Used 1991 Mazda RX-7 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-7 model:

Performance and satisfaction
By smercina18

1991 Mazda RX-7 2dr Convertible

I have had my 91 RX7 for about 9 months now. I have never owned such a fast and amazing vehicle. It's n/a and yet it still is beating alot of cars in the races. I have not lost a single race yet even against v8 cars. I have never been so proud of a car in my life and I have no plans to ever get rid of it. I am surprised at how well it corners and grips the road for being rwd. All I have done to it is rebuilt the tranny and put a turbo on it. But I highly recommend this car to people. I have been a mechanic for 4 years and I get asked what a quick car thats good to buy is. I always say get yourself a mazda Rx7. Thanks Mazda for making a greatly amazing machine

Favorite Features

More torque at high rpms, Sleek interior design, and amazing engine design and reliability. Also love the amazing handling and road gripping

Soon to be classic
By rotarychainsaw

1991 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Hatchback

The turbo model is getting rare and people are starting to look for unmolested specimens. It is a great car with a definite 1990s look to it. Perfect weight distribution and decent power is pure win. The turbo models have huge potential to make power. Things I dislike are interior rattles and plastic quality. The car is 17 years old at least, so I guess it is expected.

Favorite Features

Turbo, head turning looks, handling

Suggested Improvements

Add sound deadening material to the interior.

Amazing little car
By Pat

1991 Mazda RX-7 2dr Hatchback

What a car! I have owned this car for a little over two years and have been nothing but satisfied with this little rocket. This car loves to drive on the highway. Acceleration from a dead stop is not so great but once on the move it turns into a rocket. The rotary engine is an amazing piece of technology. This car only displaces 1.3L but makes rediculous power. The lightweight almost perfectly balanced RWD coupe gets decent gas mileage for a sports car averaging about 20-21 mpg with 65% highway and 35% city driving. Parts can be pricey but if the car is maintained properly not many problems arise. If any engine work is needed for any reason dont bring to local mech. find a rotory mech.

Favorite Features

Very rare, especially in New England! High RPM rotary engine with 5 speed trans. produces great acceleration. Can compete with many new cars utilizing a higher displacment four cylinder engine. Interior styling very nice for early 90s. Open engine compartment makes working on car easy.

Suggested Improvements

Overall very nice automobile that gets looks and turns heads cuz no one knows what it is!

Turbo Rotary Power!
By Rotaryman

1991 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Ever since I got into rotary engines, I just could not stop. It has become an addiction. I started off with a 1991 coupe, I loved the smoothness of the ride and acceleration. Once I got a rotary turbo, I have been hooked. Power in the mid-high RPMs is superb. The handling and feel of the car is world class. I do not think I can sell this car unless it is for a 93+ RX-7. During its time in the late 80s, it was the champ.

Favorite Features

Turbo rotary engine. Lightweight body. Super handling. What more can you ask for.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy is only average at 17/24 (city/hwy). Lacks low-end torque of a V8, yet still has enough to hold its own. Weak electrical systems in certain areas. Pure-bred sportscar.

Rotary Review
By 19RX791

1991 Mazda RX-7 2dr Hatchback

I have owned a 91 n/a rx7 for over a year now and have fallen in love. For such a small engine it packs a punch. Handling is great, acceleration is outstanding considering engine size, manual transmission a must if performance is required. Will out perform many new cars and almost all unmodified 4 cylinder and some 6 cylinder cars. No major repairs yet, just basics such as brakes, plugs and wires, tires, etc. Check and change oil regularly. As long as maintenance is performed when or before schedule its an excellent car.

Favorite Features

Its a Rotary! 50/50 weight ratio, 8000k rpm redline, rare car everyone asks what it is! Blast to drive and everyone wants a ride.

Suggested Improvements

16" wheels would have helped but no major changes needed. Would like the turbo model!