1990 Mazda RX-7 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-7 model:
You gotta love 'em
By Steve Faulkner on 12/29/05 09:09 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda RX-7 Hatchback Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Have owned 3 of these, and never owned another car. '86 base, '88 GTU and now my '90 Turbo II. It's a beautiful car on the outside with that perfect sports car look, but nothing too radical that will end up looking dated, even now 20 years after the design inception. The handling is top notch, and with a simple plus size tire and wheel upgrade the next time you need new tires you'll stick to the road like glue. Comments abound on the car, and most people can't believe it is a '90. It's funny how many people think the car is only 5 or 6 years old. Grab a turbo if you can, they are most definitely the most fun of the different versions. I'd love a convertible for the summer.

New owner of used TII
By Robert on 08/02/05 00:52 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda RX-7 Hatchback Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I just love the car. I would suggest it might be a car more suited to someone willing to do his own mechanical work. Especially as they get older, even one in good condition will likely need some attention. Incredibly fun car, can be had cheap, and the design looks surprisingly up to date, not losing much to newer cars on the road today in the looks category. Great option for an affordable sports car, that can respond very well to modification. The turbo models can be hard to come by, if you get one, take care of her!

A true sports car
By NCGNETO90 on 01/27/05 23:24 PM (PST)

1990 Mazda RX-7 Hatchback GTU 2dr Hatchback

I have always has an RX-7 in my garage ever sInce I first learned how to drive. The rotary engine has the life of a Honda (if treated right) and has the power of an inline 6. It is the funnest car I have driven. Even more fun than the C5 Corvettes. The 50/50 weight makes for awesome handling. I am a true rotor-head for life.

1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL
By trekie01 on 01/25/05 21:09 PM (PST)

1990 Mazda RX-7 Hatchback GXL 2dr Hatchback

Handles like a Porsche of the same vintage. very fun to drive. very comfortable sport bucket seats. The engine is very reliable, but the rest of the car isn't. I have had to replace the alternator, battery, brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, clutch, wiper switch, radiator, window switches, stereo (I guess I didn't have to), and usual routine maintenance. These cars just reach an age where everything breaks at once. If you get it before this age or after someone has fixed everything, they are very very nice cars that are fun to drive. People will be envious when they hear you have one.

my review
By mazdarx7turboII on 08/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda RX-7 Hatchback Turbo 2dr Hatchback

extremely fast car, fun to drive. has minor reliability quarks but they'r worth the trouble. turbo boosts well at 6.5 psi. dont drive in rain or snow because traction is minimal. and sometimes traction is bad on old roads but only when driving with a heavy foot.

not quite a '90 but still the same thing
By Rheiga on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda RX-7 Hatchback GXL 2dr Hatchback

I just bought my RX-7 from a buddy of mine and I enjoy it. it performs magnificently, all I have is a few small problems i have to fix and it will be in perfect shape.

Speed
By MMJ on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda RX-7 Hatchback GXL 2dr Hatchback

This will have been my third Rx7 and they are fun little cars, they don't have the blow away speed but they love to corner and turn i bought this with just 44k on it so i will keep this one a long time.

rx7 review
By sspilis on 07/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda RX-7 Hatchback GTU 2dr Hatchback

Very relailbe, fun to drive

87 rx7
By indosia on 12/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda RX-7 Hatchback GTU 2dr Hatchback

Great car, Rotary engines have a unique sound. Unlike other cars, the 13b rotary loves high rpms. This car corners like a true sports car. 50/50 weight, no need to slow down just turn the wheel and hit the gas. If your tires are worn the rear end might slide a bit, easily corrected by steering. Thats only when you take a 90 degree turn at 60+mph. The suspension is stiff, so the car stays solid, no bounce. Hit a bump at 115mph on the freeway, I was lifted up out of my seat a couple inches but the car didn't budge.

Best performance available for the money
By Seanius on 11/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda RX-7 Hatchback GTUs 2dr Hatchback

Faster (straight-line)than a non-turbo 300ZX or Supra and handles better than 98% of all cars on the road. The rotary engine is a mystery to some, but it is wonderful and easy to work on in the spacious engine bay. Maintenance is simple. Lots of aftermarket performance options, though these aren't a requirement for fun, unlike with a Honda. Comfortable enough for daily driving, and still stylish even though the design is over 15 years old.