2003 Mazda Protege5 Consumer Review: Fun car, but unfixable problem

2003 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Fun car, but unfixable problems
By mike187 on

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the most fun vehicle I have owned. Looks cool and handles awesome. I bought new and planned on owning it a long time. I properly maintained this vehicle from day one. At around 20K my MP5 started having problems. Squeaks from the front and rear suspension over bumps. The rear noise was fixed, but after multiple visits the front was never fixed. During warm weather, the vehicle smells strongly of coolant. The radiator was replaced, but it still smells of coolant. The auto-transmission leaks -- multiple visits, multiple attempts to fix, still leaks on my floor! Worst of all, the car intermittently would die after pulling away from a stop. Looked at many times. Never fixed.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Looks great. OEM sound system with factory sub and Alpine front speakers sounds great.

Suggested Improvements

A vehicle's warranty is good if the vehicle can be fixed. If it can't be fixed, that warranty is worthless. Mazda is making good cars -- I think mine was a dud though. If your Mazda can't be fixed, don't expect MazdaUSA to stand behind their product!