Used 1990 Mazda RX-7 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-7 model:

Don't Buy One!!
By Joejoejoe

1990 Mazda RX-7 2dr Convertible

I bought mine with 90 thousand miles which is quite low for that old of a car. I did a bunch of work on it. New brakes, shocks, which are insanely expensive to put in as they had to tear the rear of the car apart to install them. Parts were crazy, I have BMW and parts are half what I paid for Mazda parts. In the winter when I moved to Portland from Ca. I had a hard time starting it. 10 mechanics later the compression was low on one of the rotors. Car had 129 thousand miles, been babied from day frequent oil changes, etc. Needed a new engine. It was fun to drive when it worked but why do these cars have fans, the engines always burn out and people still love them. I am over it.

Favorite Features

Handling

Suggested Improvements

Wankle engine what for poor gas mileage, not fast and gives out at 120 thousand miles. Common problem check average cost of replacement 5 thousand

RX7 Convertible Experiences
By tomperanteau

1990 Mazda RX-7 2dr Convertible

I have owned Rotarys on and off since 1978. From the RX2 through several RX7s. My convertible has an aftermarket turbo on it and it not only the most fun car I have ever owned, but also one of the most reliable. If you take care of a Rotary, it will last well over 200k miles. Although gas mileage is not that great, you save in rebuilds and repairs on the car.

Favorite Features

Style, performance, features.

Suggested Improvements

It is not a light car. Add a turbo or other performance mods and you will be VERY happy with your car!

You gotta love 'em
By Steve Faulkner

1990 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Have owned 3 of these, and never owned another car. '86 base, '88 GTU and now my '90 Turbo II. It's a beautiful car on the outside with that perfect sports car look, but nothing too radical that will end up looking dated, even now 20 years after the design inception. The handling is top notch, and with a simple plus size tire and wheel upgrade the next time you need new tires you'll stick to the road like glue. Comments abound on the car, and most people can't believe it is a '90. It's funny how many people think the car is only 5 or 6 years old. Grab a turbo if you can, they are most definitely the most fun of the different versions. I'd love a convertible for the summer.

Favorite Features

Handling, top end power, and exterior design. The low weight is also nice, and the car is comfortable enough for a daily driver. Interior is laid out well. With basic care the car will last a very long time.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroofs have issues with rust. If you get one without a rusted sunroof I suggest getting it painted / primed underneath. Some minor electrical issues with switches, but nothing major considering a 15 year old car. Replace any exhaust parts with stainless. These cars tend to chew up exhausts.

New owner of used TII
By Robert

1990 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I just love the car. I would suggest it might be a car more suited to someone willing to do his own mechanical work. Especially as they get older, even one in good condition will likely need some attention. Incredibly fun car, can be had cheap, and the design looks surprisingly up to date, not losing much to newer cars on the road today in the looks category. Great option for an affordable sports car, that can respond very well to modification. The turbo models can be hard to come by, if you get one, take care of her!

Favorite Features

Turbocharged, great handling, excellent looks, good budget buy. Of course the rotary engine is an interesting piece of machinery. If you need parts, they can be had fairly cheap as well.

Suggested Improvements

They were notorious for coming out of the factory with low quality paint jobs, and poor wiring; this is only made worse after 17+ years. It is hard to fault an aging car for many other problems.

A true sports car
By NCGNETO90

1990 Mazda RX-7 GTU 2dr Hatchback

I have always has an RX-7 in my garage ever sInce I first learned how to drive. The rotary engine has the life of a Honda (if treated right) and has the power of an inline 6. It is the funnest car I have driven. Even more fun than the C5 Corvettes. The 50/50 weight makes for awesome handling. I am a true rotor-head for life.

Favorite Features

User friendly dash, Big tachometer, comfy seats. Low and sleak appearance. Big stock wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the soldering and wiring needs improvement.