Used 2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Run Far Far Away...
By gregtheowner

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I bought my 2004 Mazda RX8 in 2004 - brand new with 4 miles on it. I treated this car like royalty: and it didn't matter. Engine was replaced at 20k for warranty - THEN the engine failed again just 2k outside of warranty - I paid $7,000 for repairs; The spark plugs cost $100 a piece, Tires are $200. MUST have premium gas (At premium prices) and MPG is horrible. $5 in gas won't get you out of your neighborhood. Now -2012 - I finally got rid of it. PROBLEMS from day one til the last day. Car shuts off at red lights, when its too cold, and when its too hot. MUST warm-up engine for 15 min. before driving anywhere - I can go on for days but my space here is limited. DO NOT BUY a 2004 Mazda RX8

Favorite Features

The car LOOKS great - but that is all. JUNK...

Suggested Improvements

I'd say that Mazda should stop making them, but they have now. They actually expired the recalls on the engines shortly after acknowledging, because EVERYBODY was having their engines replaced $$$. I will NEVER buy a Mazda again. And I won't let my children ever buy a Mazda either. No reliability - and WILL leave you and your kids stranded on the highway. COMPLETE LEMON.

beautiful crap
By mika11

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

This I feel is the most sexy looking car on the road BUT.....I put 3 starters in it in 2 years,the visors both split down the middle,various plastic parts broke without reason. I treat my cars like babies.Also,it's true....if you are only driving 2 blocks and shut the car off,it won't restart. Trust me....buy an eclipse instead.

ZOOM, ZOOM, DOOM!!
By norx84me

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

Thinking of buying this car? I'm stranded AGAIN after losing power on a major interstate & having to drift to a stop on the shoulder. I knew what was wrong because I'd been through this before: the "glass bottles" sound rattling under the hood, the jerky take-off & the oil light that just couldn't be corrected. Yes...once again, the rotary engine was dead. This is the THIRD ENGINE IN 1.5 YEARS!!!! Engines are on back order from MAZDA til February, '11. Wanna hear the real horror? I traded my HONDA for this terrible piece of machinery!! Will I ever forgive my bad judgement in buying this car? With all the GREAT alternatives out there, why would you consider Mazda? Take it from me, DON'T!!

Complete garbage
By efwilson4

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I bought this car and saw where Mazda of North America warrantied the engine until 100,000. Well they lied. Mazda admitted to utilizing a loop hole to deny engine replacement. This car is garbage and Mazda will do anything but stand behind it. They charged me $1,100 dollars to replace coils, wires, plugs, decarbon the engine before saying I needed a new engine. The car runs worse than when I took it in. This my 4th rotary car and my last. I recommend something else. DO NOT BUY! Just search warm start or low compression.

Favorite Features

exterior styling, handling, and its a blast to drive until the engine dies.

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your product as you said you would.

Fun to drive!
By John Martiw

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I had it for more then 2 years now, and I still love the car. It's fun to drive and corning just amazing. Acceleration is decent but not the best. I drive a automatic which only has 200 hp compare to manual which has about 240.

Favorite Features

Power Steering on this car is amazing! Its not too loose or to Tight. It's perfect! Stays the same no matter how slow or fast your going. Oh to top it off, the steering wheel is beautiful.

Suggested Improvements

My 04 keeps showing check engine oil light even when i have oil. Also, the idle makes the car vibrate. Also, the brakes are squeaky when backing up, but to make it up, they do a nice job stopping the car.