2004 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Fun to drive
By riqqie on 11/01/12 20:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is great. It is amazing to drive. It grips the road and corners like a dream. It isn't the fastest car from a stop, but it more than makes up once you get moving. If you plan on buying though, do some research. The rotary engine should not be driven like a normal piston engine. It requires high rpms to run correctly. If you try to baby this car, you will have problems (carbon build-up, flooding). The best advice Ive seen about this vehicle is drive it like you stole it. BTW, get the manual transmission, it gives you a lot more horsepower than the automatic version. Make sure you check that the engine recall was taken care of before you buy and you shouldnt have any problems.

Run Far Far Away...
By gregtheowner on 09/27/12 15:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I bought my 2004 Mazda RX8 in 2004 - brand new with 4 miles on it. I treated this car like royalty: and it didn't matter. Engine was replaced at 20k for warranty - THEN the engine failed again just 2k outside of warranty - I paid $7,000 for repairs; The spark plugs cost $100 a piece, Tires are $200. MUST have premium gas (At premium prices) and MPG is horrible. $5 in gas won't get you out of your neighborhood. Now -2012 - I finally got rid of it. PROBLEMS from day one til the last day. Car shuts off at red lights, when its too cold, and when its too hot. MUST warm-up engine for 15 min. before driving anywhere - I can go on for days but my space here is limited. DO NOT BUY a 2004 Mazda RX8

Fair review for the last Rotary
By zero11534 on 05/02/12 01:03 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The RX8 is a true 4 door 4 seat sports cars, what it lacks in low end torque it makes up for in handling. Rotary motor propels the 3100lb RX8 to 60 in 6.0 sec. and a ľ mile in 14.9. Fuel consumption for the RX8 was Avg for when it first came out, 17city/24 Hwy. The cars light weight stiff chassis and electronic steering makes this a point and drive sports car allowing even the novice of sports car owners the ability to get behind the wheel and take the turns like a pro. This car does come at a price requiring you to add oil about ever 4 fill upís. This is a good daily driver for hwy only commuters

Amazingly Expensive
By themare on 02/16/12 20:53 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Bought it used at 76k miles, and had it until 86k miles for only one year. One of the most fun to drive cars, but also one of the most unreliable and expensive cars to own. Spent over 12k in one year in maintenance alone. PROs and CONs are listed in the full review.

beautiful crap
By mika11 on 01/10/12 19:01 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

This I feel is the most sexy looking car on the road BUT.....I put 3 starters in it in 2 years,the visors both split down the middle,various plastic parts broke without reason. I treat my cars like babies.Also,it's true....if you are only driving 2 blocks and shut the car off,it won't restart. Trust me....buy an eclipse instead.

BAD REVIEWS GIVEN BY CLUELESS PEOPLE
By rottenrotary on 12/29/11 12:28 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The rotary is an amazing engine but different from regular piston engines & should be treated w/ that in mind. Many of these bad reviews stem from individuals who havent researched or properly cared for it. There are a few minor issues & if you RESEARCH it you will easily find ways to avoid those- not to mention 10 yr/100k mi warranty on the engine core components is a nice bonus should it be necessary. A rotary engine needs time to warm up. Turning the engine off while its still cold will flood it. There are reviews of people complaining about this but you can easily avoid it by letting it run for a minute or 2 Thanks to researching the RX8 first, I've never had an issue.

True Drivers Car
By zero11534 on 04/06/11 08:12 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The Mazda RX8 is not a car for everyone as it has a 1.3L rotary motor in it. But if you are looking for a well balanced, excellent handling decent accelerating sports car then this is the one for you (although it's not a true SC since it's got 4dr). The best 0-60 I've done is 5.9sec launching at 5k and no roll out on Perli Zero's. The Renie motor more reliable then the 20B was, however do to no forced induction the motor losses a bit of tq and a few hp. But no need to worry as she makes up for it in the corners. This is a true lux sports car for a very well equipped price of 25k with heated seats 6spd man 6disc cd changer and many more options. Drive one just know the limits of the motor.

ZOOM, ZOOM, DOOM!!
By norx84me on 01/16/11 13:46 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

Thinking of buying this car? I'm stranded AGAIN after losing power on a major interstate & having to drift to a stop on the shoulder. I knew what was wrong because I'd been through this before: the "glass bottles" sound rattling under the hood, the jerky take-off & the oil light that just couldn't be corrected. Yes...once again, the rotary engine was dead. This is the THIRD ENGINE IN 1.5 YEARS!!!! Engines are on back order from MAZDA til February, '11. Wanna hear the real horror? I traded my HONDA for this terrible piece of machinery!! Will I ever forgive my bad judgement in buying this car? With all the GREAT alternatives out there, why would you consider Mazda? Take it from me, DON'T!!

Don't buy an rx8 Mazda will not help you
By Lou on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Hello I purchased an 04 rx8 in April 2010 I have 135,000 miles on it now worst investment ever. There are recalls after recalls and if the car has more than 100,000 miles Mazda could care less unlike Toyota who fix their mistakes Mazda won't. Let's start with the airbag recall $1200 to fix Mazda won't fix it for me bad harness, crack in clutch pedal $600 Mazda won't fix it, lower ball joint I replaced roughly $50 Mazda wouldn't. All of these items are recalls. Also lousy fuel to power ratio and extremely high maintenance and cost. Go to a search bar and type Mazda rx8 complaints and recalls pages and pages will come up.

Fast, Practical, and Dignified
By daniel on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I've owned BMW's Audi's, VWs and other exiting cars, and this is one of THE BEST. A coupe with all the practicalities of a sedan without the drawbacks. If you have passion for exciting cars, this is the right for You.