). It turns out that the RX-8 brake rotor/pad chemistries are ideally engineered for optimum braking, fade resistance and durability, so no need to seek after-market solutions. Oh, and be sure, if at the track, to turn DSC off, to gain another 5+% better braking and 3% acceleration (absolute necessity when entering Laguna Seca turns 2 & 11 or Auto Club Roval turn 3!).

WOW! Mmmm...
By scooterluv1

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I've owned 4 RX-7s (2nd/3rd generations) and loved them all! So I decided to give the 2004 RX-8 a try; big mistake... Love the look/speed/dynamics of the car, but the reliability was awful! It should never be someone's primary source of transportation.

Love all the dynamics of the the car (looks/speed (performance)/styling/etc.)...

It was in the repair shop almost as much as in my garage. It was a rotten "Lemon", that made bitter, bitter lemonade... I owned it for less than a year.

Run Far Far Away...
By gregtheowner

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I bought my 2004 Mazda RX8 in 2004 - brand new with 4 miles on it.
I treated this car like royalty: and it didn't matter.
Engine was replaced at 20k for warranty - THEN the engine failed again just 2k outside of warranty - I paid $7,000 for repairs; The spark plugs cost $100 a piece, Tires are $200.
MUST have premium gas (At premium prices) and MPG is horrible. $5 in gas won't get you out of your neighborhood. Now -2012 - I finally got rid of it. PROBLEMS from day one til the last day. Car shuts off at red lights, when its too cold, and when its too hot. MUST warm-up engine for 15 min. before driving anywhere - I can go on for days but my space here is limited.
DO NOT BUY a 2004 Mazda RX8

The car LOOKS great - but that is all. JUNK...

I'd say that Mazda should stop making them, but they have now. They actually expired the recalls on the engines shortly after acknowledging, because EVERYBODY was having their engines replaced $$$. I will NEVER buy a Mazda again. And I won't let my children ever buy a Mazda either. No reliability - and WILL leave you and your kids stranded on the highway. COMPLETE LEMON.

beautiful crap
By mika11

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

This I feel is the most sexy looking car on the road BUT.....I put 3 starters in it in 2 years,the visors both split down the middle,various plastic parts broke without reason. I treat my cars like babies.Also,it's true....if you are only driving 2 blocks and shut the car off,it won't restart. Trust me....buy an eclipse instead.

ZOOM, ZOOM, DOOM!!
By norx84me

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

Thinking of buying this car? I'm stranded AGAIN after losing power on a major interstate & having to drift to a stop on the shoulder. I knew what was wrong because I'd been through this before: the "glass bottles" sound rattling under the hood, the jerky take-off & the oil light that just couldn't be corrected. Yes...once again, the rotary engine was dead. This is the THIRD ENGINE IN
1.5 YEARS!!!! Engines are on back order from MAZDA til February, '11. Wanna hear the real horror? I traded my HONDA for this terrible piece of machinery!! Will I ever forgive my bad judgement in buying this car? With all the GREAT alternatives out there, why would you consider Mazda? Take it from me, DON'T!!