2003 Mazda Protege5 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Love the car, dissappointed in

2003 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Love the car, dissappointed in service
By yellowstoneguy on

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car new and loved it for 45,000 miles. Had a screw come loose from the intake and go through the engine prior to a recall for that very thing. Fixed the misfire, but started having black/blue smoke issues and had to replaced smashed plug. Whitten Bros. "did" the recall work and claimed no problems, yet when I had to rebuild the engine 1 year later due to smoke, discovered in fact that one of the screws they'd "checked and replaced" had indeed gone through my engine, pitted pistons, destroyed catalytic, fouled engine. Runs great again now, but had to rebuild myself because Whitten Brothers wouldn't live up to what happened and didn't have money/trust for the stealership to fix.

Favorite Features

Great car, drives like a dream. Generally problem free except the one major incident. Looks good, decent sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Mazda should make sure its dealerships stand behind their products. When an error happens, take credit for it. Mazda has lost me as a customer because of Whitten Brothers Mazda. Oh, and the 6 disc changer only lasted 2 years.