Used 1993 Mazda RX-7 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Mazda Rx-7 - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.3L Twin-turbo 5-speed Manual - (32 reviews )

An Unforgettable Car
By carenthusiast7

1993 Mazda RX-7 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

A true sports car and definitely good as a weekend driver. My father let me drive his Porsche 944 (not biased but it was a great car!) but when his brother bought his RX-7(FD3S) and I took it for a spin, it is definitely a car you will never forget. It was faster and handling was amazing due to the 50/50 weight split. There are many people who state reliability issues, but this car was meant to be treated like part of you with maintainence almost instinct(uncle's FD lasted for roughly 11 years before he did some major fixing, 4k engine rebuild, then sold it).

Favorite Features

The power and handling along with the crisp racing feel of the gearbox. Very few cars will ever give you this feeling, i've talked to many RX-7 owners and they will all agree that this car was undeniably unforgettable and difficult to part with.

Suggested Improvements

If you want this car for pure racing/looks there are many parts out on the market for this car. So it is highly customizable for whatever your needs for this car may be either racing or just style.

Japanese Ferrari
By 65tosspowertrap

1993 Mazda RX-7 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

A no-compromise sports car. Rough, noisy ride; cramped interior. Not good on long trips. Scary on wet pavement. 17 mpg. Not a practical every-day car. Find a mechanic qualified to work on the extremely complex engine; I found one at a specialty "tuner" shop. First engine died at 86,000 miles (typical); $5,000 to replace. Make sure you find out engine mileage; engine runs hot and slowly cooks itself to death. Japanese Ferrari in terms of performance and maintenance cost. Expect to pay $100/hr for maintenance. $35,000 maintenance cost over 16 years. I love this car. I will never, ever sell it.

Favorite Features

Silky-smooth, high-revving rotary engine. Turbo boost presses you into the seat; very strong acceleration, but low low-rpm torque means poor driveability in stop-and-go traffic. Handling is unbelievable; car is glued to the road. Beautiful body style still gets compliments. Classic gauges. Rare.

Suggested Improvements

Replace pre-cat with downpipe; less backpressure, more horsepower(!), cooler-running engine. Replace stock muffler with cat-back system; less backpressure and better exhaust note. Install boost and temp gauges; stock temp gauge is basically an idiot light; overheating is death to rotary engines.

A Drivers Car
By C-Raz

1993 Mazda RX-7 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

Great car. If you get one, make sure you do all the reliability mods at the least. Do more if you want more like me! =D It's a blast to drive and always gets attention. I've had someone take pictures of my car while i was driving on the highway. Like I said, it's a great car and if you are an enthusiast that likes to wrench and knows how to maintain the vehicle then you shouldn't have a problem.

Favorite Features

Looks great and performs great. Nice and light.

Suggested Improvements

The cooling system. The intercooler is prone to heat soak and is inefficient when running over stock boost. Umm maybe a single turbo to get rid of that rat nest of vacuum hoses.

open track performance
By sporty cars owner

1993 Mazda RX-7 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

My rx-7 is stock but has cold air intake quiet muffler. I had a full 3"exhaust w no cats last time I went to the track 6year old tires. Boost is 11psi. This car could lap faster than the LT-1 93,94 ZR-1 (Slightly modded to 440HP according to the owner), 5.0 mustang. The gearing in 3rd allows about 110mi/hr and I had to hit 4th on the top end of the track at Holtville. I could carry more speed coming out to the straight than all other street cars. The ZR-1 could pull slightly more during exit but I was even on the top end and I could delay braking and would shoot by at the end into the sharp turn after the straight. Braking at 115mph and handling easly makes up a tenth 0- 60 accel.

Favorite Features

balanced performance and light weight = greatness at any price

Suggested Improvements

2010 turbocharged rx-8?

Get One if You Can
By smoothmoses

1993 Mazda RX-7 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

I've had my 93 RX7 for 14 years now and agree with the others, I still get excited just looking at it. Other than replacing my engine with a JSpec 2 years ago, I've had nothing but fun and good luck with my baby. Young guys stand in awe of the car everywhere I go and it still turns heads when I drive it. Get one if you can and you'll see what all the hype is about. Thank you Mazda for building the best car ever!

Favorite Features

The acceleration is second to none. Supposedly the fastest accelerating production car of its time. I believe it.

Suggested Improvements

None really.