Used 1994 Mazda RX-7 Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Mazda RX-7 - Consumer Reviews

1994 Mazda RX-7

Base 1.3L Twin-turbo 5-speed Manual - (13 reviews )

Runs like a cheetah! Crack of thunder!
By Lightning thunder

1994 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe

First of all, I am a car guy. I love cars. I drove a Ferrari 430 around the track in las vegas and it was a blast! I just retired and bought a gentlemanly car in the jaguar xj8. I have a completely original rx7 with 59000 miles on it. Nothing else feels like an rx7 that I have ever driven. The twin sequential turbo rotary engine is unique. Smooth as silk. The look of the car is classic and timeless. Out of a little 1.3 liter engine you can get 600+ hp with modifications in a 2800 lb car! My son has the same car as me - 1994 red - I call them the twins - mine is original and his is heavily modified. They are a blast to drive! The cars can be a little tempramental when you start to modify things and expensive and don't know what you are doing. I would sum them up as a little like a rose - beautiful but with thorns.

Rx7 - Drivers Dream
By 94Rx7

1994 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe

This car made me a car guy. When it works it is pretty near perfect and if you know what you are doing, it can run really well. Make sure you learn how to drive and this car will reward you like anything. Akin in its day to the exige now, it is awe inspiring and fun go-cart. Its styling is still amazing and I still have notes all the time on my car asking to sell it - even with faded paint. This car is about the spirit of driving for sure.

Cornering. Sweat on the back of my neck on the perfect apex with full on power-on over-steer. telegraphic handling If you know what you are doing 350+ reliable HP is easily within reach...

The build quality was not great. You have to take care to upgrade/replace key components. The finish was just not that of a super-car. If it were, the car would be near-perfect.

For rotorheads only
By Racerx7

1994 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe

A poor mans Z06. Great car. But, this car is not for the non-mechanically inclined. Working on it and learning all its quirks is half the fun of owning it.

With minor mods can easily pump up hp to 300 and with less than 2800# weight it is blazing fast. Handles great. Scary fast.

None. It isn't manufactured anymore.

Race Car But High Maintenance
By johnny

1994 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe

To completely sum up the TT Rx7: PURE sports car experience, a lot of TLC. It's rare to find a car this enjoyable, and if you take care of it it will take care of you. I bought mine a little over a year ago with a reman engine, and even though I've spent a ton on reliability parts and other repairs, nothing makes me smile more than hitting the gas in this car. If you got a little money, you're a real car guy and you don't mind learning a little about the car you drive, don't pass up the Rx7.

Crisp handling, rotary engine, turbos, timeless styling.

Nothing.

Buy a warranty if not racing it
By Good "Sports" Car

1994 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe

From the moment I saw the RX-7 I wanted it. It is truly one of the most beautiful designs to ever come out of Japan. I have owned this and the Nissan Twin Turbo 300. While the 300 is overall a better "car", the RX-7 is really more of a true sports car. Good: Styling, smooth engine, looks very expensive, interior well laid- out. Not so good: If you are considering one, and are not planning on putting on an aftermarket turbo, etc., BUY A WARRANTY. I went through three orig equip turbos but luckily had a warranty. You can buy a warranty on this ride for under $2K, and you WILL be glad you did. Other bad: drinks premium fuel like a freshman fraternity pledge at a beer keg. You WILL replace radio.

Styling, performance, uniqueness, ability to increase performance to awesome levels if you want to spend the money.

Gas mileage, turbo reliability. While I am a pretty slim guy, if you are a little big around the middle or a re a big person in general you will find this car to be uncomfortable. Also, if you have the choice, get the base model with the cloth upholstery - it holds up a lot better than leather.