Perfect single dad car
By Clint G on
2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I have had my P5 for about 50,000 miles. I installed a B&M short shifter which greatly increased performance and keeps the RPM up between gears. I have had no problems with the car in the year and a half I have had it. The only changes I made were to increase air flow to the engine by putting in a K&N drop in filter and cutting out the bottom of the air box which improved mileage by 1.5 mpg and bumped up the power by about 4 or 5 hp if you believe Import Tuner Magazine. I also changed to Lucas brand synthetic oil and gear lube. I put a hyperground system in as well, which does seem to assist acceleration and smooth out the idle to about 700rpm.
Favorite Features
Styling is at the top of the list with the large driving lights and sporty looks. Mine already had tinted windows and it makes the silver model look downright sleek. The white background on the tach and speedo looks great.
Suggested Improvements
Definitely put in a short-shifter as it reduces the throw between gears and also allows you to use the cup holders. A hyperground system clears up lag at off the line acceleration and also reduces idle speed while stopped. It also makes your lights brighter.