2003 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (293 reviews )
Fun, Reliable, Underpowered
By Djwlawdad on 02/15/05 15:59 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car's a lot of bang for the buck. I put 52,000 miles on it in 24 months. No reliability issues. I got the car loaded: leather, ABS, sunroof, 6 CD in-dash, sub woofer, chrome wheels, side airbags, roof rack, automatic transmission, auto dimming mirror, etc. The price was still only $19,100. The car handles great, is fun to drive and can carry an amazing amount of stuff. My only complaint is that it's a bit underpowered. The acceleration isn't great. It could use another 30 horsepower. I had been planning to spend $30,000 on a new car, but after test driving cars in that price range, they weren't nearly as fun to drive as this. My last Protege got 170,000 miles w/ no problems!

Fun Drive, But Not Fun MPG
By zoomguy on 02/08/05 14:09 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in Dec. 2003 and it was the first new car purchase I have ever made. I loved the outside appearance and the five-door hatch design. I picked one that has about every option except the leather. With all the options there is little left to be desired when inside. Larger passengers have complained about not having enough room and four adults are a little cramped. Overall this is a very nice car for what I purchased it for. The fuel economy has never been all that great and the chrome wheels don't look great after two winters. The suspension is strictly for smooth roads. CD changer gets stuck occasionally. Heater is slow to warm up. Tires expensive to replace.

Awesome Little Wagon
By sjrsangl on 12/27/04 14:16 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car!! On a scale of 1-10 I give it a 100 in fun to drive and exterior design. I think this car has great lines and unprecedented style.

Good Sense for Major City
By nole795 on 12/23/04 19:32 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over a year. Bought it brand new in Sept. 2003 and have over 34000 miles. This car is absolutely great as a commute car. It is great on gas, easy to park and can hold a lot of stuff. I bought this car in Florida on my way to Texas for job relocation. I turned in a minivan packed with items. Everything fit in the Protege5 when I put the back seats down. I have never had a problem with it. The Bose sound system is great. The seats are comfortable. The inside details do look a little cheap but then again this is a cheap car. With a 4 year warrant, you can't go wrong. I will buy another Mazda.

Great car for the $
By mazdaman on 12/16/04 19:14 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car!! It is one of the most fun cars I have ever driven. Unbelieveable room in the driver seat. I am 6'4' and have more room then I did in my Blazer. Wish I had the compass and temp. Love the handling but the braking could be better.

great little car
By Lnmop on 10/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great little car with lots of good features at a good price. I wish that the trunk was a bigger (it is really really tiny) and that the leather was a little nicer, but what can you expect for 17K? The sound system is great and it is really fun to drive!

Awesome car
By Jkb on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Awesome little car if u know what u want it for , not much cargo space when u have people sitting in the back seat ..the car is a lot of fun to drive not much power but trust me it gives u a nice feeling when u accelerate.

Nice little car with electrical defects
By joz on 09/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car in 2003 as a new vehicle. Was good until 10000 miles, when a fuse blew that shorted out the tail lights, dash lights and lights on and door open chimes. Fuse was replaced and blew within a few weeks. Now the fuse blows as soon as the car is turned on. The car has been in the dealership for a week now, and they are stumped. Nobody seems to be able to determine the problem, but we have no car for my daughter to drive (unless she drives without tail lights). Mazda corporate didn't know anything about this problem, so it may be just a lemon, but buyer beware of the electrical problems with this car.

A complete downgrade
By Vanishing Boy on 09/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was supposed to own a 2004 Mazda3 s 5-door but the dealership ripped me off and landed to this car. This car is mediocre in every way and dissapointing at limit. The stock tires doesn't grip submitting the car to plow on each corner. Engine power is smooth not fast and torque-less, thrashy at limit. At least every time my friends seat on the front passenger seat they end up taking a nap which is good, that means that the seats are very comfy. The steering and engine response are very responsive (although the steering has a slow feed back.

Too bad they stopped making them.
By katolu on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I test drove the Ford Focus and VW GTI prior to the Mazda. The Ford and VW were cramped (I'm 6'2") while the P5 was very roomy. I'm quite happy with the vehicle, however it does lack power and torque. All things being equal I'd buy it again.