2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (293 reviews )
Fabulous Fun Hatchback
By BozzieBear on 02/17/06 05:38 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new in August 2003 and am now approaching 38K miles. It has the 5 speed manual transmission and no other options. I wanted a daily driver that was fun and very reliable. The car has exceeded my expectations in all areas. I have had *no* unscheduled maintenance, repair, or warranty problems of any kind. Mileage has been 30mpg (75% freeway, 25% city). And the car has been great fun to drive. It has nimble, precise handling and a taut but not harsh suspension. The engine is peppy, but more than 130 h.p. would have been even better. The lack of a limited slip differential is the only shortcoming that frequently detracts from the daily driving experience.

Fun, inexpensive & practical little car
By Lee on 01/13/06 16:20 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

They only made this car for 2 years, which is a shame. It's been replaced by the Mazda 3, which is supposedly more refined, better performing, etc .- but they probably didn't need to. Although not blazingly fast, it's still "peppy" off the line, and a great deal of fun to drive in almost any situation. Easily hold 4 people in comfort, has an easily attachable roof rack (if yours doesn't already have it) for bikes, ski's, etc, and folding down the back seats allow for tons of stuff to be carried. It's definitely sport oriented, so luxury style comfort drivers might not enjoy it as much. For cheap fun, it can't be beat. Car & Driver thinks so too.

Mazda Protoge5 Review
By Concetta Marotta on 12/14/05 00:33 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had a good driving experience with this car. However, I had to get used to the handling of the car, since it is a sport car and it is quick to respond.

My Bentley
By Bentley on 10/01/05 15:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This little car has never failed me. It's as reliable as a Swiss watch. It's the perfect car for "running around in town and to work every day". Living in Miami I use the A/C 11 months out of the year. My traffic commute is in stop & go traffic and I average about 24 - 25 miles per gallon. Folding the back seat forward provides all the space two people need to load luggage for a 14 night cruise. Sustained highway speeds running above 70 mph is not what the car was designed for. I suspect I'll be replacing the original tires at 30,000 miles. This size is an expensive replacement. I change my oil every 3,000 miles. My Bentley is painted silver and looks fantastic!

What you need to know
By Phillyguy on 09/29/05 16:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great, reliable car with snappy handling. I average about 28 mpg here in Philly driving 50/50 city/highway. I'm at 35K with no maintenance issues so far. Still on the original Dunlop tires. Won't go for the Dunlop's as a replacement. The tires are an odd size and only a few companies make an exact all-season match. Switching to a 205 profile seems a good compromise although mileage will drop a little bit.

My first car
By Brian on 09/13/05 18:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I picked my P5 up used from a dealership for about $10k. Couldn't be happier. It fits all my stuff for college, while it is a blast to push through twisties. Decent fuel economy.

Great little car!
By Sam on 06/20/05 18:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Pro 5. The only aspect I would change is the headroom. I am 6' tall and I like to keep the seat bottom a little higher for better visibility. Mine has a sunroof, which decreases the headroom a bit, so I'm right at the roof. Of course, I wouldn't mind a little more HP and better gas mileage, but I think it is a good balance. I've found the interior transporting capacity to be surprisingly large with the back seats folded all the way down. The seats aren't the most comfortable, but the leather feels good and has been durable so far. The ride is a little firm, but with the low profile tires, this helps offset the smallish HP when turning and maneuvering.

Love my Zoom Zoom
By Sarah on 04/12/05 11:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my car for over 2 years and I love it! It is a wonderful little car. Gets great gas mileage and runs so good! I definitely recommend this car to anyone!

Reliable, fun, and good looking, too!
By BozzieBear on 03/18/05 05:13 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my P5 new in August 2004, seeking a reliable, thrifty, commuter car that would still be fun to drive. I like hatchbacks and chose the P5 over the Mini (too cramped) and the Matrix. After 25,000 miles I remain thrilled with my choice: 30 mpg (mostly freeway) and not a single maintenance problem. The P5 was a real bargain and I still look forward to driving it.

RX-8 of Wagons
By Nissan Man on 03/10/05 10:37 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the RX-8 of wagons. The car handles like a dream but is lacking in the horsepower/torque area (just like the RX-8). Had the car for a month and has been in the shop 3 times already. Everything that went wrong got fixed under warranty and now i will put the car to the test to see how reliable a Mazda really is. I have never owned a Mazda (I am a Nissan lover; had 3 and never had trouble). Purchased car because I got a great deal on it and the Protege has been ranked as one of the best entry level cars. Hope the car holds up like my Nissans.