Used 1994 Mazda RX-7 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Mazda Rx-7 - Consumer Reviews

1994 Mazda RX-7 Coupe

Base 1.3L Twin-turbo 5-speed Manual - (12 reviews )

Rx7 - Drivers Dream
By 94Rx7

1994 Mazda RX-7 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

This car made me a car guy. When it works it is pretty near perfect and if you know what you are doing, it can run really well. Make sure you learn how to drive and this car will reward you like anything. Akin in its day to the exige now, it is awe inspiring and fun go-cart. Its styling is still amazing and I still have notes all the time on my car asking to sell it - even with faded paint. This car is about the spirit of driving for sure.

Favorite Features

Cornering. Sweat on the back of my neck on the perfect apex with full on power-on over-steer. telegraphic handling If you know what you are doing 350+ reliable HP is easily within reach...

Suggested Improvements

The build quality was not great. You have to take care to upgrade/replace key components. The finish was just not that of a super-car. If it were, the car would be near-perfect.

For rotorheads only
By Racerx7

1994 Mazda RX-7 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

A poor mans Z06. Great car. But, this car is not for the non-mechanically inclined. Working on it and learning all its quirks is half the fun of owning it.

Favorite Features

With minor mods can easily pump up hp to 300 and with less than 2800# weight it is blazing fast. Handles great. Scary fast.

Suggested Improvements

None. It isn't manufactured anymore.

Race Car But High Maintenance
By johnny

1994 Mazda RX-7 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

To completely sum up the TT Rx7: PURE sports car experience, a lot of TLC. It's rare to find a car this enjoyable, and if you take care of it it will take care of you. I bought mine a little over a year ago with a reman engine, and even though I've spent a ton on reliability parts and other repairs, nothing makes me smile more than hitting the gas in this car. If you got a little money, you're a real car guy and you don't mind learning a little about the car you drive, don't pass up the Rx7.

Favorite Features

Crisp handling, rotary engine, turbos, timeless styling.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing.

Buy a warranty if not racing it
By Good "Sports" Car

1994 Mazda RX-7 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

From the moment I saw the RX-7 I wanted it. It is truly one of the most beautiful designs to ever come out of Japan. I have owned this and the Nissan Twin Turbo 300. While the 300 is overall a better "car", the RX-7 is really more of a true sports car. Good: Styling, smooth engine, looks very expensive, interior well laid- out. Not so good: If you are considering one, and are not planning on putting on an aftermarket turbo, etc., BUY A WARRANTY. I went through three orig equip turbos but luckily had a warranty. You can buy a warranty on this ride for under $2K, and you WILL be glad you did. Other bad: drinks premium fuel like a freshman fraternity pledge at a beer keg. You WILL replace radio.

Favorite Features

Styling, performance, uniqueness, ability to increase performance to awesome levels if you want to spend the money.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, turbo reliability. While I am a pretty slim guy, if you are a little big around the middle or a re a big person in general you will find this car to be uncomfortable. Also, if you have the choice, get the base model with the cloth upholstery - it holds up a lot better than leather.

ROCKET POWER
By craigT

1994 Mazda RX-7 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

This car was the bomb. Great handleing, great performance, beautiful to look at. I found this beauty at a little local dealer and $9000 later drove off with the most powerful car I have ever owned. 215hp and suspension that allowed me to take it around corners over 60 like they weren't even there. Traded it for 99 Saab 93 SE convertable for my wife nine months later. Made $3000. Still kicking myself for that one....

Favorite Features

looks, comfort vs. size, speed. twin turbos. handleing.

Suggested Improvements

tranny was automatic. this could have used some tweeking, was a little sluggish from the stop light.