Used 2004 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews - 586 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

How to Make A Rotary Last, and Last, and Last!
By Gary Itano

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

My '04 RX-8 (after 5 RX-7s, since '84) just turned 143K original miles with the last 60+K as track-only, since being replaced in '06 with a Prius daily driver. So, rotary reliability is entirely dependent on NEVER bogging the engine (detonation breaks the rotor seals in an instant) and routinely redlining the motor to minimize carbon build-up. Other than routine maintenance and strictly maintaining fluid levels, that's all one needs to know about keeping a rotary healthy. Looking forward to seeing a 1.6L with improved torque and direct injection for better mileage and emissions.

Btw, be sure to look up the maintenance sheet that guarantees FREE LIFETIME REPLACEMENT BRAKE PADS (at least for the 1st gen RX-8s), as the pads last for about 4-6 track days (front brake rotors lasted to 130K after 40K of extreme "use"). It turns out that the RX-8 brake rotor/pad chemistries are ideally engineered for optimum braking, fade resistance and durability, so no need to seek after-market solutions. Oh, and be sure, if at the track, to turn DSC off, to gain another 5+% better braking and 3% acceleration (absolute necessity when entering Laguna Seca turns 2 & 11 or Auto Club Roval turn 3!).

Not for grandma's????
By Lori Trainer

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have seen many posts by men. I'm assuming younger than me that have mentioned "this is not your grandma's car", or "not your girlfriend's car". Well, for all you men out there......... I am a 54 yr. Old grandma of seven. I own the rx 8, not my husband. I red-line it and drive it like it should be driven. My husband complains because I take corners fast. I lovr my car. It is the best handling car I've owned. It has had some issues. Having this car is worth it though. So quit being chauvinists when it comes to sports cars. I have even put some men in there place who wanted to take me on!

WOW! Mmmm...
By scooterluv1

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I've owned 4 RX-7s (2nd/3rd generations) and loved them all! So I decided to give the 2004 RX-8 a try; big mistake... Love the look/speed/dynamics of the car, but the reliability was awful! It should never be someone's primary source of transportation.

Love all the dynamics of the the car (looks/speed (performance)/styling/etc.)...

It was in the repair shop almost as much as in my garage. It was a rotten "Lemon", that made bitter, bitter lemonade... I owned it for less than a year.

Rotary Engine-MAJOR PROBLEMS
By raya4

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought the car on a whim because of how much fun it was to drive without doing much research. After buying the car almost EVERY mechanic I knew told me that I made a terrible choice. These rotary engines in these cars suck. My engine blew at 80k miles and mine lasted longer than most. Buying this car was a waste of money.

Get rid of rotary

Fun to drive
By riqqie

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is great. It is amazing to drive. It grips the road and corners like a dream. It isn't the fastest car from a stop, but it more than makes up once you get moving. If you plan on buying though, do some research. The rotary engine should not be driven like a normal piston engine. It requires high rpms to run correctly. If you try to baby this car, you will have problems (carbon build-up, flooding). The best advice Ive seen about this vehicle is drive it like you stole it. BTW, get the manual transmission, it gives you a lot more horsepower than the automatic version.

Make sure you check that the engine recall was taken care of before you buy and you shouldnt have any problems.

The seats are so comfortable, they really hold you in place. The suicide doors are great for the kids. There are airbags everywhere! This car has a lot of bells and whistles.

The AC is not the best because it goes into a power saving mode at stops.