1990 Mazda RX-7 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-7 model:
Don't Buy One!!
By Joejoejoe on 06/30/08 20:23 PM (PDT)

1990 Mazda RX-7 2dr Convertible

I bought mine with 90 thousand miles which is quite low for that old of a car. I did a bunch of work on it. New brakes, shocks, which are insanely expensive to put in as they had to tear the rear of the car apart to install them. Parts were crazy, I have BMW and parts are half what I paid for Mazda parts. In the winter when I moved to Portland from Ca. I had a hard time starting it. 10 mechanics later the compression was low on one of the rotors. Car had 129 thousand miles, been babied from day frequent oil changes, etc. Needed a new engine. It was fun to drive when it worked but why do these cars have fans, the engines always burn out and people still love them. I am over it.

RX7 Convertible Experiences
By tomperanteau on 04/15/07 18:09 PM (PDT)

1990 Mazda RX-7 2dr Convertible

I have owned Rotarys on and off since 1978. From the RX2 through several RX7s. My convertible has an aftermarket turbo on it and it not only the most fun car I have ever owned, but also one of the most reliable. If you take care of a Rotary, it will last well over 200k miles. Although gas mileage is not that great, you save in rebuilds and repairs on the car.

You gotta love 'em
By Steve Faulkner on 12/29/05 09:09 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Have owned 3 of these, and never owned another car. '86 base, '88 GTU and now my '90 Turbo II. It's a beautiful car on the outside with that perfect sports car look, but nothing too radical that will end up looking dated, even now 20 years after the design inception. The handling is top notch, and with a simple plus size tire and wheel upgrade the next time you need new tires you'll stick to the road like glue. Comments abound on the car, and most people can't believe it is a '90. It's funny how many people think the car is only 5 or 6 years old. Grab a turbo if you can, they are most definitely the most fun of the different versions. I'd love a convertible for the summer.

New owner of used TII
By Robert on 08/02/05 00:52 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I just love the car. I would suggest it might be a car more suited to someone willing to do his own mechanical work. Especially as they get older, even one in good condition will likely need some attention. Incredibly fun car, can be had cheap, and the design looks surprisingly up to date, not losing much to newer cars on the road today in the looks category. Great option for an affordable sports car, that can respond very well to modification. The turbo models can be hard to come by, if you get one, take care of her!

A true sports car
By NCGNETO90 on 01/27/05 23:24 PM (PST)

1990 Mazda RX-7 GTU 2dr Hatchback

I have always has an RX-7 in my garage ever sInce I first learned how to drive. The rotary engine has the life of a Honda (if treated right) and has the power of an inline 6. It is the funnest car I have driven. Even more fun than the C5 Corvettes. The 50/50 weight makes for awesome handling. I am a true rotor-head for life.

1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL
By trekie01 on 01/25/05 21:09 PM (PST)

1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL 2dr Hatchback

Handles like a Porsche of the same vintage. very fun to drive. very comfortable sport bucket seats. The engine is very reliable, but the rest of the car isn't. I have had to replace the alternator, battery, brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, clutch, wiper switch, radiator, window switches, stereo (I guess I didn't have to), and usual routine maintenance. These cars just reach an age where everything breaks at once. If you get it before this age or after someone has fixed everything, they are very very nice cars that are fun to drive. People will be envious when they hear you have one.

my review
By mazdarx7turboII on 08/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Hatchback

extremely fast car, fun to drive. has minor reliability quarks but they'r worth the trouble. turbo boosts well at 6.5 psi. dont drive in rain or snow because traction is minimal. and sometimes traction is bad on old roads but only when driving with a heavy foot.

awsome car
By rx7dropindatop on 08/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda RX-7 2dr Convertible

i have a convert, the targa top is awsome. the rotary motor in the car is the best thing to come to cars. these cars can take anything you put towards them. the factory bbs wheels give it a great touch. i bought it because this car has been my dream car and i saved up to get it.

not quite a '90 but still the same thing
By Rheiga on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL 2dr Hatchback

I just bought my RX-7 from a buddy of mine and I enjoy it. it performs magnificently, all I have is a few small problems i have to fix and it will be in perfect shape.

Speed
By MMJ on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL 2dr Hatchback

This will have been my third Rx7 and they are fun little cars, they don't have the blow away speed but they love to corner and turn i bought this with just 44k on it so i will keep this one a long time.