1990 Mazda RX-7 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-7 model:
1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL
By trekie01 on 01/25/05 21:09 PM (PST)

1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL 2dr Hatchback

Handles like a Porsche of the same vintage. very fun to drive. very comfortable sport bucket seats. The engine is very reliable, but the rest of the car isn't. I have had to replace the alternator, battery, brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, clutch, wiper switch, radiator, window switches, stereo (I guess I didn't have to), and usual routine maintenance. These cars just reach an age where everything breaks at once. If you get it before this age or after someone has fixed everything, they are very very nice cars that are fun to drive. People will be envious when they hear you have one.

not quite a '90 but still the same thing
By Rheiga on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL 2dr Hatchback

I just bought my RX-7 from a buddy of mine and I enjoy it. it performs magnificently, all I have is a few small problems i have to fix and it will be in perfect shape.

Speed
By MMJ on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL 2dr Hatchback

This will have been my third Rx7 and they are fun little cars, they don't have the blow away speed but they love to corner and turn i bought this with just 44k on it so i will keep this one a long time.

Best Car Ever Made
By Archea47 on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL 2dr Hatchback

The rx7 is in my opinion the best car made to date, and the 1989 to 1991 models are the best. With a 80 inch 1.3L 13B 6-port rotary engine, the sound and high end can't get better. This is THE car to have if you plan to autocross, or if you just like to corner like that inner maniac. With a 50/50 weight distribution, this is one of the best handling cars ever. You mold into the interior, and get the feeling of being in a jet. This isn't just driving, just like the owners arent just owners. We're fanatics!

Super Fun Car!
By scarecrow on 10/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL 2dr Hatchback

I would have purchased this car when I was in high school if I had the money. Now it is my fun second car for weekends and playing around. This car has been very reliable and only required a tune up and some exhaust work to be brought back to good running condition. It needs some work on the intake manifold (5th and 6th ports), because they are stuck (works sort of like Honda's VTEC concept - but the rotary engine has no valves).

Love my RX-7
By allyrx7 on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL 2dr Hatchback

I've had two now, and I've loved them both. The only serious repair concern involved losing compression in the engine. It's not a problem that will kill the car but it can be annoying the first time. What a ride. This car hugs the curves, loves the road, is fun to drive. Great on long trips, too. OK, so it doesn't have cup holders. So what. You need to keep both hands on the wheel to feel the excitement anyway. The oil-cooled engine is great in Southern climates (like mine) and when you regularly change the oil every 2500 - 300 miles, you have no worries.