Best car I've ever owned
By crawlnstall on
2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I bought Stella, my 2003 Mazda Protege5, about 14 months ago. It had 95,000 miles on it and now has 105,000. I was previously driving an old beat up Honda. It was a night and day difference between the two. It looks beautiful and new. Interior is great. Bad placement on the cupholders, only bad part of the interior. It is a fun, zippy quick car with great gas mileage. Stock tires drive terribly in any kind of snow, if you buy snow tires like I did its does amazing in snow, but stock tires are awful in snow. Cupholders and tires are only complaints. I absolutely love everything else about my amazingly fun to drive protege5.
Favorite Features
The overall look of the car, its 7 years old but looks only 2 years old. I love how it handles, I can go drive through some canyon roads and just go crazy. I get just as good gas mileage as my friends boring to drive honda's and toyota's. Great gas mileage that is way fun to drive. Comfy seats, great to go on long drives in.
Suggested Improvements
Cup holders are in a bad spot, can't really fit any in well. It does drive a little loud on the highways, a 5th gear would be a nice upgrade. Saying that the tires are awful is a huge understatement. Any kind of snow and the car cannot back out of a parking lot. Snow tires on the car make it amazing though. Very nitpicky improvements as I love my car to death.
By jzoscsak
on 01/24/12 20:07 PM (PST)

I bought bridgestone blizzak for the winter set, but I keep a set of all-season for the non-winter months. I couldn't agree more, having winter tires is critical for this car for some reason.

By san414
on 01/26/12 11:00 AM (PST)

Thanks! I'll check into it. So far my mechanic is steering me in the non-winter tire direction, so I think I'll just have to take things into my own hands.

By san414
on 01/18/12 08:41 AM (PST)

Hello! What type of snow tires do you use? I'm looking to get new tires, and am deciding between getting snow tires or all-weather. However, it seems that the all-weather tires available for the Protege5 aren't good in the snow. Thank you!