Used 2003 Mazda Protege5 Consumer Reviews - 294 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (294 reviews )

Protege/prodigy
By bob green

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you want some fun on a budget try prying one of these away from some one. This is my sixth Mazda (including a '91 Miata) so you may sense a bias. However this car is so easy to drive enthusiastically, my only regret is that I can't drop the top! Corners flat, easy to drive in city traffic. Peppy without the AC going, OK with. Cruises happily at 75 plus, no problem. Fuel consumption is about 30, but can be stretched to 34 with a lighter foot. Still no rattles or squeaks. At 50,000, feels like it's just breaking in. No defects, one minor factory recall. My wife likes to sneak away with it once in a while. What else can I say? Find a good one used and drive it 'til it drops (200,000+)

Steering, handling, solid build.

Not reliable or maybe not lucky!!!
By Sam

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car 4 years ago. Recently, the engine started making a loud sound and it seems that it may cost me over $1200 to repair it (with only 86,000 miles on the engine). I was hoping to keep the car longer. At this level not sure if I'm willing to spend that much money on a car that's only 4 years old. What would happen in few months if I fix the car! Would it brake again! This is a major maintenance for a car this new. So I would have to say that Mazda Protege5 is not a reliable car or I'm an unlucky guy! I hope my comments helped.

Nicer interior than the Toyota Matrix or Honda Civic. Not as much plastic look in it.

More engine power or make it quietter.

I can't believe how reliable this car is
By mikeyp70

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I now have 85k on this car. I change the oil every 3-5k miles and change the antifreeze and air filter at the recommended intervals. That's it. Changed the brakes (pads only) at 60,000 miles. That's right, original rotors. I had to change my last GM's at 20k because they warped (under-designed). Kuhmo tires only cost $68 and I put 50k+ on my last set vs the original tires without much change in performance or ride quality. This is a great car and the 28-30 mpg couple with low maintenance costs makes it very economical. And oh yeah... it's fun. Nimble and sporty.

Handling, head and leg room. I'm 6'2 and comfortably drive this car 20k per year. Fold down rear seat make it great for carrying cargo. I've picked up stuff for home improvements and packed it with stuff to go camping. Best of all, its sporty.

Wouldn't change a thing.

Fun, reliable car
By McPiv

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First new car that I have ever purchased. I have enjoyed the sportiness of this car. Decent gas mileage. I've used this car for my personal use as well for work. I have only had to do one repair in the 5 years that I have owned it (replaced erg valve) other than general upkeep.

Styling, fun to drive, good handling, great sound system.

Tires are expensive and wear quickly, there are no shops that stock them so they have to be ordered.

A Very Reliable Car
By Nathan

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used with about 50,000 miles on it. After 2 years and 25,000 more miles, I had absolutely no issues with this car. I couldn't have asked for more for the money that I spent. Leather seats, in-dash CD changer, sunroof... even the stereo system was good. To top it off I averaged around 30 MPG with mixed driving (I thought it would do better but couldn't complain). Unfortunately, I was just rear-ended and the car was totaled. I am seriously considering buying another Mazda as I was very happy with this car.

Very reliable, leather seats, in-dash CD changer, cargo rack, cargo room.

Better gear ratios (the engine was at 3500+ RPM at freeway speeds). Engine noise was a bit high as well.